Site Sponsors

Thread: happy with your esata Drobo drive?

Post Thanks / Like

happy with your esata Drobo drive?

I am a drobo user - up until now, for backup only. Older model accessed through FW.

I am quickly filling my Mac Pro's 3TB internal raid array and thinking of going to a Drobo S with eSATA connection for main image storage. I would, ideally, switch all real time image access to this external drive.
    Any pitfall I am not seeing here? Seems eSATA should match speed on internal drives and I shouldn't see much or any performance difference.

stop me if I am wrong!
    cheers,
    Eric
    Last edited by faneuil; 21st November 2011 at 06:45.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: happy with your esata Drobo drive?

I find that it is about the same as a run of the mill 7200 SATAII drive. It is really slow compared to my XServe Raid array or a run of the mill e-sata enclosure running the drives in a software raid.

Post Thanks / Like

good to know. I am comparing drobo solution with just upgrading my 3 drive internal RAID to 3 x 3TB drives and upgrading my drobo 4 bay similarly. just gets pricey.

I'd prefer to just use a faster drobo, but it don't sound as if will match performance of internal raid

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Talk to MacGurus.com. Call them. They do photography back-up stuff and have proven to be very honest and helpful. Their Burly boxes are TANKS. I have four 5-drive Burly boxes with esata connections to a port-multiplying card in a Mac Pro , and use DroboPros for backup (they are iSCSI and much slower than the esata drives). I duplicate everything on two separate drives in the Burly boxes and have a third set of backup data on the DroboPros. Am considering a NetGear NAS by Ethernet out to my studio in the barn, as well as "cloud" backup.