The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya Lens Choices

Curtis Hustace

To me one of the real advantages of MF is wide angle shooting - the image is so much bigger than an equivalent angle of view in 35 mm format.

I really would go with 35 mm, D or not.

Bill
I would suggest the Mam/Phase 35mm AF (preference to D series) for the wide angle. You've already excluded the 28mm. On a Mam/Phase 645 AF/DF body, wide angle is a weakpoint, hence why some prefer technical cameras. (Hcam is a neat alternative here btw, albeit expensive). Slight crop sensor MFDBs are not as demanding on lenses on the edges.

Look at the Mam/Phase 150mm AF for your portrait lens. Big jump in quality and AF speed moving to the 150mm AF D series (well-worth the upgrade though).

After that, you're on a slippery slope. It's only money....

:ROTFL:
I had the same problem - on a budget wanting a good wide.

My solution finally is keep a 35mm body just for wides.

The only good solution in Mamiya is 28mm, which is too expensive for my rare uses.

35mm is not wide enough on dm28 for interiors for instance.

You can also mount view camera lens such as Schneider 28mm, or a Hasselblad 30mm, but it is still not cheap and not worth the money, unless wide is a big part of your business.

Also worth considering is Fuji X100 - again if like me wide is not a critical application.

Thx guys for your input. I am going to start looking around for a 35 and a 150, then build from there. If I need the 28 I will get it eventually. I sort of collect stuff anyway. If I buy it I will use it . . . nothing goes to waste! :)

F

Flatstar

A little wide angle feedback...
I started with a Phase DF-P30+ back & Mamiya 35mm but only got the equivalent of 27mm in 35mm format, not very wide...So lately I've been using a hartblie 45mm T/S and stitching two shifted images together to get a wider field of view (had the Mamiya 50mm shift, but fond it very stiff & awkward to shift with out moving anything)... I'm also using a Arsat 30mm Fish eye. The 'Fish was designed for a 6x7 format, that coupled with the P30+ 1.3 crop factor, eliminates a lot of the edge distortion you get with a fish eye,and after some post processing I'm getting (this is a guesstimate) about 100' field of view.

Last edited: