Site Sponsors

Thread: More exciting Leaf news, New AFi-II and Aptus-II product lines

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exclamation More exciting Leaf news, New AFi-II and Aptus-II product lines

Hello everyone,

A press release has gone out this morning (EU time) along with a set of PDFs and product shots on our website.

Everyone have already heard about the new Leaf 56MP solutions in the shape of the AFi-10 and the Aptus 10. However with Photokina only 2 weeks away, we have decided to spill some more beans about the exciting new line of Leaf products:
    I thought I'll give you all a quick rundown of this new and exciting line of products:

Flexibility: Leaf is listening

An all new AFi-II and Aptus-II range, based on 28,33 and 56MP sensors, this new range is offering the most flexible tool some unique and unbeatable features:

Leaf Verto technology: the Leaf AFi-II 7 and the Leaf AFi-II 10 have an internally rotating sensor

New 3.5” LCD touch screen: All AFi-II and Aptus-II models offer a brighter screen with more contrast to allow for better viewing both indoors and outdoors

Tilt screen: On the AFi-II 7 and AFi-II 10, you can tilt the screen upwards (up to 90º), for easier and better viewing in the studio or outside
    The new screen is now working also when tethered on AFi, AFi-II and Aptus-II, allowing for image viewing, focus check, histogram, image info and some basic controls.

Leaf SensorFlex technology: On the AFi-II 10 and Aptus-II 10 you can now choose between several pre-defined crops, enabling you to save space and speed up your work in cases where not all 56MP are required, by increasing capture rate and reducing the raw file size and pixel count.

Seamless move between tethered and portable modes: As long as you have a CF card in the camera, you can pull the FW800 cable at anytime and continue to shoot

New cable release for the AFi and AFi-II that is connected to the imaging module

iPhone and iPod Touch compatibility: A new Leaf software application will allow you to use your iPhone or iPod touch for viewing your images and controlling your imaging module while tethered. This new Leaf software will be available for download via iTunes and will be demonstrated at Photokina.

New Leaf Capture 11.2

Leaf AFi-II bi-directional controls: dynamic exposure meter, exposure and metering modes, aperture and shutter speed, exposure compensation, flash sync and mirror controls

Schneider electronic shutter control In addition to the already supported Rollei e-Shutter.

Colour Live View on AFi, AFi-II and Aptus-II: You can now choose to work in either colour or B&W and we’ve added a Gray balance tool as well as a Brightness slider control.

Improved Compare view: Panning and Zooming can now be done simultaneously on multiple images
    Software registration: you can now receive a notification whenever a new version of software/ firmware is made available for your camera

Availability: The new AFi-II 6, 7 and Aptus-II 6,7 will be available for delivery at Photokina. The AFi-II 10 will start shipping at the end of Q4 and the Aptus-II 10 is expected in early Q1/2009

All of this (and more) is going to be shown at Photokina, starting Sept 23rd. I'm hoping to see some of you there.

Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: More exciting Leaf news, New AFi-II and Aptus-II product lines

Thanks Yair , some really interesting announcements
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

iPhone and iPod Touch remote viewing sound very promising. Can't wait to see it in action.

(giving credit where credit is due)

Doug Peterson
    Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
    Personal Portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice feature set ... I agree that the iPhone and iPod Touch features would be very interesting to utilize.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea Doug get working on that for our phase backs. LOL

That will peak some interest for sure
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can someone please explain to me the differences between these two:
    AFi-II 10 and Aptus-II 10

On the Leaf site, it was rather confusing and they look the same.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was going to ask the same Chris. Please explain the product line and what is the back , what is the camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Aptus-II:

Made in 4 different mounts: Hasselblad H, Hasselblad V, Mamiya AFD, Contax.

Each of these fits the camera body it has been made for, as well as most LF cameras and RZ, RB, Fuji 680, all via adapters.

AFi-II:

A complete camera system made out of 2 components: The AFi-II imaging module (read digital back) and the AFi body (similiar to the Sinar/ Rolleiflex Hy6).

The AFi-II back fits the AFi/ Hy6 bodies, as well as most LF cameras and RZ via adapters

Looking at the backs only, the Aptus-II and the AFi-II share the same sensors, LCD panels and many of the electronic components.

