Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Future Medium Format Camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Future Medium Format Camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIM0R...ature=youtu.be

The chip is still (comparably) small (12Mpix), it´s not even called a camera (it´s a phone) but the concept shows where we will be mainstream in 5-10 years from now with at least Semi-Pro equipment (yes I´m serious!).
    It´s all about connectivity, usability and immediate access.
    Of course we need more resolution, better and more versatile lenses, but this shows the way.

It´s a Sony........

Greetings from Munich
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    A MF that will last through an entire summer of shooting, just tired of the breakdowns
    I think Sinar is the only manufacturer of reliable digital backs, suitable for heavy usage, like macro catalog work.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What would I like in a future MFD?

1) Generally, I do wish that each company offered alternative bodies that provide for broader applications. Like a smaller non-modular body with faster AF, Image Stabilization, and higher ISO that uses our existing lenses and accessories, ... so we don't have to maintain a separate 35mm system/lenses/accessories. Plus, it would be the back-up.

This could be the CMOS version BTW, and have all the Do-Dads we use in our 35mm cameras. A larger than 35mm sensor with a 3:4 ratio would be fine ... Anything to keep the camera smaller but have a bigger sensor than 35mm.

2) More sensitive AF ... use light amplification technology or something, but make it more sensitive without losing precision and accuracy. I think these cameras focus fast enough when they acquire focus, they just need to acquire it faster, especially in lower contrast conditions.

3) Get rid of the shutter if at all possible. Activate electronically or something.

4) offer a software/firmware sensitivity option. ISO 10 to 500, or 500 to 2000. Load what is needed for a specific task and go do it. (I'd kill for ISO 10 in the studio at times.)

What I Don't want, need or want to pay for is ...

1) I do not need multiple AF points ... people keep comparing to 35mm none of which reach out to the edges, and arrays like in the new Nikon D4 are still packed around the center ... on a large area MFD, that center array would be semi-useless. I DO wish I had True Focus in my S2, and Sony A900. For continuous AF see #1 above.

2) Just Say No To Video. See #1 above ... another camera might be be okay, but don't put it in the big gun. Pulling stills from a large sensor RED camera is different from adding motion to an existing MFD system. Those that shoot motion rent almost everything ... and the whole infrastructure and tool box is totally different, as is the skill/talent(s) required ... at least for commercial applications it is. If a production house shoots so much motion that they own their camera, they'll own a RED or some other dedicated motion camera.

3) No More Meg-a-Pickles. 60 or 80 meg is more than enough. Improve the quality not the quantity. How many pixels can dance on the head of a pin?

P.S., Not sure what you guys are doing to your poor MFDs, maybe they're ill treated rentals or something.

I've pounded through day-after-day of studio still life work during my busy season shooting GM dealer materials like wheels and fabrics (:sleep006: but it pays the bills), and haven't had one shut-down/breakdown in two years now. I've also dragged MFD to a number of weddings and shot continuously for 8 hours, sometimes in horrible heat and humidity ... 500+ images without a hiccup ... I might break down in those conditions, but my camera hasn't

I think Guy pounds out more images a day than I do ... don't recall him complaining.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And here comes the next feature that I want - again it is an idea by Canon:

Patent – Short Range Wireless Lens Mount & Other Accessories

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/01/p...r-accessories/

Cool idea - no more contact problems, unlimited digital communication between components, standardized interface and protocol.

***** !

This is what I mean when I say cameras need to evolve into real digital devices.

Greetings from Munich
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    And here comes the next feature that I want - again it is an idea by Canon:

Patent – Short Range Wireless Lens Mount & Other Accessories

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/01/p...r-accessories/

Cool idea - no more contact problems, unlimited digital communication between components, standardized interface and protocol.

***** !

This is what I mean when I say cameras need to evolve into real digital devices.

Greetings from Munich
    Stefan
    It would not be difficult to make it more reliable than contacts, and less medically damaging than a mobile phone.

¿Does any one else remember (or use) battery-free cameras?

Perhaps we could use our flash brollies to collect sunlight for a photo electric cell?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Capable Cell phone cams may not be so far off:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33684

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Vivek for this link!

