The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hassey Rumor: Open Platform H4D.

fotografz

I'm not sure they can do that. It seems that the H4x is being offered only with a traded-in H1 or H2. Even if the H4D owner could buy an H4x, why should they pay thousands for what amounts to a firmware upgrade? I'm still waiting for a definitive answer on this.
Actually, that would be a firmware downgrade. The H4X has a different grip that's like the H1/H2 control configuration because some grip buttons on the H4D camera are for Hasselblad digital back specific integrated features not available on the H4X (for obvious reasons). The H4X also has a few things specific to using film backs if I understand it correctly.

BANKER1

The 35-90 works just fine on the H4D 60. It gives a slightly clipped version giving about 54 MPs. However, you can elect to have and use the entire 60 MP capture in Phocus. Presumably you could manipulate the image to use the entire image or use the edges for creative effect. I have never had a reason to use the entire image. Not having the 28, I can't comment on it.

I will leave it to Marc to explaining APL since he is much more eloquent than me.

Greg

fotografz

does anyone know if the electrical connections between the bodies and backs varies between H1/2 and H3/4? there may be more than a firmware change.

in the same vein, can you use a H back on the H4x?
Yes, as I understand it, the H4X grip control configuration is different from the H3D-II/H4. Don't know if the e-contacts are different, but they probably are.

No, you aren't supposed to be able to interchange HD backs, although I've read where some have done it successfully ... something to do with calibrations between all of the components.

-Marc

fotografz

Ok, let's play your way.....

Here's some questions from one professional photographer :

1. Is the H4x mechanically identical (or as nearly as dammit) to a H4D?

2. Is the primary difference in the firmware? Note that nearly everyone I have spoken to thinks it is.

3. If it is merely a firmware update that will allow third party backs to be used, then why are H3 and H4 users denied access to it?

4. Is it possible that in jurisdictions such as Australia that have legislation such as the Trade Practices Act, this restriction could lead to litigation? (I am not taking the p*ss here. I was asked this exact question by a photographer from a major Brisbane studio)

5. Will a H4D60 back (for example) work on a H4x?

Cheers,
Okay, I read the announcement including the question and answer section.

It isn't that difficult to get.

There are a good number of H1, H2 and some H2F users out there, many with 3rd party backs, some with Hasselblad CF and CF-II backs (including Multi-Shots like I used to use on a H2F). They also have an investment in HC lenses. The H4X now provides a path to replace the out of production and aging H1/H2s while also providing some, but not all, of the more recent innovations like True Focus, Absolute Position lock, and use of the HCD lenses (28 and 35-90)

It has nothing to do with upgrading backs or subjective comparisons of backs. It allows current users to continue on their chosen path with the back they currently have, or if they wish, a newer Leaf, Phase One back if they so choose. Most pros I know aren't as interested in changing the back they now have, but are concerned that if there are no more reliable H1/H2s in future that their considerable investment in lenses will have to sold/traded for a completely new system using a camera they don't prefer.

As a H4D/60 user, David is right, I'm not even remotely interested in dropping another bundle to get a different back, and we'll just leave it at that.

It's just a simple move to support long time H users even though they use a competitive back.

Proving that no good deed goes unpunished ;)

-Marc

P.S., regarding #5 ... No a H4D/60 back is not supposed to not work on a H4X ... the firmware and grip hardware are different. I do not know if the e-contacts are also different. For a spare body, the H4D/60 user can secure a second matched H4D body calibrated to his/her 60 back.

bensonga

One thing is clear to me after reading the many posts on this thread.....not being on the cutting edge of MF digital photography is a blessing in disguise. All I want from Santa this year is a 203FE to go with my CFV-16II.

Long live those "Fat Pixels".

Gary

Last edited:

BANKER1

Great post Gary. I miss those fat pixels. My CFV16 gave some spectacular results. We all like our systems and an attack on our judgement on them does raise some hackles.

Greg Keeton

JSK Rangefinder

I'm not sure they can do that. It seems that the H4x is being offered only with a traded-in H1 or H2. Even if the H4D owner could buy an H4x, why should they pay thousands for what amounts to a firmware upgrade? I'm still waiting for a definitive answer on this.
I'm sure down the road there will be other alternatives for H4D.. anyways, not sure if majority of H4D owners are or have any immediate attention to upgrade their cameras as much as 80% of industry used H1/H2 LEAF/PhaseOne owners do..

as far as purchasing options, this is what I read.. (and I wrote this comment in similar thread before..) "The H4X provides a fantastic successor or an upgrade to your H1 or H2/HF body"

I mean, this is the best MF news so far.. and perfect timing by Hasselblad

johnnygoesdigital

FYI, the H2F has been out for some time, it allows use of film or a CF/CF-II back and among other things allows use of the HCD lenses which the H1/2 did not. I know, I had one. The H4X expands on that by opening up the choice of backs and adds features like TF, APL.

