The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Behind the scenes

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
6 days of bathrooms
Cambo Wide, IQ150, Rodie 32 and 15'000 Watts of Broncolor flash power ......
Regards,
Ben
Beautiful composition. Great leading lines and use of negative space.

I love seeing the BTS on shots like this. It's a vivid reminder of just how much sweat and thought goes into crafting a "simple" (meaning "minimalist", not "easy") image.

PeterL

You got to be inventive with beer cases when your travel tripod won't reach. Lots of these derelict houses in Barbados, apparently they raise home owner's taxes if you paint you house - not kidding. IQ140 on Alpa STC and 35XL.

Cheers, -Peter

IMG_0494.jpgCF002411_BlueSky_sharp_1200n.jpg

dchew

Posted a similar image in the Technical Camera thread:

I don’t have a direct BTS photo (cuz I’m a loser and didn’t think of it), but the hike was so much fun I want to tell the story. I tried to reach this lake last winter but failed. I borrowed some snowshoes that weren’t quite big enough, and didn’t really know where the trail was. I kept sinking in, post-holing with snowshoes on. Doesn’t make for speedy travel and is pretty exhausting.

This summer I did the whole loop hike from Bear Lake to Glacier Gorge. Although parts of the trail were miserably crowded on a Saturday in July, at least I could see where the trail was and have some memory for the winter when everything is covered in snow. Here is what part of the shoreline looks like in mid-day summer. As you might imagine, “haiyaha” is a Native American word for rock.

This time I had some trail beta and my own snowshoes. The first part of the hike is well-traveled to Dream Lake. In the winter, very few people venture beyond that. From Dream Lake to Lake Haiyaha, I could see some faint ski tracks in spots where the wind hadn’t obscured them (probably a few days to a week old). That was the only evidence I found of others going beyond Dream Lake.

Here is the hike. The scene is looking WSW from the SE shore of the lake:

On the hike back, I captured an iphone image of Longs Peak in the distance (the knob on the left):

If anyone hikes around the Bear Lake area in Rocky Mountain National Park, I highly recommend heading to this lake, regardless of the time of year. It is less traveled than other lakes in the area and quite pretty.
Lake Haiyaha - Hike Lake Haiyaha in Rocky Mountain National Park

Dave

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Grand Staircase Escalante, Utah. Standing on top of a butte similar to the ones in the picture. Cambo WRS, SK35XL, Leaf Aptus II 7. Two vertical shots, stitched and slightly cropped.

My friend Chris shot the behind the scene pic, thanks... As you can see on my shirt it was very windy, it was quite a job to make the image, trying to prevent my hat to blow over the edge and about 700 feet down.

Awesome! I’d be more worried about being blown off that ledge myself rather than just worrying about the hat.

Audii-Dudii

Palouse sunrise from this past July...

I did not use my digital back on this outing, but I did use a technical camera (modified Cambo WDS with C645 lenses) with an A7R pretending to be a digital back, so I suppose this post (barely!) qualifies...

Anyway, my friend and I have our cameras set up and are standing around, waiting for the light and trying to stay warm (it was in the low-40s that morning, which is $*#! cold for us desert dwellers!):

And here's the photo I took:

As well as a stitched pano version I took a bit later, right before we packed up and moved onward to the next scene:

The first photo was taken using an A7R / (modified) Cambo WDS / Contax 645 55/f3.5 combo and the second photo was taken with the same outfit, except a C645 80/f2 lens.

P.S.: Imgur's recompression scheme sucks donkey gonads, so better versions of these photos can be viewed here and here.

Last edited:

Pemihan

:loco:

But, I must admire your cat-like ability to stand on a narrow promontory 700' up :bugeyes: and shoot with your tripod! Nice images, too.:):):)
Yeah well don't show this to my wife or I will be eternally grounded! :shocked:

gurtch

Just stumbled onto this thread. Great idea! And great photos. I tend to walk around with a light camera and wing it! Thanks for sharing. I need to dig out my tripod.....a GFX 50R is coming (pre-ordered, but not here yet).
Dave in NJ

jng

Here's a behind the scenes shot to go along with an image I posted earlier today in Fun with MF images (https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...-backs/4730-fun-mf-images-490.html#post775059), taken from the Marin Headlands overlooking the Golden Gate and San Francisco Bay.

This wasn't entirely planned, except that when I went to bed last night I told myself that if I woke up before dawn I'd check one of the local webcams and weather radar to see if it would be worth crawling out of bed for. As it turned out, I woke up at 4:00 AM and the bay looked clear but the weather iffy. Since I was already awake and the location is only 40 minutes from my house, I just went for it and got lucky with the weather (no rain, not windy and not cold - a good combination). Upon arriving I found that about a half-dozen or so other photographers had a similar idea. :loco::p

John

GGB BTS 12_16_2018.jpg