Site Sponsors

Thread: buying a 28 for technical camera now ...

Post Thanks / Like

buying a 28 for technical camera now ...

the 28 rodenstock used to be the king with a small image circle
    then the 28 schneider was launch, it was supposed to be a dream...
    but, in real world the color cast seems to be a problem, and the good image circle not as large as announced !

So, if you have to buy a 28 today ( for 36x48 now and probably larger sensor in the future), what would be your choice ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: buying a 28 for technical camera now ...

The 23 Rodie. Serious, I've bashed my head against this for three months now, there just isn't a good, viable 28 solution for full frame. As of right now, any 28 does not work well on the IQ180, and the newest SK barely works on the IQ160 -- but it does work, albeit with limited movement. We need a good, large IC retrofocus design for the latest high res DB's. If you're shooting any of the crop backs, then it will be fine.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I want someone to send me that new SK 28 to test on my 160 just for grins. Its the lens i really want too. I'm dead serious here. I need to test it
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    So, if you have to buy a 28 today ( for 36x48 now and probably larger sensor in the future), what would be your choice ?
    I work with the HR-Digaron 28mm lens and a CFV-39 and CFV-50 and from the experience I could gain up to now , I can only say , I would buy this lens again .
    The lens gives extremely sharp images and the color cast it produces is properly corrected in PHOCUS , when using the corresponding LCC shot .
    The color cast is visible but Not extreme , really Not near as extreme as we have seen it from SK lenses with
    the new IQ1xx backs .
    I can Not understand people complaining about the distortion of the HR lenses as a big disadvantage when comparing WA lenses from SK and RODENSTOCK .
    The ALPA correction algorithms do a very good job , are easy to handle and they are for free .
    I think it easier to handle lens distortions then almost uncorrectable color casts .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

"any 28 does not work well on the IQ180"

the 32 rodenstock on a full frame IQ180 is similar to a 28 on a 36x48 sensor (P25+, P45+, Aptus II 5 et II 7... )