The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Behind the scenes

citizin

I was thinking about this while pulling a lens out of the bag and noticed this. Hasselblad is really tightening their branding. Now even the smudges on the lenses have the signature "H."

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Yes true . Now as you mention it , I looked again and find your post a nice joke .
I hope the poster is not upset , as it is really a nice joke . :ROTFL:

As it's been a while since someone has posted in this thread, here's behind the scenes shot from earlier today.

Behind the scenes.jpg

And here's the photo. PhaseOne IQ4 150MP Achromatic, XF, SK 150/2.8 BR.

19-12-29 IQ4A000374-91.jpg

Jacob

darr

Re: Behind the scenes: Camellias

This was a test shoot to see if I could successfully use a digital back with a shutterless lens and to see if the old lens had a center sweet spot. Using a 44x33 digital sensor is very small compared to the 4x5" film I will shoot with it, but it can help identify some of the lens' characteristics. This lens was acquired to use with film projects. It is very old (c.1880s), soft, swirly bokeh when shot with 4x5" film, and is of the uniquely lens design, Petzval. S.K. Grimes mounted the lens to a Graphic lens board and made Waterhouse stops for it from f/5.6 thru f/22.

My Sinar Norma has a mechanical shutter without flash sync that is old and tired. I only use it on the "B" setting in the studio with strobes.

If you do not have any experience with studio strobes and how you can pop them, maybe this will help: I use the phrase "pop the lights" for two different scenarios. (1) to achieve a higher f/stop. As an example, if the lights' power is maxed-out, and I am only able to get to f/8, but I need f/16, I will pop once for f/8, twice for f/11, and thrice for f/16. The lens is set open on "B" with ambient lights off; this works best in a darken studio. (2) to operate a shutterless lens like the Petzval in front of the Sinar's mechanical shutter, simply leave the shutter on B. In this shoot, my lights were set and the meter read f/5.6 mostly, but after a few shots, I choose to override the meter and stop down by placing a f/11 Waterhouse stop inside the lens. My meter is accurate, but with the type of contrast I was playing with between two lights, and because Waterhouse stops are not as accurate as modern lens-shutter designs, I needed to stop down. I was trying to create dramatic lighting to see how the Petzval would behave, and give some depth to the composition.

The hurdle I faced was how to get the Hasselblad CFV-50c back to work without using its prescribed sync cord. The manual does not get into this type of shooting practice. I can easily fire the Profoto D1 strobes via the Air remote using the "test" button which is what I do a lot with equipment that either malfunctions or is not made to sync with strobes. But this would be the first time I would use the 50c without using its sync cable. Connecting a flash output cable between the 50c and the Air remote did nothing. I dug thru my electrical drawer looking for some type of a sync cable that had a sub-mini stereo plug and some type of sync trigger bound together. I got lucky when I found a couple of aftermarket P45 one-shot cables I could take apart. I tested this 'trigger' cable with the 50c and it fired!

Below are a couple of snapshots of the setup and the outcome. Uncoated lenses do not always play well with color so I converted it to monochrome.

Hope this helps add to your photography knowledge in some way.

Kind regards,
Darr

Sinar Norma + Petzval Lens

Behind the Camera

Color Image

Monochrome Image

dchew

A few weeks ago I was in Hamilton, Montana on business. After a few days of great sunrises when I couldn't get out, I got up early the day I was leaving to capture something in the Bitterroots. Got myself to a nice spot, but this time the sunrise was a bust. Great little hike regardless.

2-image stitch with sk60xl. Those little patches of ice on the rock where the tripod is were tricky in the dark. You know, that instinct to grab something when you slip on ice to keep from falling? Something like a tripod?
:loco:

Dave

dchew

In Washington over the weekend for work. Hiked around Samish Bay yesterday. Everything from sun, mist, fog, rain, snow and sleet. Found this by the trail:

Didn't like there was no angle that showed more water, so I scrambled up the right side a few hundred feet past the back of what you see in that photo (those of you who have shot with me are chuckling right now). Found this spot. The tree helped prevent the camera from playing the Gravity Tumble Game.

Here is the image. A little more water, but not much.
:(
Both images sk60xl, Alpa 12+, ~ 5mm lens fall, IQ4 150, H&Y polarizer to kill wet reflections.

Dave

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
You don’t ring, you don’t call, you’re in my ground zero. Just saying ... :ROTFL:

That said, I was shooting 200+ miles away on the East side.

dchew

You don’t ring, you don’t call, you’re in my ground zero. Just saying ... :ROTFL:

That said, I was shooting 200+ miles away on the East side.
I thought about you, Graham! I am way up North in Lynden, which is just a few miles from the border. Glad you were out shooting so I don't feel TOO guilty! There will be many more chances; we purchased a location in Lynden so this Spring we should schedule something.

Ciao,
Dave

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It’s a big state, and a huge country! enjoy!!

Glad to see you using the blue ring too on the IQ4 :ROTFL:

Last edited:

jng

I thought about you, Graham! I am way up North in Lynden, which is just a few miles from the border. Glad you were out shooting so I don't feel TOO guilty! There will be many more chances; we purchased a location in Lynden so this Spring we should schedule something.

Ciao,
Dave
Hey, don't forget your friends in California! ;)

John