The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

square sensors

arionelli

Quick and simple...are there any bigger square sensors than 37x37mm, say, something around 42-44mm dimensions, which may just be do-able on a 645?

yaya

On the Aptus-II 12 you can use SensorFlex and set it to shoot square 41x41mm, 60MP

bythewei

I had a chat with the peeps from Phase One last month. It seems like Phase One will not be producing square sensors anymore in the future and by extension, Leaf will not do so as well.

I guess the best way out is Yaya's suggestion of using SensorFlex or Hasselblad's CFV backs with the option of shooting in square.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I think , there is no need for a square option for any back with a rectangular sensor . A square is always contained in the rectangular format and you can choose the square's position later when processing the image in C1 or PHOCUS.

arionelli

Thanks all, I was just thinking there may have been some made a couple of generations ago on the way to the current larger rectangular sensors...I think an Aptus II 12 may be over my financial head at present...good suggestion though, Yair.

yaya

Thanks all, I was just thinking there may have been some made a couple of generations ago on the way to the current larger rectangular sensors...I think an Aptus II 12 may be over my financial head at present...good suggestion though, Yair.
Yes a few years ago you could get back that were equipped with the Kodak 16MP, 37x37mm chip

I suggested the Aptus-II 12 because of the size (41x41mm) but for a lower price you can have a similar functionality in the Aptus-II 10, albeit with a square that is a bit smaller (36x26mm, 36MP)

Best

Yair

Stefan Steib

Just for historic completeness:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+1]DICOMED BIGSHOT 4000 Digital Camera Back – 1996. Example of a professional studio camera back. Other camera backs of that time had CCD sensors that were smaller than the film apertures of their adopted parent cameras, none being a large as a 35mm film frame. The Dicomed 4000 was the first not only to exceed the 35mm frame size, but also to exceed the [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+1]5.6x5.6cm [/SIZE][/FONT]size of a Hasselblad back. Its 6x6cm area array with a mosaic of 4096x4096 pixels (total 16,777,216) was exclusive to Dicomed and overfilled the film aperture of the Hasselblad. The monochrome version was $35,000, sequential color (three exposures) $39,000, one-shot color $55,000. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.epi-centre.com/reports/9604cs.html[/FONT]

Greetings from Munich
Stefan