Site Sponsors

Thread: New H4D40 / H4D50 Firmware

Post Thanks / Like

New H4D40 / H4D50 Firmware

Hey All,

Just a quick FYI if you didn't know already.

New firmware for the H4D 40/50 adding...

http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions...rit-level.aspx

..this..

http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions...esolution.aspx

and this...!

http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions...-rear-lcd.aspx

You will need to update sensor unit, body and viewfinder for it all to work.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New H4D40 / H4D50 Firmware

OK, having a dummies moment here....

http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions...cus-check.aspx

Is the "one click focus check" part of these firmware upgrades, and if so what button do I click to activate it?

The info on rear-screen and electronic spirit level is fantastic and much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jay,

For one touch...

Press Menu on the camera body> Then press the AEL, True Focus, Stop Down or Mirror Lock button (This will be the button that actuates the focus check)> Scroll to the option "Dig. Foc. Check". Half press the shutter to save it.

(Make note of all the other useful functions these buttons perform, as you scroll!)

Take a picture... hit that button.

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David I have the H4D 40 and never installed R361, still have R359. I updated to version 224 and 220 successfully. It prompts me to install the firmware R365 then immediately disconnects(says no camera connected) when I try to install R365. When I check the firmware version in the camera it still says R359. Any Suggestions?

Richard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Note Battery is at 100% also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Many thanks David. Appreciate the quick reply

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Installed it on my H4D-50. Nice!
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

hi David, how come the double rez does not apply to upgraded h3d-50 to h4d-50? that's a bummer

Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    Hey All,

..this..

and this...!

David

Post Thanks / Like

David, I've run into a little bit of trouble. I installed 224 and 220 as the instruction said. Then I installed R365. There was an R267 on the firmware download page, but the instruction didn't say anything about needing it so I ignored it. I followed the instructions in Phocus exactly. The results? No more preview. I cannot preview any photos on my card. I tried a fresh card, reformat it, took a quick shot, and it still shows no preview.

I have an H4D-50 that was upgraded from an H3DII-50. Is it possible to go back to a previous sensor firmware?

*UPDATE* I am talking to Hasselblad about this issue. I confirmed to them that it still takes photos, brings up the H4D logo on power up, I can still access the menus, and I can use the new functions like the spirited level. The only thing I've found so far that doesn't work is image preview, which in this digital age is a real bummer.
    Last edited by sflxn; 20th November 2011 at 09:48.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish007 View Post
    David I have the H4D 40 and never installed R361, still have R359. I updated to version 224 and 220 successfully. It prompts me to install the firmware R365 then immediately disconnects(says no camera connected) when I try to install R365. When I check the firmware version in the camera it still says R359. Any Suggestions?

Richard
    Try connecting the camera to firewire WITHOUT Phocus running. Pop the firmware on a CF card at root level, and insert that in the camera.

Follow the instructions on the rear LCD.

D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sflxn View Post
    David, I've run into a little bit of trouble. I installed 224 and 220 as the instruction said. Then I installed R365. There was an R267 on the firmware download page, but the instruction didn't say anything about needing it so I ignored it. I followed the instructions in Phocus exactly. The results? No more preview. I cannot preview any photos on my card. I tried a fresh card, reformat it, took a quick shot, and it still shows no preview.

I have an H4D-50 that was upgraded from an H3DII-50. Is it possible to go back to a previous sensor firmware?

*UPDATE* I am talking to Hasselblad about this issue. I confirmed to them that it still takes photos, brings up the H4D logo on power up, I can still access the menus, and I can use the new functions like the spirited level. The only thing I've found so far that doesn't work is image preview, which in this digital age is a real bummer.
    Interesting!?

Yes, you can downgrade to an earlier firmware. Try going back to your original and upgrading again.

What happens if you cycle through the preview modes with the "i" button? Do you get histogram, EXIF data etc etc?

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David,

I'll try that tonight when I get home. Thanks for the tip.

Richard

Post Thanks / Like

David,

I called tech support and we went through down rev'ing the firmware to R361 and upgrading back to R365. That fixed the issue. To answer your question, when the back was in this mode, pressing "i" multiple times only showed a blank screen. Also, when I first came across this issue, I tried to find an older version of the firmware on the Hasselblad website and couldn't find any. The procedure that tech support had me do was the exact procedure I would have tried if older firmwares were on the website. These are expensive machines and there needs to be care taken to control what users do in updating the firmware so I do understand why you guys do this.

Overall, I think this is a nice firmware update, even if I don't get the high res screen. It's noticebly faster to focus and start up, but I'm still a little miffed that those of us who had the upgrade from H3DII to H4D don't get the high res screen.

Post Thanks / Like

I downloaded the update and find it very interesting. The spirit level will be very appreciated. The rear LCD display is nice as well but does it show me the exposure value compensation when I make one? I see it in thirds of stops in the view finder but I can't see it on the rear LCD. Am I missing something?

