The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa eFinder enhanced

Thierry

For your information:

The newest version of the ALPA eFinder is available now:

New Alpa eFinder

This module adds 2 new tools:

- 3D level that can be used with Alpa cameras or any other camera.

- Parallax correction and shift simulation for ALPA cameras.

Thierry

S

Shelby Lewis

For your information:

The newest version of the ALPA eFinder is available now:

This module adds 2 new tools:

- 3D level that can be used with Alpa cameras or any other camera.

- Parallax correction and shift simulation for ALPA cameras.

Thierry
Crazy question ... but is there a way for this to work with other camera/back combos to use just as a viewing/compositional aid? Those of us with more, ahem, "robust" (translated=big and heavy) camera systems could find this useful before we set up. I've seen some of the other viewfinder products for the iphone that are out there.

I like the level!

S

Shelby Lewis

Never mind... I see this is made by Dire Studios... who also make the Viewfinder Pro app (which is great).

Thierry

Shelby,

- 3D level can be used with ALPA cameras or any other camera.

- Parallax correction and shift simulation for ALPA cameras. This tool requires an ALPA iPhone Holder hardware and the Pro edition or the Pro Pack module.

Thierry

Crazy question ... but is there a way for this to work with other camera/back combos to use just as a viewing/compositional aid? Those of us with more, ahem, "robust" (translated=big and heavy) camera systems could find this useful before we set up. I've seen some of the other viewfinder products for the iphone that are out there.

I like the level!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thierry,

Have Alpa done any testing of wide angle adapters for the iPhone? I use a supposedly 0.45x converter with the eFinder for IQ160 & 35/47mm wides but it's pretty inaccurate (I'm sure it's the converter, not the application's rendering). I'd love to find an accurate converter/eFinder pair.

One other piece of feedback - I have a spare iPhone 4 that I no longer use for cellular use and which I now use as the viewfinder. If I select the horizon/compass mode the iPhone barfs on the GPS not being calibrated and won't stop popping up the calibration dialog if I can't get gps signal - I have to quit that mode. It would be great if you could quit that gps calibration and stop it coming up and just use the levels.

Thierry,

I was also confused by the wide angle adapters and have been reluctant to move ahead until I got some advice. I use this mainly as a compositional tool, that has largely replaced the small cardboard aides I used to use.

Would really like to know which ones work best
Paul

Thierry

Dear Graham and Dear Paul

There are basically some deviations from one iPhone to the other, not all optics are the same. In addition the converters are as well a factor of precision.
One possible solution would be for the user to be able to calibrate himself the focal length.
This has been discussed with our programmer, and some thoughts are being made on how to integrate and regulate both the focal length and the converter.

The wide angle adapter is still pendent, and tests will be done shortly.

Concerning the GPS remark: we have to look at that, it is new information and has to be checked.

Please do not hesitate also to either send any remark to "Dire Studios" or to Alpa directly.

Best regards
Thierry

Thierry,

Have Alpa done any testing of wide angle adapters for the iPhone? I use a supposedly 0.45x converter with the eFinder for IQ160 & 35/47mm wides but it's pretty inaccurate (I'm sure it's the converter, not the application's rendering). I'd love to find an accurate converter/eFinder pair.

One other piece of feedback - I have a spare iPhone 4 that I no longer use for cellular use and which I now use as the viewfinder. If I select the horizon/compass mode the iPhone barfs on the GPS not being calibrated and won't stop popping up the calibration dialog if I can't get gps signal - I have to quit that mode. It would be great if you could quit that gps calibration and stop it coming up and just use the levels.

Thierry

@ "archivue"

The eFinder Tools can as well be purchased with the Pro-Version (in-App purchase), costs CHF 8.00, and/or is available FOC with the eFinder.

Best regards
Thierry

- Parallax correction and shift simulation... not available with the viewfinder pro !