The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock 28 HR on 80mp backs

jagsiva

Anyone using this lens on an IQ180 or Aptus II 80? I'm almost settled on the 32 HR, but could use the wider FL if it behaves similarly on the full-frame 80mp backs.

Thanks for the help.

goesbang

Hi Jag,
I shoot with a 23HR on both the Aptus 12 and IQ 180. I have also shot with both the 32HRW and 28HRs.
The 32 has a substantially larger image circle than the 28.
I'm not sure I understand what your question is.
I decided against the 32 as it is such a big heavy lens and I very rarely flat stitch. For me it made more sense to go for the widest lens and get the shot in one frame.
The 80MP sensors suffer from more significant lenscast than the 60MP, so theoretical image circles are in practice much smaller. My advice is to go with the wider lens even though its image circle is smaller.

jps

Hi Jag

I have both the 28 and the 32 and am testing the 23 - using them on a Leaf 12.
Of course it depends what you are after - you don't say which camera you are using - if you are after any shifting then the 32 is the go for sure. The 28 and 23 really push the edges for quality. they both have much more colour cast than the 32. Personally if I could only have one lens I would go for the 32 - it really is superb.

JOHN

archivue

mind you the 32 is the more fragile lens... too much weight for a copal 0...

good lens, but don't walk around with the camera on the tripod with the lens mounted !

jagsiva

Guys thanks for all the input.

I have the Aptus 12 and having been pulling my hair out about tech cams. 90% of what I do with this camera is landscapes and flat stitching was the main reason for the tech cam. Obviously, with this FL, stitching is not a major use.

Having said this, I did a 4 frame stitch yesterday with my 80LS and it was simply stunning. I am now toying with the idea of just getting the 55/110/150LS lenses and skipping the tech cam all together. I also just purchased the 28D for those times when I want an UWA. I understand the corners are going to be a little mushy, but at this FL, distortion, focal plane curvature etc. kick in with even the best lenses anyway.

I have read extensively on tech cameras, thanks to this forum. Although the quality is stellar, I am not sure that my style goes with LCCs (particularly when shifting for each frame) and the extremely deliberate nature of shooting and the time involved will work for me.

Also, when I think about stitching using the DF, I have some distortion to deal with, but I am also always using the middle of the lens. On the tech cam, I can flat stitch (albeit limited with the wides due to IC size), but then I am stretching into the far corners of the lens and have to shoot LCCs. All about compromises I guess.

I was almost set on an RM3Di and 32W, but the 28 with the wider view sounded more appealing hence this post.

Thanks again for all your help with my serious mental issues here :)

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I am now toying with the idea of just getting the 55/110/150LS lenses and skipping the tech cam all together. I also just purchased the 28D for those times when I want an UWA. I understand the corners are going to be a little mushy, but at this FL, distortion, focal plane curvature etc. kick in with even the best lenses anyway.
I think that this is a wise strategy. I don't have a great deal of love for the DF but this lens combo really is about as good as you can potentially get at the moment. This my plan for the DF outfit too as and when I can afford it.

jagsiva

I think that this is a wise strategy. I don't have a great deal of love for the DF but this lens combo really is about as good as you can potentially get at the moment. This my plan for the DF outfit too as and when I can afford it.

Thanks Graham, I think you're right. This is the most rational thought I've had since I bought the Aptus 12 kit:)

yatlee

As I get closer to buying the 32mm, I have couple questions: (1) On polarizer, is it important to use the "wide" version or standard polarizer is fine? (2) On the Rodenstock information page, it said there is a specified center filter made for this lens. Has anyone felt this is necessary?

Thanks!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'd be wary of using ANY polarizer on a 32mm lens with full sized sensor to be honest. You're into the territory of uneven polarization at that wide of a lens I think.