Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Strange frames on Aptus II 80

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Strange frames on Aptus II 80

Any idea what is happening on these 3 frames? These are on a DF with 80LS and Leaf Aptus 80. In all fairness, its frames out of about 1000 from a recent golf trip to St. Andrews.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Cheers...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Strange frames on Aptus II 80

I actually get the same thing on my Aptus-II 12. Not sure what's happening, here. It shows up in both Capture One, and in the exported image. Any resolution on this matter would be appreciated.
    --
    Gabe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ah, it's not just me then

It almost seems like the card did not finish writing or something, and I don't recall seeing this on the LCD on the back either.

Having said that, if you look at the image of the castle, it's overlayed with an image of the R&A clubhouse. I am certain that these two images are not in sequence, although on the same card.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    Ah, it's not just me then

It almost seems like the card did not finish writing or something, and I don't recall seeing this on the LCD on the back either.

Having said that, if you look at the image of the castle, it's overlayed with an image of the R&A clubhouse. I am certain that these two images are not in sequence, although on the same card.
    Yeah, I was worried it was just me, too. Strength in numbers, I suppose. I get the same *exact* thing. Non-sequential images having artifacts from other images. Sometimes when I view them, the artifacts will actually disappear. It's really odd. At first, I figured it was my memory card (and partly, perhaps it was). But now, I have extremely high-quality Lexar Professional and Team CF cards. It still shows up, even with proper formatting, etc. It's not extremely common, but it does bother me quite a lot.
    --
    Gabe

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as I saw the image in the first post, I knew this was a CF card issue. I have a tech support case about this at the moment, but Leaf haven't really given any answer after nearly a month. You're lucky if you only get this once or twice in 1000 shots. I have been getting it in 1/4 shots with some cards.

Shelby Lewis

I get similar images ANY time I use my Kingston brand 16GB cards on my aptus II 6... not to mention several other strange glitches.

Sandisk = no glitches.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I still get it pretty often. I have the tendency to think it's more about the files and less about the actual CF cards, though. I had several .MOS files that were just fine when I imported them, but having recently gone back to view them a couple of months later, it appears that about 80 percent of the images taken were affected by this odd artifacting.

I've previously submitted a trouble ticket, as well, with little help/closure. The main points that were mentioned in support were ensuring that it's properly formatted (FAT32, MBR), and using quality CF cards. Check, and check, but the problem still occurs.
    --
    Gabe

Post Thanks / Like

Well I can only suggest that everyone who has this issue opens a support case (if you do not already have an open support case on the matter). Keeping quiet about it won't help.

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by coulombic View Post
    Yeah, I still get it pretty often. I have the tendency to think it's more about the files and less about the actual CF cards, though. I had several .MOS files that were just fine when I imported them, but having recently gone back to view them a couple of months later, it appears that about 80 percent of the images taken were affected by this odd artifacting.
    Just for our info... are these saved compressed or uncompressed (lossless)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    Just for our info... are these saved compressed or uncompressed (lossless)?

In the metadata, it's listed as "RAW." I believe that to be uncompressed/lossless?
    --
    Gabe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

uncompressed....they show up like this when opened in C1 and also output from C1 like this.

Shelby Lewis

I save uncompressed as well... but haven't seen files like these in a long while. As long as I stay away from certain cards, I'm ok.

Post Thanks / Like

"I save uncompressed as well..."

then you can't use LCC in C1 ?

i had the same problem with a lexar UDMA... it happens only once on a sandisk that was used before on a canon and reformated after...

nowadays i only use sandisk extreme , and never swap cards from on camera to the other.

Shelby Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    "I save uncompressed as well..."

then you can't use LCC in C1 ?

i had the same problem with a lexar UDMA... it happens only once on a sandisk that was used before on a canon and reformated after...

nowadays i only use sandisk extreme , and never swap cards from on camera to the other.
    I'm not a c1 user...

I shoot portraits with a very limited assortment of lenses on an RZ and find that since the crop on those lenses is so severeusing a 44x33 sensor that no LCC is really needed (using only the central sweet spot). I stay inside lightroom and photoshop for the most part.

I too have switched cards between camera makes (canon and leaf) as well... and now wonder if that has something to do with this as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same issue on my Aptus II 5. Only shooting tethered, no CF card at all. You should take the back to your dealer to be checked, it could be the e-box.