However, the AFi-II differs from the Aptus-II with the following:

- Internally rotating sensor
    - Tilting LCD display
    - Advanced power management (different electronic boards etc.) that allows it to be powered by the camera or by its own battery
    - Full integration with the camera body; for example the body can be controlled via Leaf Capture when tethered, the shutter can be released using the new cable that connects to the back and so on.

I hope this makes things clear, to download the relevant data sheets, go to:

AFi-II data sheet
    Aptus-II data sheet
    Leaf products brochure

Yair

carbonmetrictree

How long of an exposure will these backs be able to capture up to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Yair that really helps a lot. I get a little lost on some of the offerings out there from the OEM's sometimes

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Things are certainly hotting up in MFD land! Congratulations to Leaf for keeping the adaptors available for older systems as well as improving the basic functionality of the back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by carbonmetrictree View Post
    How long of an exposure will these backs be able to capture up to?
    The 56MP is capable of 60 seconds and we're looking to achieve similar performance with the other models.

BTW the Aptus 75 on your ALPA looks good:-)

Yair

carbonmetrictree

Thanks Yair for the info. I'm really liking the idea of a rotatable screen, just the concept for Iphone control is insane!

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    The 56MP is capable of 60 seconds and we're looking to achieve similar performance with the other models.

BTW the Aptus 75 on your ALPA looks good:-)

Yair

Post Thanks / Like

Yair, thanks for the sneek preview.
    After the tilt display, imho I consider Leaf leading in MF technology. Indeed they are listening. Rotating sensor and tilt display turns this camera the king of ergonomics. What took you so long! - The natural way to go in a 6X6 camera. Perfect!
    It seems to me that finally digital mf makers are getting their act together.
    Only picking, I'd like a square display. Probably way, way expensive. But that's it.
    Don't worry. I'm not buying it anyway. I can't afford it. But it's nice to know it will be in the used market eventually.

My most sincere congratulations to Leaf.
    Eduardo
    Last edited by Uaiomex; 9th September 2008 at 20:00. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    Yair, thanks for the sneek preview.
    After the tilt display, imho I consider Leaf leading in MF technology.
    You do realise that this display is only 320x240 and another brand of MFDB is now offering 640x480, right? I wouldn't exactly describe Leaf's display as the leader. However I agree that they are all getting better and it's nice to see the manufacturers offering more than just more megapixels this year.

Post Thanks / Like

So, in your opinion who's leading and why.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    You do realise that this display is only 320x240 and another brand of MFDB is now offering 640x480, right? I wouldn't exactly describe Leaf's display as the leader. However I agree that they are all getting better and it's nice to see the manufacturers offering more than just more megapixels this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    So, in your opinion who's leading and why.
    Ed
    That all depends on what you are looking for, and we haven't heard all the Photokina news yet, but... Phase One seems to be leading the resolution game and very long exposure ability. Neither of those interest me personally but might matter a lot to some. Sinar's new e75LV back seems to have the best high ISO performance I've seen. Sinar is also leading the workflow race with the new back processing DNGs and JPEGs internally. That will be a killer app for some people. Sinar's new VGA (640x480) 3" screen sounds like the new leader there, and of course Sinar and Hasselblad both score points for offering the adapter system and allowing you to use multiple camera platforms with the same back. Hasselblad is the only player offering multishot in a back with a screen, afaik. I think they all offer Live View. I think Sinar is the only player offering standard 3yr warranty. So overall I would put Sinar in the lead, but as i said let's wait for Photokina and see how things add up then.

Natasa Stojsic

These News are just making me buy one of each

I am looking to add one more DB (bigger sensor) so I'll see.... Perhaps, I can go for P45+ and replace
    my P30+ with Sinar/Leaf P30+ equivalent (could be cheaper)!!!

Also, 45MP or so Range Finder is just great if it's true too, at least it does its job so far by keeping me awake so I can't fall to sleep

If Mamiya continues to price their new lenses/equipment like Leica does I am selling my Mamiya gear!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Yair,

That helps me too, to understand the differences between the AFi-I, the AFi-II and the Aptus-II's. Much appreciated!

