Site Sponsors

Thread: Flash for Phase One 645AF & P40+?

Post Thanks / Like

Flash for Phase One 645AF & P40+?

Hello all,

I have searched and searched, but have only come up with a smidgen of older info on what flash system would work well with my camera.

I am going on vacation to Palm Beach for the holidays and do not want to lug my Elinchrom Ranger kits with me, but I would like some supplemental light at times.

I would appreciate ideas on which direction, new or used, Metz or Quantum for TTL, Canon or Nikon... in manual mode. I do not really use TTL, so it is not high on my list of needs.

Low price alternatives invited as I will rarely use this setup.

Thank you for your time, if you can spare it.
    Cheers, Johnny

Johnny Kurtz Photography | Salt Lake City | My Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flash for Phase One 645AF & P40+?

Anything goes. I've used my Canon 580s in manual mode, a Metz 60CT4 in auto (and manual).

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As Mark says if you're using it in manual mode then any hot shoe flash from the modern age will work flawlessly. It's just a hot shoe at that point.

I'd consider a last-generation Canon or Nikon as the vast majority of improvements since then have been regarding improved eTTL performance.

Of course if you want to come to Miami for an evening you could pick up some Profoto kits (D1 or Acute B) so that you don't have to fly with them :-).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Post Thanks / Like

Doug

Do you have any experience with the use of a Metz flash and the SCA3952 module to achieve TTL on a Phase One camera?

Regards.

mal

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Works nice in A mode. Been using it like that for several years, TTL was designed more for film and not sensors, not as accurate as you would think at least in MF world, Canon, Nikon have been more successful at ettl stuff. I also have a Quadras Ranger for battery solutions and Profoto D1 for studio strobes
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, it's "ok". Not great (e.g. a 5DII and 580EXII). But also very usable.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Doug

I found this little write up on the Capture Integration site.

March 18, 2009 | Tech

I recently tested the Metz 54 MZ-4i flash with a SCA 3952 adapter to see if it was possible to shoot full TTL on the Phase 645 / Mamiya body. I was a bit apprehensive if it would work, but it worked great! I shot with the flash head straight at the subject and bounced off of the white ceiling and both exposures were dead on. I was not able to test it on all of our MF bodies because that would require specific SCA adapter for each brand. Here is a quick list of the specific SCA adapter for the most common MF bodies: Phase One 645/ Mamiya = SCA 3952 / H1,H2&H3=SCA 3902 / 500ELX, 503CX, 553ELX=SCA 390 / Contax=SCA 3802

Who would you recommend as a Metz supplier in the US who would do international shipping?

Guy, which Metz unit have you been using?

Thanks very much for your help.

Mal

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mal,

You might want to check for availability of the SCA3952 because it seems to have gone out of production. I don't recall seeing an alternative part though from Metz - maybe one of the experts/vendors are aware of what there is now?

I got mine used from Guy and they do seem to come up on the auction sites. You may also find it as existing stock somewhere if you're quick and you want a new one.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea that was a dumb sale on my part too. Graham don't leave your bag open at the workshop. ROTFLMAO
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Graham

I was not aware it had gone out of circulation - I may have found a unit which might be new old stock - I will keep my fingers crossed it turns up.

I am assuming then Graham and Guy that the unit does actually work then?

Thanks very much for the information.

Regards.

Mal

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sure - it works although its not Nikon CLS by any means but good enough.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

I had no trouble getting the SCA unit new - eg from B3K Digital in Toronto. Some ditributors still have stock for their dealers. The Metz flash was another issue. That discontinued item must be special ordered from Germany, and costs more than the latest top of the line units. Made no sense to me.

Ordered a YN565EX from China. $165 shipped and seems to work OK in M mode. Mind, I have nothing to compare it with as I use the hot shoe flash so rarely. I did have a problem trying to use the YN for fill, and dangling a Profoto transmitter (for studio lights) from the IQ sync plug. Can anyone tell me if that is supposed to work? Should I have used the synch terminal on the DF?

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered a YN565EX from China. $165 shipped and seems to work OK in M mode. Mind, I have nothing to compare it with as I use the hot shoe flash so rarely. I did have a problem trying to use the YN for fill, and dangling a Profoto transmitter (for studio lights) from the IQ sync plug. Can anyone tell me if that is supposed to work? Should I have used the synch terminal on the DF?

I have used a Pocket Wizard Plus 2 connected to the PC socket on the DF and it fires the remote flash while I used the 580 on the hot shoe for fill flash - all manual of course.

Mal