Site Sponsors

Thread: On Camera suggestions for DF

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On Camera suggestions for DF

I'm looking for a simple flash setup for the DF. I have Elinchrom strobes for anything involved, but would like something simpler for an on camera/bracket setup.

I tried my Canon 580 EX II but it does not seem to really cut it in terms of power.

I have gone through this forum as well as the lighting forum, but could not find a clear solution. The two high-output units that keep popping up are the Metz 76 and the Quantum T5DR. From what I have read, the Quantum does not support TTL on the DF. As for the Metz, there are references to a SCA 3952 connector, but i cannot find this listed at BH anywhere.

Any thoughts/recommendations are much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: On Camera suggestions for DF

For a potato masher flash that can be used with a bracket, you might consider the Metz sca system. I don't see the Metz 54 in the current lineup, but that one worked as well.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    I'm looking for a simple flash setup for the DF. I have Elinchrom strobes for anything involved, but would like something simpler for an on camera/bracket setup.

I tried my Canon 580 EX II but it does not seem to really cut it in terms of power.

I have gone through this forum as well as the lighting forum, but could not find a clear solution. The two high-output units that keep popping up are the Metz 76 and the Quantum T5DR. From what I have read, the Quantum does not support TTL on the DF. As for the Metz, there are references to a SCA 3952 connector, but i cannot find this listed at BH anywhere.

Any thoughts/recommendations are much appreciated.
    I just bought and returned a Metz 58 + SCA3952 from B3K Digital (toronto). The 3952 adapter does not accept the newer Metz flashes and getting one of the older ones ordered in from Germany is six weeks and more money for an out of production unit. B3K does offer the 3952 if you have one of the older SCA series heads. As far as I know there is no on-camera solution for the DF if you want TTL from new equipment. Would be happy to hear of one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, that 3952 only supporting old units makes sense, as I cannot find it listed anywhere. However Quantum now appears to have a connector that appears to support TTL. Has anyone given this a try?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ash_D_TTL.html