Jason.

fpkphoto

I also had problem with picture coming split in half with different exposure and saturation. This happened to a CF card that was used without problem before. Opened the case with Leaf Support. They didn't give me a satisfactory explanation, yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fpkphoto View Post
    I also had problem with picture coming split in half with different exposure and saturation. This happened to a CF card that was used without problem before. Opened the case with Leaf Support. They didn't give me a satisfactory explanation, yet.
    This actually sounds like a gain issue that was occurring with the Aptus backs some time back, where different sub-sensors of the CCD were receiving/processing signal at different rates than other sensors (leaving evident lines/differently exposed areas in the image). To my knowledge, this was at least somewhat fixed. Of course, I still got that occasionally with my P65+, and every now and again with my Aptus-II 12. I guess it just comes with the territory of using a composite sensor.

Regarding the rest of this thread -- has anyone made any headway on this? I have very few problems when I format my card after each use, and never actually work off the card. Still, there are still anomalies, and this feels inexcusable to me. I've not been able to send a RAW file to Leaf for analysis -- has anyone else? Has anyone else tried processing via Leaf Capture, or the Leaf RAW Processing utility? I don't have an Apple computer, so that's out for me, and the Leaf RAW utility didn't seem to work correctly.
    --
    Gabe

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have uploaded some files to Leaf. If you look at the sample I posted here, the stripes are actually parts of the previous capture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by coulombic View Post
    This actually sounds like a gain issue that was occurring with the Aptus backs some time back, where different sub-sensors of the CCD were receiving/processing signal at different rates than other sensors (leaving evident lines/differently exposed areas in the image). To my knowledge, this was at least somewhat fixed. Of course, I still got that occasionally with my P65+, and every now and again with my Aptus-II 12. I guess it just comes with the territory of using a composite sensor.

Regarding the rest of this thread -- has anyone made any headway on this? I have very few problems when I format my card after each use, and never actually work off the card. Still, there are still anomalies, and this feels inexcusable to me. I've not been able to send a RAW file to Leaf for analysis -- has anyone else? Has anyone else tried processing via Leaf Capture, or the Leaf RAW Processing utility? I don't have an Apple computer, so that's out for me, and the Leaf RAW utility didn't seem to work correctly.
    I don't belief this is a C1/LC issue as you can see it in the raw file thumbnail in the Mac OS. I also had an email from YaYa stating that he had submitted a case so the Leaf guys are working on it -- BTW, I thought that was fantastic of him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fpkphoto View Post
    Can you please contact me offline with the case number so that we can follow it up? thanks!
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like

Sooooo... For those who got files that are suddenly got bad..
    Have you tried to clean CaptureOne cache (directory) where images are?

B/c i had this exact thing with garbled images and that was it.

For others who shoot with CFs - have you tried to reformat cards?

I am not being smart bugger, just curious, b/c i have my own bones to pick with Leaf support

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Sooooo... For those who got files that are suddenly got bad..
    Have you tried to clean CaptureOne cache (directory) where images are?

B/c i had this exact thing with garbled images and that was it.

For others who shoot with CFs - have you tried to reformat cards?

I am not being smart bugger, just curious, b/c i have my own bones to pick with Leaf support
    In my case, I don't believe it was a cache issue since I had a fresh install of C1 on my MBP setup for my Scotland trip.

In any case, my dealer (who is fantastic btw) is working with Leaf on the issue. They suspect it may be a card reader issue.

Post Thanks / Like

In my case, I don't believe it was a cache issue since I had a fresh install of C1 on my MBP setup for my Scotland trip.

In any case, my dealer (who is fantastic btw) is working with Leaf on the issue. They suspect it may be a card reader issue.
    I also had this issue from the start with a fresh installation of C1. I doubt it's a card reader issue, as the same card and reader work fine with other cameras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I also had this issue from the start with a fresh installation of C1. I doubt it's a card reader issue, as the same card and reader work fine with other cameras.
    Thanks, I'll let me dealer know. My cards and reader have worked fine on all my Canons and M9 as well.

Going through the rest of my files, I noticed a second issue. I have purple casts down the middle or sides of some frames. This was with a SK 80LS lens so typical LCC should not be an issue. I've got a ticket open on this as well, and quite frankly, this is the more concerning issue for me at this point.

I don't mind issues, as long as they are consistent and predictable

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered a synch issue with the shutter and DB? I know artifacts can come from a faulty CF card, but the color casts in the images seem to suggest maybe the DB is not fully "awake" when the shutter fires. Check the contacts.

Post Thanks / Like

C1 has apparent bug when they trying to build images "proxy" (caches) for images. I had it on some images from Leaf (not from Mamiya, which is interesting) when upgraded to 6.. Getting still every now and then, when its tying to build proxies at same time as file getting written. It may corrupt result file or thumbnail - depending on how lucky you are. Same file will open fine with LC. I found that deleting subdirectory with proxies will cure this.

