The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider Digitar 120mm vs 150mm

cng

Anyone tried these two lenses? I'm thinking of adding to my Cambo kit. I would have considered the SK 180mm but Cambo doesn't list it on their website. Current setup is SK 35, 43 and 60.

danlindberg

I saw your post and since I am in the studio I did a quick snap of a 'not so' polished Leica M3 on the tabletop.

I have the Schneider 120 Normal (Alpa), thus, not macro and it is supposed to be quite shabby at close range. Well, I love it outdoors, but I must say that it is not at all too bad close up either. This one is at closest focus possible. The image is cropped, a little sharpening in raw but nothing in ps.

cng

Thanks Dan! I have the SK120 Makro and SK100 for my Linhof and feel similarly as you. Then again, I'm not a big pixel peeper and try not to fret too much about ultimate resolution.

Everyone seems to have the 120 for their tech systems, whereas the 150 seems rather rare. The MTF charts for all the long SK lenses look great and I'm sure the 150 is wonderful but is there anyone out there who has actually used one? Pity that Cambo doesn't seem to offer the 180.

P.S. Nice camera.

rupho

That begs for the questions how the 120 M performs compared to the N version at longer distances?
Any thoughts on that?
Grischa
I have the Schneider 120 Normal (Alpa), thus, not macro and it is supposed to be quite shabby at close range. Well, I love it outdoors, but I must say that it is not at all too bad close up either. This one is at closest focus possible. The image is cropped, a little sharpening in raw but nothing in ps.

danlindberg

I have heard a rumour from a fellow photographer in Sweden that Schneider is coming out with a new digitar 120 that will replace both the existing M and N. The new one should be stellar on both closeup and infinity. How much truth there is in this, I do not know.

vjbelle

I have had both lenses in my arsenal and settled for the 150. My lens lineup is 35, 60, 100, 150. I also have the 16mm extension which brings the 150mm just about to 1 to 4 with smooth overlap from using no extension tube. The 150 is tack sharp and is perfectly even when shifting left to right. The 100mm is also a stellar lens.... the 100 in combination with the 150 cover all of my bases.

Victor

dchew

I too have the 150 (short-barrel for Alpa); like it very much. I also have the 100 HR so I did not look at the 120. Someone in another thread questioned if flare was an issue, but I have not noticed that being a problem.

Focusing is more of a challenge without the HPF ring (Alpa does not make one for this helical). But after Jack's post re live-view focusing I plan to give that process another shot.

Dave

vjbelle

I don't miss the HPF ring on my SB 150 as I find the lens markings to be extremely accurate. The only issue I did find is that the lens focuses beyond infinity. In fact I tried two copies and they both exhibited this same anomaly. This may be a design that is purposely built into the Linhof helical for temperature variations. Its very easy to find true infinity and make a mental note of that mark.

Victor

Lars

I got the 120 N for film photography back in 2002. What makes it stand out (compared to the 100 and 150) is a wide rear element and thus a relatively wide illuminated image circle.

IIRC, Schneider mentions a 100 or 125 mm image circle, whereas the illuminated circle easily covers 4x5" and just about covers 6x17 (56x170 mm) so it's about 185-190 mm diameter stopped down. Probably not flat field and full performance towards the edges. And if the full image circle is used then a center filter helps.

The 100 has a much narrower rear element, as does the 150. I think the 120 macro has at infinity a tiny image circle in comparison.

None of this might matter for a MF-size sensor though.

nyesimmons

using the 120 on arca rm3di - it is sharp to edge of the frame fully shifted - it is a tiny lens and is recessed deeply in the throat of the focusing ring making the controls a bit hard to use and restrciting use of any filter holders at all - not sure how that will play on the cambo - have the 150 rodenstock and it s much easier to use with tack sharp images results - hope that helps - i wanted a mid range lens between 70 and 150 and settled on 120 because that was a frequent zoom setting on my mamiya 75-150 zoom