The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Behind the scenes

D&A

Me likey. Always wanted a travel vehicle like that. :thumbup:

I once had the kidney pounding beast of a Land Rover Defender … (which was discontinued for sale in the US due to emissions requirements). Attended many properly civilized Land Rover "events" in uncivilized surroundings, and drove it in unbelievably hostile conditions … had a beefy front winch to rescue others that thought their Jeeps and domesticated 4X4s could do the same :D

Ironically, as a wedding photographer, I sold it to pay for my wedding. :rolleyes:

- Marc
Marc, I know the story of the U.S. import of the LR Defender well (and the emission standards issue). I used to lust after one and one day I saw a very slightly used limited edition one at a local independent dealer who though no one would want it, so he priced it for a song. Still it was at a time I had other financial priorities, so had to forego the dream. If I had only known. Eventually ended up with last of the 1st version Range Rover and eventually a Disco 1. I too did all the civilized LR off-roading stuff too, with heart in hand. :). Guzzles gas is an understatement but at least it's roomy.

Dave (D&A)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Yes, worth waiting for those clouds to be all aglow coinciding with end of day sunset! Graham, was the difference between the two tree pics a matter of one or two pushes of a Photoshop action? :)
It was the 15 minutes time filter. Somewhat akin to the alarm clock filter for sunrises :D

Love all those tripods. I occasionally do the same around here on the side of the road, and always anticipate the State police trooper pulling up behind my vehicle at some point, wanting to know what kind of devious plot and trouble I'm planning. It's especially funny when all my cameras are pointing at a rolling hill landscape (mountains in the distance) and cows grazing on the hillside. LOL. In most cases a simple explanation is sufficient.
I must just look like a dork dressed in a photo vest and I always make myself obvious and wave to any passing county cops. The only times I've had any issues have been shooting compressed landscapes using a 200-400VR of Portland airport with a plane landing and Mt Hood in the background. They kind of freaked at seeing a missile launcher of a lens pointing their way and came for a 'chat' although that was a few years back.

Graham, maybe next time I should carry around the pic with your LR and tripods and tell him its normal for people to engage in such activity...LOL!

Dave (D&A)
:ROTFL: by all means!

D&A

It was the 15 minutes time filter. Somewhat akin to the alarm clock filter for sunrises :D

I must just look like a dork dressed in a photo vest and I always make myself obvious and wave to any passing county cops. The only times I've had any issues have been shooting compressed landscapes using a 200-400VR of Portland airport with a plane landing and Mt Hood in the background. They kind of freaked at seeing a missile launcher of a lens pointing their way and came for a 'chat' although that was a few years back.

:ROTFL: by all means!
Graham, you know what's funny? When you mentioned your story of using the 2000-400 f4 at the airport, it brought back recent memories of my shooing landing aircraft at National Airport in Wash. D.C. Those that are familiar with this airport know the runway is less than 100 yards from a adjacent open park near (which is across from all the monuments). The planes coming in for a landing are so low (almost tree top) when they fly overhead, you can see all the detail on the underbelly and the faces of the pilots and people in the windows. So you can image when someone (including myself) point a tripod mounted super telephoto at the approaching plane.

Heck, even with a Leica rangefinder and 50mm lens, I can filly the frame and more! I never seen security stop by except for a few strange people asking certain type of questions that may be plain clothes police. Although I don't see them, there must be dozens of cameras mounted somewhere's on nearby fences and old closed small building in that park.

I have to pull out a recent Leica image to show just how close those planes are. Almost like that Caribbean island where planes fly over the beach and beach-goers (forgot which Island it is).

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Yep, that's the one, thanks! At the park adjacent to National Airport, the planes approach may not be quite that low, but it's not tremendously different either, depending on wind, weather conditions. Make one wonder with all the security precautions these days, especially in and around our Nation's Capital.

Still great for photographing close-ups of aircraft and a few of the monuments within the same frame.

Dave (D&A)

darr

SHELL (macro test)
ALPA Max + Schneider 120M + 34mm MUA x2 + P45 + Helicon Focus

A quick test setup after acquiring 2-34mm and 1-17mm (took out) multi-use adapters. (profoto lights D1-500 + mirror).

~Darr

alajuela

SHELL (macro test)
ALPA Max + Schneider 120M + 34mm MUA x2 + P45 + Helicon Focus

A quick test setup after acquiring 2-34mm and 1-17mm (took out) multi-use adapters. (profoto lights D1-500 + mirror).

~Darr

This is really GREAT!! At first I though it was a circular stairwell.

etrump

Yours truly in a less flattering position getting the job done..!

And the result:

Is it wrong to say the BTS photo has more impact to me as a photographer? The result is a fantastic shot but the self portrait adds so much drama to the whole situation!. :poke:

Pemihan

That's all right Ed. It's not my shot though. My friend Chris did the BTS shot.
But it's the kind of shot not to show my wife, she's always complaining I'm too close to the edge..:eek:

Peter

Is it wrong to say the BTS photo has more impact to me as a photographer? The result is a fantastic shot but the self portrait adds so much drama to the whole situation!. :poke:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
That's all right Ed. It's not my shot though. My friend Chris did the BTS shot.
But it's the kind of shot not to show my wife, she's always complaining I'm too close to the edge..:eek:

Peter
Good job you didn't have a "lying on the rock being held by your boots/belt" shot at Horseshoe Bend. I believe that there may be quite a few of those around in people's archives. :ROTFL:

Pemihan

Good job you didn't have a "lying on the rock being held by your boots/belt" shot at Horseshoe Bend. I believe that there may be quite a few of those around in people's archives. :ROTFL:
Does this count?
It's not at Horseshoe Bend but I'm secured by rope and so is my tripod :angel:

Peter