The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Media Pro anyone?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Doug, thank you for 1.1 - I hadn't seen that it existed. I downloaded it today and so far it works fine!

Now, and I fear I know the answer to this, is there any way to transfer keywords applied in LR to MP?

Bill

Godfrey

Doug, thank you for 1.1 - I hadn't seen that it existed. I downloaded it today and so far it works fine!

Now, and I fear I know the answer to this, is there any way to transfer keywords applied in LR to MP?
If you use LR's "Metadata->Save Metadata to file..." command on TIFF, DNG, PSD or JPEG files, Media Pro should pick up the keywords as they are IPTC standard and stored in the image file per the standards based IPTC format.

Transferring keywords for native format raw files is tricker ... I don't think Media Pro can read the .XMP sidecar files that are generated for native raw formats so even saving the metadata out to disk doesn't give Media Pro access to it.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks Godfrey - at least this transferred most of my keywords to MP so now I just (!) have to apply them to my 1000s of pix!

MP 1.1 is working very well with C1.

Bill

baxter

I too bought MP with the 30% discount but haven't got around to using in anger. That is next project for the coming month or so - keywording in most time efficient manner (hints readily accepted).

Meanwhile I updated to MP1.1 having been away shooting for a week and having sone so, found that the orientation information has been disregarded, with nearly all images (but not all of them) appearing as Landscape in the viewer and same when looked at in media viewer.

Any idea please how I can get MP to correct this please. Am sure it's a preference or something, but haven't found anything so far on MP help menu.

Another observation, Phase One's change to Online help is retrograde when shooting in a location with no internet access...

f8orbust

Grrr again. I was trying to find out how to apply one rating to several images today: I tried selecting them all then applying a rating, which doesn't work. So I tried copying the rating from one and applying to the others and that doesn't work either. So I thought to check the Help. No dice. So I thought to download the user guide and unbelievably the Phase website doesn't have a user guide for C1 version 6. I mean.... really.

Does Media One allow space age features such as this I wonder?
The 'manual' and the 'wiki' for C1 are barely OK - just a list of commands and 1,2,3 steps. The videos on U-Tube are better, but of course they are stuck on U-Tube so you need an internet connection to watch them. Capture-U? Give me a break - that's little better than staring at a series of PowerPoint slides. Lu-La guide to C1? Barely scratches the surface...the section on B&W conversion in particular is a joke.

When there are a-million-and-one books out there on each and every application from 'hacking your toaster oven' to 'building a super computer' it remains one of life's mysteries why no one has written the equivalent of, say, Martin Evening's excellent 'Lightroom' series of books for C1.

Is it too much to ask for a comprehensive guide to C1 that I can browse away from my computer/ipad/iphone/igiveup, and away from the internet?

Any idea please how I can get MP to correct this please. Am sure it's a preference or something, but haven't found anything so far on MP help menu.
You need to turn off the options for using embedded thumbnails. There are two: Preferences->Media Rendering:
Engine: Phase One
Use Embedded Previews: OFF

Edit->Thumbnails and Previews:
Use Builtin Thumbs: OFF

Another observation, Phase One's change to Online help is retrograde when shooting in a location with no internet access...
Yes that sucks. We use Wiki's a lot at work and for safety we use Firefox and ScrapBook to keep a copy of important stuff offline. Sub-optimal.

Paul

baxter

Thanks Paul - those are the settings I had set, so it must be some other problem.

It seems inconsistent in how much a folder is affected. Some more than others. Doesn't seem related to file types, jpg, DNG, NEF and IIQ are all affected similarly. I really don't fancy trawling through thousands of images and setting manually. Something definitely changed in the move from MP1.01 to MP1.1

Ah, if you change the images in COne after the initial import into MPro, MPro won't do anything. You need to manually rebuild. You can do this to a bunch of images at once, but it's confusing.

baxter

Thanks again Paul.

I haven't changed anything in COne, or anything else, some images are from 2007 and haven't been touched since then! Simply upgraded to MP1.1 and used existing catalogue.

Don't want to Hijack Tim's thread. Think I need to create a support case.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

OK, more help please!

My thumbnails show perfectly in MP, with all the corrections made in CI - EXCEPT any crops. In other words, all the work I do in C1 shows up (such as B&W conversion etc) except the full original uncropped image appears in the MP thumbnail, regardless of thumbnail size.

Are the thumbnails supposed to be this way, and if not, what am I missing? Please note that this is only the thumbnails - if I switch to "Media" the correct cropping appears.

Any input gratefully received!