It shows that we need to understand that there will be no standstill in Devellopment, Pandoras Ghost is out of the Box and the ideas will now create new camera devices that will be eyeopening for us, in every aspect.

Greetings from Munich

Stefan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And here is even more - imagine Autofocus as fast as the human eye:

http://vimeo.com/34899646

regards
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, when everyone else is looking to the horizon I find myself looking to the past. Here's what I picked up today...

Post Thanks / Like

Great ideas never die!
    Eduardo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy645 View Post
    Funny, when everyone else is looking to the horizon I find myself looking to the past. Here's what I picked up today...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    Great ideas never die!
    Eduardo
    Indeed, this thing oozes quality in a way that I've only ever experienced before with high-end mechanical watches. Today I shot my first 2 rolls and I can honestly say I'm in love. The incredible 3D feel of looking through that WLF is something else altogether.

polarcircle

I often makes photos outdoors - sometimes backpacking sleeping in tents for several days making battery dependence a pain in the neck.

Lighter mF systems is what I'd like. WHat happens in the current development is that as more features are being added - more electronics are being needed - making it difficult for really portable light systems with a small amount of energy consumption. This makes MF digital a little bit less attractive to me. mind you I'm used to backpacking really heavy stuff but for me portability is an important issue. That is why the old V system still has its advantages as being one of the lightest MF systems carrying around (though not digital). Even if the 200/2000 cameras demands batteries the useable time is why longer than for a digital back.

However, this being said, since the electronics industry is developing at the current pace - maybe processor speed isn't increasing as fast as in the past - the size of capable computing power is really diminishing - which also is a necessity for newer improved ccd/cmos systems in terms of speed and possibility to make digital pictures. however, computing power is not only the issue, its also the development of new low-moise electronics to an afffordable price. This used to be very expensive in the past. Of course these matters will come as a part of the steamwagon called electronic development - meaning more MPixels and larger sensitivty..

Still my whish is a light portable digital MF with little battery drain - more important than 200MPix.

It should also without too many gizmos - no touch screen - do no want things failing outdoors. BlueTooth could be an option if one wants to review the picures with a tablet device but not necessary.

Possibility to turn of LCD so that the gear can function at very low temperatures - yes there are people who photograph at -30, -40C or ven lower depending on how cold the weather

I.e. for me simiplicity in function. Ruggedness, small power consumption, also possibility to shoot Videos if this can be combined with former, otherwise no.

R.

R

Post Thanks / Like

¿Clockwork camera charger?
    ¿Falling weight camera charger?

polarcircle

Personally I usually avoided chargers with falling weights

Drawbacks I found during testing these are the following:

1. If the string holding the weight is too long it will invariably fall on your toes - not good for hiking purposes:

2. The necessary weight and length of cable may be so long that you need a truck and a really steep hillside to generate enough with power - found this in practical tests being to ... yes impractical

Please enlighten me on the advantages with the clockwork camera charger

Seriously - Hasselbladf once had a handdriven charger for powering 2000 (I think it was this model) cameras. No more available - otherwise all the H1/2/3/4 shooters would have seriously strong handshakes

Quote Originally Posted by dick View Post
    ¿Clockwork camera charger?
    ¿Falling weight camera charger?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by polarcircle View Post
    Personally I usually avoided chargers with falling weights

Drawbacks I found during testing these are the following:

1. If the string holding the weight is too long it will invariably fall on your toes - not good for hiking purposes:

2. The necessary weight and length of cable may be so long that you need a truck and a really steep hillside to generate enough with power - found this in practical tests being to ... yes impractical

Please enlighten me on the advantages with the clockwork camera charger

Seriously - Hasselbladf once had a handdriven charger for powering 2000 (I think it was this model) cameras. No more available - otherwise all the H1/2/3/4 shooters would have seriously strong handshakes
    I had envisaged that the falling weight charger would have been used overnight, perhaps using a tree?

Clocks need low power for long periods, like battery chargers, and clockwork torches are available.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A 1000 year half-life from pin head amount of Plutonium.

The camera glows in the dark providing its own light source.

They can be manufactured in Iran.

Oops! KABOOOM!

-Marc