--

Graham,

Very well put--nice summary!

-Brad

Natasa Stojsic

Nice summary by Graham

PHASE ONE
    - Seems to be leading the resolution game and very long exposure ability.

SINAR
    - Sinar's new e75LV back seems to have the best high ISO performance I've seen.

- Sinar is also leading the workflow race with the new back processing DNGs and JPEGs internally. That will be a killer app for some people.

- Sinar's new VGA (640x480) 3" screen sounds like the new leader there,

- Sinar and Hasselblad both score points for offering the adapter system and allowing you to use multiple camera platforms with the same back.

- I think Sinar is the only player offering standard 3yr warranty.

HASSELBLAD
    - Hasselblad is the only player offering multishot in a back with a screen, afaik. I think they all offer Live View.

So overall I would put Sinar in the lead, but as i said let's wait for Photokina and see how things add up then.

Graham I hope you don't mind me arranging the summary in the obvious fashion so that we can come back
    if we have to decide/read last minute etc.

Anything you can add as far as Leaf goes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Surely this analysis would look different if you have owned a different back as you seem to overlook many features on the Phase, Hasselblad and Leaf solutions and naturally you are more familiar with the features on your own back.

Yair

Post Thanks / Like

Surely this analysis would look different if you have owned a different back as you seem to overlook many features on the Phase, Hasselblad and Leaf solutions and naturally you are more familiar with the features on your own back.

Yair
    Hi Yair, you have a point there but someone asked me for my opinion so I gave it. It isn't meant to be a definitive guide If you feel Leaf leads the pack in some significant way, please add that to the list. The thing about Leaf that has always baffled me was that it never seemed to have a unique feature which would set it above the others for some users.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    Hi Yair, you have a point there but someone asked me for my opinion so I gave it. It isn't meant to be a definitive guide If you feel Leaf leads the pack in some significant way, please add that to the list. The thing about Leaf that has always baffled me was that it never seemed to have a unique feature which would set it above the others for some users.
    If you had said "Leaf sure has some strange marketing ideas" I would have to agree with you in the United States. Unfortunately, that is very much due to having a distributor in the middle (MAC). If you had knocked them for bundled software fit only for someone with more time than brains, again I would have to agree. Leaf Capture has been a major disappointment since the last major rewrite a couple versions ago. Likely due to desires to support the Windoz environment. But when you ask for one distinguishing feature, how about starting with the smoothest tonal range from the Dalsa sensor? Or the dynamic range, again only available from the Dalsa sensor? I don't think Kodak has gotten a full 16 bit Analog to Digital converter onto their chips yet, have they? For lit studio work, in full production environment, this dog sure hunts. Low light, or long exposures, forget-about-using-an-Aptus. Just not it's thing really, though I have managed several major outdoor shoots with great success, and have the images to prove it's prowess in the right hands. The conservative rating ISO wise also means you can really push these files around in post a LOT. The major problem I have though is with the present Leaf "upgrade" policy, when it comes time to trade, you are far better off selling it yourself. They won't do you any favors....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like I said your are more familiar with the equipment that you use and less with what you don't use, especially when using words such as "It never had"...I mean how far back have you looked?

First digital back (1992) with true colour RGB multi-shot
    First single shot back (1994)
    First Live Video (ever since 1996)
    First (and only) rotating sensor (1998 and 2008)
    First (and only) 3.5" touch screen (since 2005)
    First (and only) Bluetooth facility (since 2004)
    Fastest and most consistent capture rate, tethered or to a CF card
    First (and so far only AFAIK) real FW800 connection
    Tilting screen (2008)
    iPhone compatibility (2008)

For sure someone will consider one or two of these features as reason to put Leaf at the top, but as always this is subjective and depends on one's specific requirements/ needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
    But when you ask for one distinguishing feature, how about starting with the smoothest tonal range from the Dalsa sensor? Or the dynamic range, again only available from the Dalsa sensor?
    However those are not unique features. Sinar uses the same sensors.

Post Thanks / Like

Yair, it's true that I was only referring to backs of the last few years. I must admit that I forgot a significant Leaf advantage: the fastest capture rates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...and I forgot the SensorFlex technology on the 56MP....

