The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Behind the scenes

jecxz

I am keenly aware sharp focus and devotion to accurate landscape reproduction is a goal for many of us, however, sometimes I like to let my creativity run wild. I find batches of birch trees just lovely, however, that type of photograph has been over done and photographed ad nauseam (in my opinion). I like being unique. Used my ancient H3DII39 with 100mm.

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
Facebook

Lars

Lifting fog over coastal dunes.
Nambung, WA, April 2005.
Toyo 810G monorail, Apo-Symmar 240/5.6 on 8x10" Kodak E100G.

Behind the scenes: The hike out to the dune was about an hour in deep sand. Leaving the truck it was still pitch dark. Carrying an 8x10 monorail setup in a backpack is quite a good exercise hehe. When I set up my camera the fog was so dense I could hardly see the dune. At sunrise the fog was still dense, and the morning light colored everything red. Then the fog lifted - I had about 2-3 minutes before the air cleared completely, allowing the harsh Australian sunlight in.
Apologies for the low quality - back then I had a Canon S40 digicam.

Lars

Marbles and Ghost Gum.
Devil's Marbles, NT, June 2004.
Toyo 810G, Fujinon 240/9, 2 minutes at f/45 on 8x10" Velvia 100F (post corrected).

I had set up an 8x10 and a 6x17. I exposed three sheets of 8x10 - the one above was a 2 minute exposure, 32 minutes after sunset.

Last edited:

Geoff

Marbles and Ghost Gum.
Devil's Marbles, NT, June 2004.
Toyo 810G, Apo-Ronar 480/9 on 8x10" Velvia 50.

I had set up an 8x10 and a 6x17. I exposed three sheets of 8x10 - the one above was a 10 minute exposure, about 40 minutes after sunset.

This is a great shot. Thanks for posting. Haven't seen such a convincing argument for film in a while. Please tell us more about this one - shot and processing.

Lars

This is a great shot. Thanks for posting. Haven't seen such a convincing argument for film in a while. Please tell us more about this one - shot and processing.
Sure - thanks :)

Original Velvia 100F transparency:

I found my notebook :) my memory was quite a bit off.
I set up an hour before sunset, made three exposures - late afternoon light at 17:40, last sunlight (sun 1/3 over horizon) at 17:50, and dusk at 18:22 (this image).
Lens: Fujinon 240/9.
Filtering: ND grad 1-stop soft, coral grad 1-stop soft, upside down to warm up foreground.
Exposure: 2 minutes at f/45.

Film was scanned on a Howtek D4500 at 2000 ppi to a 16K x 20K 48 bit image (about 1800 MB), I kept it in scanner's native linear color space.

Processing... this is a bit of a Pandora's box... I wrote my own photo editing software. :D
Essentially it's a layer-based non-destructive photo editing software. Focus has been on detailed work on single photos so it's not yet great at workflow and batch processing. But it's really good with large images, works OK with RAM twice the size of the original file although more RAM is obviously better.

Steps for this image were pretty simple:
- Black and white conversion with red filter for dramatic increase of contrast.
- Burn brush on rocks to add light to existing highlights - this adds depth by emphasizing the three-dimensionality of the round marbles.
- Burn brush on grass and flowers in foreground to lead lead the eye to the center of the image.
- Rip to output file in sRGB for 24x30 print at 360 ppi.

Lars

Found another one - Death Valley, February 2003:

Ebony SW23, Super Angulon 65, 1 sec at f/22 with CF and polarizer (admittedly a mistake) on 6x9 cm Kodak E100S:

Behind the scenes (slightly different location, I found the scene above behind the next dune):

-Lars

Pelorus

Following on from Dan's theme on camera bags. Here's the trusty camera bag in the granite country in Victoria's Great Dividing Range on a glorious day for taking pictures. :cool:

EmptyName.jpg

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Following on from Dan's theme on camera bags. Here's the trusty camera bag in the granite country in Victoria's Great Dividing Range on a glorious day for taking pictures. :cool:
Ditto from Monument Valley with my old camera bag. I miss it ... (although I do love the new one).

Ed Hurst

Cathedral Rocks, Kiama (NSW, Australia). I went here storm chasing, and missed a big Sydney storm. All I got was rained on!

[/url]IMGP7126Step8CropSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

645Z with 28-45mm f4.5 zoom @33mm and Little Stopper and lovely tripod mountable umbrella! 75 secs @f11 on ISO 100.

[/url]IMG_0514 by Ed Hurst, on Flickr[/IMG]

Lars

80 year old boat vs 100-year storm... guess who won.

Winter of 07/08 I lived on Malta, rented an apartment with a nice sea view.

Early December I took this photo from my balcony, using a 300 f/4 lens on my Nikon D2X:

Mid-January a 100-year storm rolled in, massive waves pounded the harbor, with devastating results:

The 80-year old hand-built boat got crushed in the storm. Someone collected pieces of it and left in a pile in the harbor:

M

mjr

Afternoon.

I'm still in testing phase of my new tech cam so not yet producing images I really like but thought I'd add a quick BTS post as it was beautiful here this morning at the edge of the river.

And the resulting shot, 2 image vertical stitch for a square crop. I need to look at a hood setup for the 32mm to deal with the flare.

MrSmith

I have eaten croissants sat on a balcony of the hotel in the middle of that bay in Malta (2nd pic) the weather was a bit more benign too.

Lars

I have eaten croissants sat on a balcony of the hotel in the middle of that bay in Malta (2nd pic) the weather was a bit more benign too.
Yep Italian influence on food culture is obvious - in a good way. Such a small country, you can drive around the main island in two hours. Six months there and I felt a bit claustrophobic. Would love to revisit every now and then though.