I think its just a simple race condition in code, where file isnt detected right to be "completely there".

But in some other cases i think its a card reader. Then again - i tried many and swear by sandisk ones, and they never ever did let me down.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'll let me dealer know. My cards and reader have worked fine on all my Canons and M9 as well.

Going through the rest of my files, I noticed a second issue. I have purple casts down the middle or sides of some frames. This was with a SK 80LS lens so typical LCC should not be an issue. I've got a ticket open on this as well, and quite frankly, this is the more concerning issue for me at this point.

I don't mind issues, as long as they are consistent and predictable
    Uh oh.. now that sounds like stuff i had and that was fixed by MAC only after two attempts.. (while of course - introducing others - which i can work around for all except one. and it pisses me off to no end).. initially it was "blamed" on me not formatting and naming CF card right).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Have you considered a synch issue with the shutter and DB? I know artifacts can come from a faulty CF card, but the color casts in the images seem to suggest maybe the DB is not fully "awake" when the shutter fires. Check the contacts.
    If you look closely at the files shown here, you might notice that the purple stripes contain detail from other images! This is not merely a problem with a capture, it is a corruption of the raw files themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

If you look closely at the files shown here, you might notice that the purple stripes contain detail from other images! This is not merely a problem with a capture, it is a corruption of the raw files themselves.
    I do notice the images now, but it seems unlikely that every CF card would be corrupt. Although, I did have a batch of Lexar's that had to be replaced because of an issue in manufacturing. The issue might be in the pins themselves in the DB CF bay, which would cause a corrupt signal to any CF card. Since some have mentioned that the corrupt image is visible on the LCD after capture, I would be concerned with the CF bay connection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham,

just to be clear, the issue I was describing later in the thread is a different one. Yes, there is some kind of corruption going on as you describe in the initial images I posted. However, upon reviewing the rest of my images, I have found a second, and for me, a more concerning issue with purple casts. See attached images below. All of this was with the 80LS so I don't believe it is like cast issues several people have reported using wides on tech cams.

Post Thanks / Like

Jagsiva,

It is very unlikely that you would have color cast with an 80mm LS, as obtuse light angles mostly have an effect on wider focal lengths. Sometimes with mechanical shutter releases and digital backs, there's a tendency to put too much pressure on the shutter release itself before actually making a capture. This can result in the DB waking up or being "charged", but if it's not in sync with the shutter at the perfect moment, color cast can be observed. Although, your's is not mechanical or analog perhaps the shutter release is too sensitive during half press for focusing and nano seconds ahead of intended capture.
    By isolating the sequence, it can narrow the search...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jagsiva,

It is very unlikely that you would have color cast with an 80mm LS, as obtuse light angles mostly have an effect on wider focal lengths. Sometimes with mechanical shutter releases and digital backs, there's a tendency to put too much pressure on the shutter release itself before actually making a capture. This can result in the DB waking up or being "charged", but if it's not in sync with the shutter at the perfect moment, color cast can be observed. Although, your's is not mechanical or analog perhaps the shutter release is too sensitive during half press for focusing and nano seconds ahead of intended capture.
    By isolating the sequence, it can narrow the search...
    I completely agree on this NOT being a lens cast issue given that all these
    are with the 80LS, I think I also mentioned this in my text with the images above. However, I am lost as to the reasoning behind the rest of what you say. Are you suggesting that I'm somehow squeezing the camera too hard forcing the back to go out-of-sync withe DF body? The shutter has two positions - half press and full press, not sure how the pressure applied (net result will of course be a full-press of the shutter) affects the back...

I don't mean to be daft, but this sounds way out there

One explanation I heard is that the back takes some form of a dark frame for noise subtraction, and this frame is out of sync somehow, and so when the subtraction is done, there is a cast.

Also, I checked the timing sequence of these images. For example, the 3rd image has an image previous to it that is a minute apart. The conclusion I can draw from this is that the back was not "asleep" when I took this frame.

Post Thanks / Like

I do notice the images now, but it seems unlikely that every CF card would be corrupt. Although, I did have a batch of Lexar's that had to be replaced because of an issue in manufacturing. The issue might be in the pins themselves in the DB CF bay, which would cause a corrupt signal to any CF card. Since some have mentioned that the corrupt image is visible on the LCD after capture, I would be concerned with the CF bay connection.
    I never said it was the CF cards. It seems more likely that the files are being partially written over each other by the back. Anyway, Leaf is trying to figure it out as we speak.

