The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Behind the scenes

stngoldberg

just wanted to comment that this is my favorite post on the forum. I am learning a great deal seeing the creativity of others
Stanley

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Graham, Is that black tape you have applied between the filter and the box?
Darr,

The black gaffer tape on the front filter assembly is actually around the Lee .9ND front filter and the Big Stopper ND filter. The Big Stopper has a rubber gasket to keep light out from behind but the basic ND doesn't have such a feature and so I have to improvise otherwise you end up with a horrible mix of 12/13 & 9/10 stops around the edges.

I also taped up the rear of the IQ mount on the Alpa because I was getting bad light leaks around the back on my DF. I was just making sure. However, it subsequently turned out that this isn't necessary with the Alpa due to the complete light tight mounting plate and camera system. Yay to Alpa, boo to Phase One 645DF :facesmack:

Don Libby

Graham - have to say that I'm very impressed you were able to the birds in one place for the long shutter opening. Actually I'm just jealous of the image. :scry:

Don

darr

Darr,

The black gaffer tape on the front filter assembly is actually around the Lee .9ND front filter and the Big Stopper ND filter. The Big Stopper has a rubber gasket to keep light out from behind but the basic ND doesn't have such a feature and so I have to improvise otherwise you end up with a horrible mix of 12/13 & 9/10 stops around the edges.

I also taped up the rear of the IQ mount on the Alpa because I was getting bad light leaks around the back on my DF. I was just making sure. However, it subsequently turned out that this isn't necessary with the Alpa due to the complete light tight mounting plate and camera system. Yay to Alpa, boo to Phase One 645DF :facesmack:
Thanks for the info as I do not have the "Big Stopper," but I do use a few Lee filters and their hood. What I have used in the past for extending an exposure, is the Singh-Ray Vari-ND that screws on the front element. I bought it years ago to use with a Cooke PS945 lens and 4x5" film. I did use it in Iceland with the Alpa + P45, but I have not purposefully designed a photo around the long exposure effect. I think I'll try it, although the max I can get is about 8 stops.

Thanks again! Live & Learn. :)

Darr

GrahamWelland

Graham - have to say that I'm very impressed you were able to the birds in one place for the long shutter opening. Actually I'm just jealous of the image. :scry:

Don
Now that you mention it, those were some pretty lazy birds! :ROTFL:

Thanks for the info as I do not have the "Big Stopper," but I do use a few Lee filters and their hood. What I have used in the past for extending an exposure, is the Singh-Ray Vari-ND that screws on the front element. I bought it years ago to use with a Cooke PS945 lens and 4x5" film. I did use it in Iceland with the Alpa + P45, but I have not purposefully designed a photo around the long exposure effect. I think I'll try it, although the max I can get is about 8 stops.

Thanks again! Live & Learn. :)

Darr
Darr, you'll want to test the Vari-ND because they do tend to introduce some weird colour shifts and cross polarization artifacts at maximum settings. I've also seen V shaped brightness patterns when you go to 8 stops or so - something to watch out for as you go to extremes at least. Great for waterfalls and other situations where you want a bit but not too much ND. You might also want to check for IR contamination too where you'll get a very magenta cast. I use the Tiffen IRND 1.8 & 2.1 as alternatives to the LEE sometimes as these are great for colour. The LEE filters actually surprised me with their relative neutrality!

darr

SUNNY SIDE CONVENIENCE CENTER
Alpa Max | SK 47xl | f/11 | P45
(at the Florida-Georgia border on Highway 19, Florida)

Camera Perspective

My Trusty Assistant

Last edited:

darr

Darr,

I love the "guard" dog too! :D

Ps. I'm a big fan of urban archeology....
Thanks Graham! That there "guard" dog is Mr. Rusty. He is a Hurricane Katrina rescue. All he wants in life is a little food and lots of riding around in my truck. I think he must have been with a truck driver before me. And as you may have guessed, he is too sweet to be a guard dog, but I find it hard not to take him for drives when I can. :angel:

Last edited:

tsjanik

Thanks Graham! That there "guard" dog is Mr. Rusty. He is a Hurricane Katrina rescue. All he wants in life is a little food and lots of riding around in my truck. I think he must have been with a truck driver before me. And as you may have guessed, he is too sweet to be a guard dog, but I find it hard not to take him for drives when I can. :angel:
He doesn't look like he's guarding anything, more an expression of " if you want to stand in the sun that's your choice, I'm staying here".

tsjanik

I really enjoy this thread. Here’s a shot of leaves from a peony that had fallen on a pile of weeds/cuttings from a garden. I thought it made an interesting still life sort of image. Nothing too startling here, just the context of the shot.

Tom

etrump

Point Roberts, a bit of the USA only reachable via Canada. Shooting some long exposures so my normally pretty Alpa isn't so pretty!

The scene:

Big Stopper & .9ND

Alpa STC, IQ160, SK 150, 1m 15s @ f/11, ISO 50. 13 stop ND

Graham,

Is your sk150 a digital or apo Symmar? I have the APO Symmar and don't think I could get that much contrast in a 15 second exposure.

GrahamWelland

Ed, yes I'm using the Schneider 150/5.6 APO-Digitar. I personally love it - high acuity and generally a super sharp lens.

yaya

Bit of an overkill I know...but it was fun!!!!

Credo 80, WRS, 40mm T/S, iMac 27" (C1 PRO), iPad II (Capture Pilot), iPhone 4s (Cambo app)