The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPad 2 CF reader with Phase files?

faneuil

just got iPadded before week long trip. Plan to use my phase back exclusively.
Does the CF card adapter from apple work with phase files?

that is, anyone have advice so I can avoid buying useless gear :)
goal: review the day's phase shoot on iPad
any app that is a must have to help the process?

thanks!
Eric

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
http://www.captureintegration.com/2010/12/09/capture-one-pilot-for-ipadiphone/

You can use this to review the shoot on an iPad during or after the shoot. You'll be able to zoom to 100%, color tag the images, rate the images, view a histogram, view the image WITH any base-style (e.g. +10 contrast, +20 highlight recovery, +15 clarity) applied, and it's very fast (provided you set it up as we describe).

If desired you can do this without a router by using the "Create Network" (aka Ad Hoc Wifi) of any mac laptop.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Craig Stocks

Are you taking a laptop with you, or wanting to use just the iPad? There are very few solutions for reading a CF card for an iPad. The Apple offering has an SD card reader and a USB adapter. Unfortunately, IOS 4.2 and later greatly reduced the power available for the USB adapter, which rendered nearly all USB card readers useless.

I've only seen two CF card readers for the iPad. You can read about them on Rob Galbraith's blog

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11412-11522

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/ipad-cf-sd-reader/

The way I read it though, you may have still have trouble reading CF cards larger than 4GB.

If you know of a better solution, I'd be happy to hear about it.

The other question is how to view the raw files on an iPad. I'm not sure if there are any photo viewers for the iPad that can read an IIQ file.

faneuil

thanks - saved me some $ there.
ideally ipad would travel with me only. I am using 32gb CFs!
sounds like a great opportunity for Phase.

and Doug thanks for the tip. I do plan to use Capture Pilot in studio situation when shooting tethered. Would be great to have phase proprietary app and hardware solution to review and quick flag images on iPad in the field.

quick surf shows that photosmith app doesn't seem to handle Phase IIQ files.

Eric

macoberly

I bought the original ipad for the express purpose of downloading my cf cards to it. When ios 4.xx came out they changed the amount of power draw allowed throught the power slot. This killed virtually all cf card readers. My solution was to buy a powered usb hub and connect it throught apples usb adapter. This works fine with two musts: Have the usb hub plugged in, and shoot with a .tif extention on the DB. Files will then transfert to the ipad. You cannot do anything with the files once they are on the ipad though. They look like crappy thumbnails. I do this with ios 4.xx and sandisk extreme 16gb cards. I havent updated the os though, things may have changed again.

Good Luck

Mason.

sflxn

Sad to say, but the iPad is not a good device for downloading your images. It neither have enough storage nor makes it easy for anyone using CF cards. Plus, downloading files takes too long (I tested with SD cards). If you can, I'd pick up a Macbook Air 11 with a big hard drive. I picked up the iPad 2 when it came out with the same expectation but have been very disappointed.

Loc