While the H4X is a nice camera, it doesn't have all the integrated features of the dedicated H4D camera.

-Marc
That's right, thanks Marc...
I don't know much about the CF/CF-II DB's. I was close to purchasing an H2, but really liked the concept behind TF, and HCD lenses. For me, the H3/H4, is what I thought I needed when starting my MFD quest. You might remember my tirade when I purchased my first H model, now comes the H4x, the perfect solution for me.
As far as film is concerned, almost every fine art photographer I know, shoots film. Their prints fetch amazing amounts of money, and they never shoot digital, or in color. in fact, they balk at the thought of digital as an art medium. It's the grain vs noise issue I guess. The point is, if there's a Hasselblad model that offers all the current features of the H4D, but can also be used with any DB and film, then that's a good thing.

johnnygoesdigital

One thing is clear to me after reading the many posts on this thread.....not being on the cutting edge of MF digital photography is a blessing in disguise. All I want from Santa this year is a 203FE to go with my CFV-16II. Long live those "Fat Pixels".

Gary
Here, Here, Fat Pixels! I too am glad that I've taken a reprieve from the intoxicating, often foolish need to upgrade. Every new, "must have" feature that's released every so often, should be enough to realize the vicious cycle of planned obsolescence. Honestly, no matter how long you wait to make a decision, the next day after you commit, the latest and greatest is available for thousands less! The CFV DB's are amazing!

JorisV

I agree there are some weird aspects to this program with the H4X, but I can never understand why the most dissatisfaction and, really, venom, about what Hasselblad does and does not do comes from those who don't use, and would not even consider using, their products.
+1

hcubell

Two question, Marc. What is "Absolute Position Lock"? And, how effectively do the 28 and 35-90 work on an H4D-60? The Hasselblad Q and A is vague on the latter issue.
Perhaps someone else knows the answers to these questions.
Thanks.

tjv

Man, this thread turned crazy really quickly! Personally, having no horse in this "race", all things considered this seems like a smart move on Hasselblad's part.

AlexLF

OK, I might be still far from digital MF but I have to say I'd really have a go with Hasselblad because I like their integration. It's just one thing that stops me here (except for the cost ;) ) - it's the inability to use their back on technical cameras (I know there is a way but it's far from perfect).

Jeffg53

Man, this thread turned crazy really quickly! Personally, having no horse in this "race", all things considered this seems like a smart move on Hasselblad's part.
I agree. I just don't understand the heat. Hasselblad announce an upgrade path to the latest camera for users of older H kit and everyone goes into a frenzy. Meanwhile, Mamiya body users wait patiently for a new body sometime in the future and nobody seems to mind. Like I said, I just don't understand it at all.:deadhorse:

fotografz

OK, I might be still far from digital MF but I have to say I'd really have a go with Hasselblad because I like their integration. It's just one thing that stops me here (except for the cost ;) ) - it's the inability to use their back on technical cameras (I know there is a way but it's far from perfect).
FYI, The HD backs mount on any technical camera with the proper adapter just like any back. The one lacking aspect is there is no on-board battery so it requires a separate battery or use of the Image Bank-II when not tethered to a computer. The H4D/60 now has a port on the bottom of the back for a battery, and the battery solution for it is in final testing and very close to being offered.

-Marc

AlexLF

FYI, The HD backs mount on any technical camera with the proper adapter just like any back. The one lacking aspect is there is no on-board battery so it requires a separate battery or use of the Image Bank-II when not tethered to a computer. The H4D/60 now has a port on the bottom of the back for a battery, and the battery solution for it is in final testing and very close to being offered.

-Marc
Thank you, Marc. That is promising. The idea of having fully integrated back + body + lens + software package with the option of attaching the back to a technical camera sounds like photo freedom to me :)

Citizen N

Perhaps someone else knows the answers to these questions.
Thanks.
The quality of my 28mm with the H4D-60 is uncropped very good up to the edges if stopped down to 11 or 16.

But I should mentioned that I selected my copy out of 4 and not each copy's performance was acceptable.

Michael

johnnygoesdigital

Thank you, Marc. That is promising. The idea of having fully integrated back + body + lens + software package with the option of attaching the back to a technical camera sounds like photo freedom to me :)
There's the option too, of using a Hasselblad CFV DB for technical photography. These have on-board batteries like a Phase and no micro lenses, so you can go wide!

BobDavid

Hasselblad takes on wiener dog, Harley-Davidson, and a unique individual. The photo below is close to a 100% crop. It was taken with an obsolete H2f, CF-39 MS, and a HC120 I macro lens. The full-frame picture and story: http://bit.ly/th6seN