Post Thanks / Like

Graham,

just to be clear, the issue I was describing later in the thread is a different one. Yes, there is some kind of corruption going on as you describe in the initial images I posted. However, upon reviewing the rest of my images, I have found a second, and for me, a more concerning issue with purple casts. See attached images below. All of this was with the 80LS so I don't believe it is like cast issues several people have reported using wides on tech cams.
    Yes, that is a different issue. Have you noticed that the purple tint is always lined up with the brightest part of the image? Perhaps you could devise a test for this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, that is a different issue. Have you noticed that the purple tint is always lined up with the brightest part of the image? Perhaps you could devise a test for this.
    You may be onto something, i looked at a few images, not all, and it does appear to be in the brightest area of the image.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm.. light leak?

Post Thanks / Like

Graham,

This looks more like a physical issue than one of software nature. It's either coma, or some kind of falloff issue -- noted by Graham, the brightest area is where the purple "orbs" show up. I don't think contacting Leaf support will help all that much -- no lens is impervious to aberrations. Though, it might benefit you to sample other lenses in similar circumstances.
    --
    Gabe

Post Thanks / Like

Sample multiple lenses. If it's a recurring theme, it's either the body or the back itself. If it magically fixes itself, it's probably the lens and or lighting combination. Note all settings -- aperture, shutter speed, etc.

RE: the actual topic of this thread -- corrupt files from the Aptus-II 12, has anyone received any resolution or further assistance? My hope is that Leaf will develop a relatively simple piece of software that "repairs" files, scanning them for certain errors, and repairing whenever necessary (assuming all of the data is actually there -- which, it should be).

At this point, I have more than two dozen affected files. I don't want to discard them, as some are images I'd really like to eventually process/print. So, despite not being able to use them in any way, I simply save them with the hope that *someday* I will.
    --
    Gabe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gabe,

On the first issue, I believe there are a number of tickets open with Leaf, and they are apparently working on it.

On the second issue, the .mos file records everything including sensor temp etc. I have also provided these to Leaf via my dealer, and they are looking at it as well. I don't believe it's a lens issue given that with the 80LS I have not seen anyone report issues like this.

In anycase, when I drop 35-40 large on a system, I do expect it to work out of the box. If this was a beta test program, nobody told me about it, and as I told my dealer, if I had bought a 3-series BMW (not a bad analogy given the cash outlay involved here), and it stalled on the highway intermittently, I would not expect BMW to blame it on bad gas! I don't expect perfection, but what I do expect is consistent and predictable behaviour from equipment at this price point.

Post Thanks / Like

Gabe,

On the first issue, I believe there are a number of tickets open with Leaf, and they are apparently working on it.

On the second issue, the .mos file records everything including sensor temp etc. I have also provided these to Leaf via my dealer, and they are looking at it as well. I don't believe it's a lens issue given that with the 80LS I have not seen anyone report issues like this.

In anycase, when I drop 35-40 large on a system, I do expect it to work out of the box. If this was a beta test program, nobody told me about it, and as I told my dealer, if I had bought a 3-series BMW (not a bad analogy given the cash outlay involved here), and it stalled on the highway intermittently, I would not expect BMW to blame it on bad gas! I don't expect perfection, but what I do expect is consistent and predictable behaviour from equipment at this price point.
    I fully agree with you -- as I'm sure everyone with a Leaf back that's not performing exactly as it should feels. You don't drop *that* much money expecting to receive an R&D prototype. You expect perfection. Complete, professional perfection, with no exceptions. This was my experience with my P65+ -- flawless. No problems, ever. The Leaf? Sadly, this has not been the case thus far. As much as I love the image quality of the Aptus-II 12, I feel as if its finicky idiosyncrasies are trying my patience a bit too much. Primarily, this issue of oddly corrupt RAW files, but there are actually a few other issues that occasionally pop up that also irritate me.

Your issue, though, really does echo typical aberrations (coming from a background with physics/optics, I'm somewhat familiar with these things). The samples provided seem similar, with an abundance of off-axis light entering the lens; this often does cause coma in older lenses, but really shouldn't in a new lens (especially the 80LS). Sensor well falloff and cosine falloff exude similar symptoms, but these aberrations are far more prevalent in IR photography (hotspots, anyone?).