Bill

tashley

Subscriber Member
Well I just downloaded and tried the trial version of Media Pro 1.1 and...

Hmmm.. looks nice, and it's very useful finally to be able to see all my Phase images in one place BUT... as for the 'integration'... it doesn't seem even to run as far as importing my ratings, let alone accurate thumbnails that reflect things such as crop and white balance. It also seems very slow, very not intuitive and the Help is usual Phase One standard. I will continue to try to delve but first impressions are that it'll be genuinely useful in a few versions time...

baxter

I need to get better at rating my pictures. There is no immediate rush however as MP isn't registering those that have received a rating. It does appear to be showing image crop Bill, even if some of them are in the wrong orientation. Latter has now been submitted as a support case. Their first suggestions didn't clear the issue. Will report any positive progress on this matter.

Maybe I will hang on for another version before investing time in the cataloguing....

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

So, Baxter, I conclude that my thumbnails SHOULD show the crops done in C1.

Well, I've tried playing with every setting on MP and C1, on both my MacBookPro and MacPro. ALL the C1 settings are transferred to the Media file setting - and all except the crops to the thumbnail.

It's as if there should be setting "Thumbnail to reflect Media file"!

Anybody else having this problem?

Bill

No problem with ratings coming through. Have you set Preferences->Image->Metadata->Autosync Sidecar = Full Sync? I also have the two check boxes below turned on as that's what was set in the video.

In MP, my thumbnails also show changes, but not the crops. I can see a few images rotated. Odd!

tashley

Subscriber Member
I will give that a try - thank you! It is very Phase like to not have that set of preferences set by default and to not have anything useful about it in the Help. They really need to think hard about what constitutes 'intuitive' and what constitutes a proper Help system methinks...

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Well, I went through the tutorials again too, and did something right because - finally - I have all 15,000 thumbnails in my first catalogue showing all changes in C1 including crops and proper orientation.

Trouble is, I'm not sure what I did! But I can send screen shots of the various preference settings in C1 and MP to anyone who wants them. Just PM me.

Bill

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi Bill, thanks for the tips: I am getting there slowly but Lord is this piece of software a pre-beta standard. I certainly won't pay for it when my trial ends (I have, for example, just narrowly missed trashing every Phase image I ever shot on the misunderstanding that I was ditching a catalog file in order to start again!).

I very, very strongly suggest to anyone thinking of getting this software to
a)Try before you buy
b)Make a full backup of your system before you try
c)Lay in whisky/Valium in large quantities before you start
d)Realise that nothing about it is intuitive and that if you proceed as if it were, you might do you files or your emotional wellbeing some damage!
e)Prepare to love the glimpses of what it might one day be able to do whilst marvelling at Phase's ability to raise capital for R&D from its customers.

It is, IMHO, nothing short of shocking that they put this out there as paid release, without serious health warnings on the packet, and without having 'out of the box' settings that do what the great majority of users probably want, which is to make sense of the files that have been developed in Capture One. It not only crashes itself, but appears to cause C1 to crash and even seems to interfere seriously with Safari.

But having said all that, I do think it holds great promise but its features really need to be integrated INTO C1, rather than as a separate product. The model set by iPhoto, Aperture and Lightroom is, I think, popular for good reasons....

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Is that with 1.01 or 1.1?
Hi Bill, thanks for the tips: I am getting there slowly but Lord is this piece of software a pre-beta standard. I certainly won't pay for it when my trial ends (I have, for example, just narrowly missed trashing every Phase image I ever shot on the misunderstanding that I was ditching a catalog file in order to start again!).

I very, very strongly suggest to anyone thinking of getting this software to
a)Try before you buy
b)Make a full backup of your system before you try
c)Lay in whisky/Valium in large quantities before you start
d)Realise that nothing about it is intuitive and that if you proceed as if it were, you might do you files or your emotional wellbeing some damage!
e)Prepare to love the glimpses of what it might one day be able to do whilst marvelling at Phase's ability to raise capital for R&D from its customers.

It is, IMHO, nothing short of shocking that they put this out there as paid release, without serious health warnings on the packet, and without having 'out of the box' settings that do what the great majority of users probably want, which is to make sense of the files that have been developed in Capture One. It not only crashes itself, but appears to cause C1 to crash and even seems to interfere seriously with Safari.

But having said all that, I do think it holds great promise but its features really need to be integrated INTO C1, rather than as a separate product. The model set by iPhoto, Aperture and Lightroom is, I think, popular for good reasons....
I agree fully with your last comment! (And I like the rest too!)
Bill