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yair
    I know this comment wasn't directed at me but it sure does apply to me... and many others I'm sure. Trying to understand and utilize the features of my own back is exhausting enough without trying to remember how they compare with those of other manufacturers. Aside from those in the business (who are supposed to know these things), I marvel at the across the board knowledge some of our members have. As far as Leaf's announcement goes, it seems to me they're making progress on a lot of fronts... and that's a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Not my intention to keep this heating up, but for me, Leaf is really doing the right hardware progress that get them the closest of any manufacturer to configure a digital medium format just and just exactly as I have dreamed it for 5 years.
    Probably not much significance coming from someone that never shot digital with Mf, but let me tell you, I'm a hell of a dreamer!

The right digital MF (imho) must be simple.

6X6 sensor, tilt display, all auto functions in body. All time WLF (interchangeable of course)

If fitted with rectangular sensor:
    Still 6X6 body.
    Revolving back with rectangular sensor (sinar) Excellent
    Rotating sensor (Leaf) Best. I hope it can acomodate a full 42X56mm sensor.
    Tilt sensor

The rest is software and ergonomics of course. but notice that I'm talking about the hardware configuration. This part involves the philosophy of the camera. That is the most important part.
    Eduardo

thsinar

Yair,

I don't want to spoil "your" thread, however, don't forget the close partnership with Sinar at the beginning of high-end digital: as much in development than in marketing and selling these "first-ever" products and features.

I was there when it happened, and can speak about those times when running workshops with Cedric (my regards to him), trying to explain what digital is and will be.

Best regards and good luck with your new products,
    Thierry

Like I said your are more familiar with the equipment that you use and less with what you don't use, especially when using words such as "It never had"...I mean how far back have you looked?

First digital back (1992) with true colour RGB multi-shot
    First single shot back (1994)
    First Live Video (ever since 1996)

For sure someone will consider one or two of these features as reason to put Leaf at the top, but as always this is subjective and depends on one's specific requirements/ needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thsinar View Post
    Yair,

I don't want to spoil "your" thread, however, don't forget the close partnership with Sinar at the beginning of high-end digital: as much in development than in marketing and selling these "first-ever" products and features.

I was there when it happened, and can speak about those times when running workshops with Cedric (my regards to him), trying to explain what digital is and will be.

Best regards and good luck with your new products,
    Thierry
    Hi Thierry, no worries you are not spoiling anything:-)

I wasn't there when it all kicked off as I was doing other things in a totally different industry. I'm aware of the history and I think it is great that we still share technology with the Hy6/ AFi project.

See you in two weeks time

Yair

thsinar

Yes Yair, see you soon in Cologne: hope your booth is as close to ours as 2 years ago?!

Best regards,
    Thierry

Hi Thierry, no worries you are not spoiling anything:-)

I wasn't there when it all kicked off as I was doing other things in a totally different industry. I'm aware of the history and I think it is great that we still share technology with the Hy6/ AFi project.

See you in two weeks time

Yair

andershald

Hi Yair.

Very exciting news.
    What is the battery situation on the new backs, same position as on the current models?

Best regards,
    Anders

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by andershald View Post
    Hi Yair.

Very exciting news.
    What is the battery situation on the new backs, same position as on the current models?

Best regards,
    Anders
    Hello Anders, yes the battery attaches in the same way. Not everyone likes it but it has some pluses.

BR

Yair

andershald

Hi Yair.

Thanks. I was wondering as the images doesn't show the battery.

Best regards,
    Anders

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by andershald View Post
    Hi Yair.

Thanks. I was wondering as the images doesn't show the battery.

Best regards,
    Anders
    I know, many of these product shots are created with the camera sitting flat on a table which is why the battery is not shown.

How is your test progressing?

andershald

Hi Yair.

I completed the test shoot on Sunday and it was really a priviledge to be able to test these systems side by side. I just got swamped in work this week (and I need to earn the money to pay for the system) so there is a little delay in posting my findings. It might happen this weekend. interesting to read about the new offerings from Leaf, very exciting news.

Best regards,
    Anders