I'm wondering if the coating on your lens might somehow be to blame. If I were you, I'd contact your dealer, and ask to sample a different 80LS. The worst that can happen in this situation is it doesn't fix anything. The odds are quite likely your dealer will happily provide you a second 80LS for testing.
    --
    Gabe

Post Thanks / Like

"As soon as I saw the image in the first post, I knew this was a CF card issue."

Graham Mitchell-

That's probably where I got that from Graham...

Jagsiva,
    My suggestion was from reports of many CFV DB's, that have had color casts issues or artifacts, from too much pressure on the mechanical shutter release prior to exposure. The manual for a CFV even mentions this anomaly . It's more common in the mechanical cameras because of the way they're triggered, but a faulty shutter or electronic component in this area for any camera could do the same, but given that only part of the image is corrupt, i'm not so sure.
    A dark frame is usually taken with long exposures, a 10 min. exposure= a 10 minute dark frame to allow the DB to remove noise, so not sure about that. Have you tried to tether or download images with the CF in the camera? One interesting thing noted by Graham is the fact that the color cast shows up in the brighter areas. It's almost flare-like in it's appearance. Also, watch the status light on the DB for unusually long or short write times after capture.
    Last edited by johnnygoesdigital; 3rd November 2011 at 19:54.

Post Thanks / Like

This problem is not limited to leaf, I have similar behavior on my IQ180.

If I trip the shutter before the back beeps from a previous exposure it happens almost every time. Some error is reported and the exposure gets the magenta corruption.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    This problem is not limited to leaf, I have similar behavior on my IQ180.

If I trip the shutter before the back beeps from a previous exposure it happens almost every time. Some error is reported and the exposure gets the magenta corruption.
    Ed, I have seen something similar with the 180 on the Alpa, both tethered and untethered. In that case it was because the sync connection on the lens or to the Rollei LCS was not perfect. Reconditioning the sync plug solved the problem.

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

I had a new kind of corruption today, this time it showed up on the back preview as well. There's a very strong pattern running through the image. Has anyone else had this?

I'll open a support case about it, so if anyone else has experienced it, it might help to get it resolved more quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does anybody know if these file corruption problems also affect the Aptus II10R? Having sold my Sinar e75LV back, I am still hanging onto the Hy6 and the Rollei lenses (trying to sell and considering the Leica S2). As an alternative, I thought keeping the Hy6 and lenses and getting the 10R would be similar financially to the S2 and I would get a higher res sensor. But the problems above scare me (even more than the cracked sensor issue on the S2 .

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, no issues of real substance with Leaf AFI 7 II. Rotating sensor works fine, software fine, no dropped images. I had one file that had a single pixel row corrupted, and once some color flaring on the far right side for long exposure, similar purple to what has been shown. But that was it.

Leaf thought the purple might have been sensor overheating, and luckily it hasn't reappeared.

I had a P20, and it too would act up sometimes as well, so there probably is no perfection out here. The AFI 7 II is just fine.
    Last edited by Geoff; 14th November 2011 at 02:08.

Post Thanks / Like

This is just a gut response, but all of this smacks of the anarchy that comes from different software and hardware manufacturers not communicating well enough with each other, the kind of thing avoided by the totalitarian approach embraced by Apple.
    Solutions will present themselves, but not before several of us lose our sanity

Post Thanks / Like

My support case was closed today with a note that the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards (16GB and 32GB) should work fine. Did anyone else receive this? Although it's nice to know there's one kind of card I can use, I don't consider this a satisfactory solution to the problem at all. If a back takes CF cards, it needs to work with all CF cards, the way a $200 point and shoot does. You could be on location somewhere and need to buy new cards, or simply run out of storage and want to borrow a friend's CF card, etc. There's no guarantee that Sandisk Extreme Pro cards will always be available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Still waiting for an update on mine.

Post Thanks / Like

hi Graham,

Usually manufacturers of DBs test different CF cards and support them. When some are not listed in the supported ones, it does not mean that they don't work. "Supported" means that this particular type has been tested and that it worked without problem.
    Also, I would think that Leaf do support more CF cards for this DB than only the Sandisk one you are mentioning. Did they tell you that only this one is supported?

Best regards
    Thierry

My support case was closed today with a note that the Sandisk Extreme Pro cards (16GB and 32GB) should work fine. Did anyone else receive this? Although it's nice to know there's one kind of card I can use, I don't consider this a satisfactory solution to the problem at all. If a back takes CF cards, it needs to work with all CF cards, the way a $200 point and shoot does. You could be on location somewhere and need to buy new cards, or simply run out of storage and want to borrow a friend's CF card, etc. There's no guarantee that Sandisk Extreme Pro cards will always be available.
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]