The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

44x33 Viewfinder Masks - RZ67

S

Shelby Lewis

Quick question for you RZ shooters...

My digital back adapter is on it's way, so I'll start shooting with my RZ Pro IID/Aptus II-6 next week. SUPER excited about it.

The only thing I'm really missing, since I bought this kit piecemeal, are the viewfinder masks. I know you can buy a dedicated focusing screen for the 44x33 backs, but I've really had to work on a very tight budget since returning to school. This has meant waiting patiently for great deals to come around.

It also means that I'd rather not spend 3 bills on a pre-scribed focusing screen (right now) if there are easily available masks that I can place on top of the WLF screen. I don't shoot with the prism finder.

Has anyone made their own with some semi-opaque sheet acetate? Is there an accurate template available to from which to work in order to locate the "hole" in the mask correctly.

Really... I work pretty slowly these days and I don't mind a slightly homebrew solution until the christmas trumpet gigs roll in and I have extra $$$ to spend on a true focussing screen.

Thanks for the thoughts!
Shelby

S

Shelby Lewis

Graham... that was exactly what I was thinking.

Thanks Stephen.

S

Shelby Lewis

You've got e-mail Shelby

enjoy the RZ!!!
Fantastic, Yair! :thumbs:

Let me publicly say that Yair has been tremendously helpful to me... I've never bought a single thing from him. My journey to MF has been a LONG one full of conversations with tremendously helpful people like Yair and Steve Hendrix.

It's been a tough decade for my family, financially, and I've had to take my chances in the used market in order to just get into shooting with this fantastic equipment... and Yair (and Steve!) have continued to offer their time and expertise.

Thanks All!

ghoonk

Yair is amazing. He was extremely helpful in the PhaseOne forum when I started my MFD journey and gave me lots of valuable advice. It's great to see him here, and he's a great guy to chat with

R

rgb123

Hi there
I need VF mask for my RZ too... I am using Aptus 17, CCD sized 43.2 x 31.7 mm
Is anyone have this please?

SergeiR

Just use permanent marker.. Do horizontal/vertical orientation in different colours and be done. Way better than overlay

MaxKißler

I made some acetat overlays for my Aptus 22. Though I haven't tested them, as I don't have the HX701 yet. Feel free to use those.

View attachment 62734

Max

Edit: They are being downsized so either pm me or make them yourself in PS.

I used liveview and a CD pen and drew some dotted lines (badly). I do need to rub them off with some alcohol and have another go, but they're close enough for rock'n'roll.

S

Shelby Lewis

Here's a pdf, at scale, that Yair sent me a long time ago when I was shooting a 44x33 sensor. I printed it out on clear laser paper and then used an exacto to cut it to into my RZ viewfinder. Make sure you print it at 100% (not scaled).

I just used a bit of clear tape to hold it in place.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17184321/RZ_75%2B65.pdf

Hope this helps!
Shelby

yaya

:lecture: You could all of course order a marked focusing screen from any Mamiya Leaf dealer ;)

MaxKißler

:lecture: You could all of course order a marked focusing screen from any Mamiya Leaf dealer ;)
Yair, does MamiyaLeaf offer a split image focussing screen with crop lines? Is there one that shows the entire field of view so I can use it with film aswell? This would be good to know because as far as I know, there is only the SA705 available which I personally find highly insufficient.

Max

R

rgb123

Here's a pdf, at scale, that Yair sent me a long time ago when I was shooting a 44x33 sensor. I printed it out on clear laser paper and then used an exacto to cut it to into my RZ viewfinder. Make sure you print it at 100% (not scaled).

I just used a bit of clear tape to hold it in place.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17184321/RZ_75%2B65.pdf

Hope this helps!
Shelby
Shelby, this is exactly what I am looking for, Thanks to much!!
Much appreciated to Shelby and Yair