The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thought I'd share...

Don Libby

Arizona Highways (a magazine) has for years only accepted film or transparencies for any of their images; that is until recently. I've had plenty people here locally tell me that I should attempt send my images in. And for years I've sat on the sidelines not submitting any work due to the lack of digital acceptance. Until now. Not sure when the editors changed their mind about accepting digital work however Sandy just brought home the recent magazine and guess what; they have an edition showing both digital and film. Oh boy now I've run out of excuses!

Here's the images that are being submitted. Big surprise all of them are from the Grand Canyon!

Yavapi Point​

Desert View​

Bright Angel Trail Overlook​

The Abyss​

Watch Tower​

3 out of the 5 were taken with the 28mm lens want to guess which ones?​

Bottom line is I've read the requirements and am just about to ship out my first submission so please hold your breath, cross your fingers, and do what ever else is necessary. Not sure of the time frame but I'll keep everyone posted.

Wish me luck!

don

Graham Mitchell

Sounds like someone in the scanning department was protecting his job, or perhaps there was a 'digiphobe' in charge. There's no possible benefit to a policy lke that. Quite the opposite. Good luck with your submissions!

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
How is Guy supposed to resist pushing the button on ordering the 28mm if you keep showing wonderful images like these, Don? ;)

Kurt

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
How is Guy supposed to resist pushing the button on ordering the 28mm if you keep showing wonderful images like these, Don? ;)

Kurt
Killing me.

Well on the AZ Highways issue it was some bozo back in the day protecting his job. So yes you are right, seems like a new editor or someone that no believes in the 21st century. Don no excuses now my friend, your work would shine in there publication. Now if they only pay good is the question

C

carbonmetrictree

This post was really meant for Guy! LOL, great images!

Killing me.

Well on the AZ Highways issue it was some bozo back in the day protecting his job. So yes you are right, seems like a new editor or someone that no believes in the 21st century. Don no excuses now my friend, your work would shine in there publication. Now if they only pay good is the question

Don Libby

Yavapai Point was done with 5 images taken with the 28mm in portrait mode (prints to 30x60 or much much larger)

Desert View was done with 2 images taken with a 35mm in landscape mode (prints to 30x60) – confession time here – this was shot hand held. I sold this one earlier this year printed on canvas

Bright Angel Trail Overlook done with 3 images 28mm portrait prints to 30x60 – sold a smaller image on canvas earlier this year.

The Abyss was taken with the 28mm

Watch Tower was taken with the 35mm same day as Desert View was done.

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement – I need to get off my rear and start submitting to magazines and such just lazy I guess.

don

p.s. Guy - You really won’t go wrong with the 28!:thumbs: :clap:

Don Libby

Received a package from Arizona Highways today. The contents were the sample images as well as the disk along with a sticky not attached that thanked me for my submissions however panoramas are very difficult for the magazine to handle. I’m looking at this much the same as when anyone see our work; they either like it and buy it or they don’t and move on; it appears the magazine has decided to move on. Doesn’t mean I’ll stop sending submissions just means they won’t be panoramas.

Thanks to all who have asked for an update.

don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Kudos Don. The images you shared above are certainly great, but I understand the magazine's "fit the page" mentality too. Should be easier now that you know what shape to submit :)

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Don - #'s 2, 3, & 4 above are really captivating and I wish you well with your next submission. I was at a lecture several years ago by the editor of a magazine. He said he was often asked how one gets their image on the cover of the magazine and his reply was to turn the camera - meaning most of the images that made the cover were in portrait format to fit the vertical format of the magazine.

etrigan63

Hey Don,
I found out about your site earlier this year and it served as an inspiration during my trip to GC in July. Here are a couple of mine that I like:

Grand Canyon from the Watchtower

Grand Canyon with God Rays

South Rim - Yavapi Point

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Nice shots Carlos!

Don: Is Arizona Highways still a large tabloid-sized magazine? I haven't seen one in years --- it was actually what got me interested in landscape photography way back when. Anyway, back then it was common to see double-page spreads in them and I was wondering if they still did that?

woodyspedden

Jack

No........Highways is now a standard sized mag. Quality is same as always..........i.e. superb. It is one of the few rags I get that still inspires.

Happy Halloween

Woody

Don Libby

Carlos

Thank you very much for the kind words – made my morning as a matter of fact! Love the images but I think my favorite is the first one from the Watch Tower – you should seriously think of submitting that to AZ Hwys.

Jack – Woody answered the question before me (thanks Woody). While the magazine is smaller format than what it used to be it still has some breathtaking images. I’ve not given up though the next submissions will anything but panoramas.

don