Post Thanks / Like

looks like i might need to do the same thing, where did u download r361, can not find it

Richard

Post Thanks / Like

hi david, i updated but now the camera won't start with the back attached,
    i can get the back powered via the computer, where can i get the r361 firmware to retry the process. thanks

Hey All,

..this..

and this...!

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by msadat View Post
    looks like i might need to do the same thing, where did u download r361, can not find it
    Couldn't find R361 either. I tried David's tip, putting the root program on the card, but that didn't work. The camera recognized I wanted to update. It asked me to plug in the firewire, when I did, the computer saw it, but no other options came up on the camera screen. I would call tech/support next unless David has some other tricks. I just powered the camera down and disconnected the firewire.

Note: Plugged in the firewire to the computer, it recognized the camera, inserted the card, then the camera asked me to plug in the firewire. Then I powered the camera down and removed the firewire. Everything sitll works.

Richard
    Last edited by bigfish007; 21st November 2011 at 15:12. Reason: actual steps followed

Post Thanks / Like

I got R361 via email from Hasselblad tech support. You won't find it on the web. I tried to find it before resorting to tech support.

Post Thanks / Like

would u pls b kind enough and mail it to us, [email protected], ths

Quote Originally Posted by sflxn View Post
    I got R361 via email from Hasselblad tech support. You won't find it on the web. I tried to find it before resorting to tech support.

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't find R361 either. I tried David's tip, putting the root program on the card, but that didn't work. The camera recognized I wanted to update. It asked me to plug in the firewire, when I did, the computer saw it, but no other options came up on the camera screen. I would call tech/support next unless David has some other tricks. I just powered the camera down and disconnected the firewire.

Note: Plugged in the firewire to the computer, it recognized the camera, inserted the card, then the camera asked me to plug in the firewire. Then I powered the camera down and removed the firewire. Everything sitll works.

Richard
    So you are up and running now?

Don't worry about if the computer sees the camera or not, which is why I said NOT to run Phocus.

D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by msadat View Post
    would u pls b kind enough and mail it to us, [email protected], ths
    I assume you have also updated body and viewfinder?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't worry about if the computer sees the camera or not, which is why I said NOT to run Phocus.

D
    David, the camera gave me no option other than "insert the firewire" after I inserted the card. No "OK" to install, nothing, just insert firewire command. Unless I did something wrong. I'm guessing I need R361. The camera definitely new I wanted to update the firmware from the card. Anything else I could try?

Richard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D
    David I did not have Phocus running. I talked to tech/support he thinks my download may have had a problem. He said I should not need to install R361. I'll try downloading a new R365 file and see if that helps. If that doesn't work then he will email me the R361 firmware. It's something simple going wrong. Let you know how it goes tomorrow. Thanks for the responces, appreciate it.

Richard

Post Thanks / Like

No problem,

Let me know how it goes!

Also, is your firewire powered? i.e.Mac?

Post Thanks / Like

h david, yes i am using a mac, and i was able to downgrade to 361 and then upgrade to 365 and all works. have not tested the new features yet
    thank for you help and support

No problem,

Let me know how it goes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No problem,

Let me know how it goes!

That might be an issue. Running PC, going from 9 pin to 6 pin takes it from essentially a 1394b to a 1394a connection. I just ordered a new 9pin pci card. I needed to change this anyway. I was able to update the body and viewfinder without a problem though. The tech at hasselblad didn't think is was the problem. Who knows? I'll post my fix when I get it worked out. Maybe I will eventually need a powered repeater!

Richard

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Richard,

The CF card method relies on you having power to the FireWire. So yes it would be a problem there.

What order did you try and do the update?

Body>VF>Back possibly?

Well worth getting the PCI card.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Richard,

The CF card method relies on you having power to the FireWire. So yes it would be a problem there.

What order did you try and do the update?

Body>VF>Back possibly?

Well worth getting the PCI card.
    Viewfinder, then body, everything went buy the numbers, not a single issue. I redownloaded the R365 firmware, and retried the update, same result. When I pluged in the firewire after I inserted the card, the computer recognized the camera. So it's probably the firewire power connection issue. Gives me and excuse to update my firewire card. Should be here probably friday. Absolutely loving the H4D-40.

Richard

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David,
    Installed PCI card (9 pin) and updated to R365 no problems. Just need some shortcuts for a few of the new features like level, focus check, etc, or where to find them.

The new screen resolution is better but it wasn't bad to start with IMO. Lightyears ahead of my ZD though.
    Richard

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Richard,

Have a look at this month's bulletin tips..

hasselbladbulletin.com

Some help on the new features there.

Also, don't forget that the AEL, True Focus, Mirror UP and Stop down buttons can all be configured to activate those features.

Press Menu (on the camera grip)>then the button you wish to program (i.e. AE-L), then scroll to the feature you want> Press save.

For example, when using the HTS, I find it helpful to put the mirror lock up on the rear of the camera, AE-L button.

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David thanks for all the help and tips.

Richard