The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Behind the scenes

dchew

Behind the scenes, aka "What I Did on My Christmas Vacation." Aka "Find a Reason to Demo the IQ4150." 600+ images of leather samples.

I figured strobes would be maddening not being able to see the shadows while folding the samples, so I rented Fiilex LED video lights and lit the whole thing with a combination of those and my track Soraa's. The Fiilex 180's are way-cool tiny little things with power adjustment and color temp adjustment.

The big reflector worked well enough as the primary source. The trick was how to hold the folds, so I set the whole thing up over my steel drawing folder that stores prints, covered with a cutting mat. Enter magnets stacked two high. Just enough force to hold the fold position and give my fingers a workout in the process. Also, added an extra 17mm adapter to the Alpa to get the 90hr-sw focused in close enough.

A (very) small sampling of the results. The black patent leather is a fun shot but I don't like it. I haven't found a way to fold the small 6x6 sample that comes across as leather. I think I need a model with knee-high boots and red lipstick...

Last edited:

drunkenspyder

Shooting sunset, moonrise, and then sunrise at Mono Lake this past NYE and NUYD, with the Hassy X1D/21mm and the Phase IQ4/240x2, where it got a tad chilly. Conditions were somewhat disappointing this year, with only brief glimmers of good light, and some unexpected snow squalls on the lake, though a few shots turned out okay.
IMG_1148 (1).jpgIMG_1152 (1).jpgIMG_1154 (1).jpgIMG_1153 (2).jpg

drunkenspyder

Second trip to Mono since the new year, this one with better results posted in the Fun with MF Images thread. Here is a SOOP pano, and SOOP pic of the Phase setup. I was struck by the subtlety and range of color with the IQ4, especially compared with the default rendering by the iPhone. It was a spectacular morning.

IMG_1190.jpgIMG_1191.jpg

bab

This was one of the unusual nights at the beach first a lack luster sunset that pughs out and then BAM! the sky lights and stays lit for 15 min.

6 stich pano Jan 8 2019 at 6:07 pm 1/8sec at f/14 ISO 64

IMG_9034.jpgKIller Beach Jan 2019_0042-Pano-3800.jpg

bab

Just started raining when I took my cousin to the water for 1 image he just flew in from Saskatoon it was -52F when he left so 58F was nice weather for him. Apps 32 sec at F14? 10 stop and pola with my new 150mm Wine Country Filter holder. Enjoy
IMG_9204.JPGIMG_9187.jpg

mristuccia

I'm not sure whether the rest of you are forced to put up with such shenanigans from your assistants. I'd fire him but he's just too handsome and besides, he comes to work each day dressed in a grey tuxedo. The perils of "working" from home I suppose...

View attachment 139685

This goes with the image I posted in the MF macros thread: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...medium-format-macros-anyone-2.html#post781372.

John
I like seeing that old and cheap S-Planar ending a very remarkable and expensive gear chain. :)

jng

I like seeing that old and cheap S-Planar ending a very remarkable and expensive gear chain. :)
And I as well! The 120 S-Planar is joining the 250 Superachromat as one of my favorites among my kit of old V system lenses. It was also much less expensive to acquire and holds up quite nicely even at 100 Mp. My assistant seems to approve as well. :ROTFL:

John

mristuccia

And I as well! The 120 S-Planar is joining the 250 Superachromat as one of my favorites among my kit of old V system lenses. It was also much less expensive to acquire and holds up quite nicely even at 100 Mp. My assistant seems to approve as well. :ROTFL:

John
I have a 120 S-Planar T* too.
Still thinking of getting a 250 SA. I have no assistant to approve, but I know it will only be a matter of time. :)

Egor

We keep a bathtub around the studio for a variety of purposes including water splash shots and a mini-cyclorama for shooting mirrored sunglasses.

BUT; sometimes a bathtub is just a bathtub...

Model-Bathtub-BTS.jpg

Egor

Eric,
Saw the CI blurb on you the other day. Wonderful work!

Dave
Thanks, Dave! I like your leather shots! Patent is hard I know what you mean!
I haven't posted anything in a while here on GetDPI so thought this would be fun

Egor

Here's one I did of an exploding sparkling wine bottle for a billboard! (printed 50ft wide by 14ft tall)

Lots went into this including special glass cutting tools, water pumping hoses, standard issue DKR (Dexter's Kill Room - used to keep water splashes off the gear!)...massive post-proc techniques ...rinse, lather, repeat for over 25 different bottles!

Oh yeah...Leaf Credo-80, DF+, SK120 Macro AF, PocketWizards, Broncolor Boxlite40's, PaulCBuff Einsteins...tons of DIY mods...

uncorked-bts.jpg

DKR-DextersKillRoom-forLiquidSplashShots.jpg

Nat-computer.jpg

Uncorked-Sparkling-Rose.jpg

TPPS-Diama-Rose-2000px-Full-Bottle.jpg

drunkenspyder

Here's one I did of an exploding sparkling wine bottle for a billboard! (printed 50ft wide by 14ft tall)

Lots went into this including special glass cutting tools, water pumping hoses, standard issue DKR (Dexter's Kill Room - used to keep water splashes off the gear!)...massive post-proc techniques ...rinse, lather, repeat for over 25 different bottles!

Oh yeah...Leaf Credo-80, DF+, SK120 Macro AF, PocketWizards, Broncolor Boxlite40's, PaulCBuff Einsteins...tons of DIY mods...
So cool.