The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Behind the scenes

tcdeveau

From Iceland last May. Need to play with the post on the final image a little...

H4D-40, 35-90mm, big stopper, TVC-33, BH-55

torger

Long time since anyone posted here, so here's my contribution.

I have a high tripod (Gitzo systematic extra long), and I while it's a bit of a pain to pack (it's quite long folded) I don't regret it as I get to use it quite often. Mostly on sloping ground, but here I needed it to get a high enough viewpoint to not get any sky into the background. I also wanted the horizontal branch of the leftmost tree not be too close to the top of the frame.

With the view camera one still needs to be able to look at the ground glass though, so I had to stand on top of a small rock and balance on my toes. I couldn't really get my eye to the loupe fully so focusing became a bit of guesswork. Thanks to the Aptus with 100% focus check I could see that I managed to put it right.

Another challange was that I wanted the four trees to have suitable spacing between them, which forced me to put two of the tripod feet into the streaming creek. With one tripod leg fully extended into a forcefully streaming creek I got quite some vibration up that leg. It got quite well damped though and at the f/16 shot any leftover vibration was not worse than the diffraction.

Looking at the behind-the-scenes shot it seems like I could have put the tripod a bit further down at a safer position where I was standing when shooting behind the scenes, but then I would get some branches in from the left and at the time shooting I had not yet decided if I wanted to cut to square or not. Normally I have the format in my mind at shooting time, but the difficult shooting position did not allow me to think as much about that.

The conditions was also quite windy so there was some waiting and many shots taken to try to get one with not too much movement in it.

I did check that the rock laid still and the tripod legs had secure footing by putting force on them, so it's not as unsafe as it may look. However I do think that if you don't dare to take any risk with your camera gear, you have either too expensive gear or too poor insurance ;).

Linhof Techno, Leaf Aptus 75, SK90, f/16, 1/2 sec

Pemihan

Way out in The Sand Hills on The Paria Plateau, Arizona.

Cambo WRS, IQ160, Rodie 40HR.

Last edited:

tsjanik

I forgot this wonderful thread. I live 35 mi south west of Buffalo, NY, where, in some areas, a lake effect storm has delivered 5 ft of snow in the last 24 hr. I see about a foot in my area (for now!), but I thought you might enjoy the view from my front door. My turn Will.

ISO 12,800 (K-3) on the behind the scene shot.

Shashin

Gee Tom, I only had four inches. But don't worry, there are some competitions I am happy to lose.

Hopefully, most of your trees and shrubs have lost their foliage. My apple trees still have their leaves in November and I spent some time in our blizzard trying to keep the snow from building up too much. We had some nasty damage in last year's ice storm and I could not bear losing my fruit trees.

How much longer to May?

tsjanik

Will:

I have some large maples (100+ ft) in my backyard that still have most of their leaves. They are always late to drop and sometimes lose a major branch; fortunately, they are not close to any structure. Lake effect snow is normal here, but temperatures in the teens is very early for November. There are many things I should have done before cold weather which are undone, e.g., I have many clay pots in the yard which I'm sure have burst by now.

By my calculations, it's six months to May.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

It's only 5 months, guys! (+11 days I suppose...)

We have our fair share here but nothing like Buffalo and vicinity. But the forecast calls for very mild weather this weekend so it'll all turn to slop.

tsjanik

It's only 5 months, guys! (+11 days I suppose...)

We have our fair share here but nothing like Buffalo and vicinity. But the forecast calls for very mild weather this weekend so it'll all turn to slop.
Bill, I would think that you get major snow from Huron or even Georgian Bay; I know the area around Orillia can get major snowfalls. Buffalo is perhaps in a different category, although it pales to the snow off Lake Ontario (most years). I'm about 35 mi SW of Buffalo and the snow band has been here most of the day. So far, about four feet with two more expected,

An update: A view from our euphemistically named sun room:
That's a bird feeder outside the window. Interesting, some moiré appears in a window that still has screen. The snow is up to the window.

Tom

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Tom, we have maybe a foot here on the Bruce, all of which came off Lake Huron. It's the east side of Georgian Bay (Orillia) that gets the biggest hit because it gets the west wind streamers off Huron AND Georgian Bay.

I do hope your roof is OK - we're hearing a lot of reports of the danger of collapse when the rain comes through tomorrow.

Keep well, Bill

tsjanik

Thanks Bill. We have a small section of flat roof which is on the leeward side of the house, and from previous storms we're very aware of how it can quickly accumulate 4 ft. of snow. That's been cleaned and our other roofs should be OK; however, there may be some serious problems in Buffalo as the rain arrives

I'm familiar with the snows around Orillia/Barrie; years ago I often made trips from here to Hardwood Hills for cross-country skiing. It's a world class trail system, beautifully maintained. I wish it were closer, I'm less wiling to make the drive nowadays.

I've been going though some old scans and found this one taken in your part of the world. I love the white limestone and blue-green water of the Bruce peninsula. It seems this shot fits "behind the scenes" in an abstract sort of way.

Tom

Last edited: