Site Sponsors

Thread: Why the Big Difference in Price Mamiya 645AFD11 Lense

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why the Big Difference in Price Mamiya 645AFD11 Lense

I am looking to buy a Mamiya AF 55mm 2.8 lense for the AFD11. I see a New one from Keh for 250.00 and ebay and other sites from $350.-700.
    Whats up with that? Thanks, rollsman

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Why the Big Difference in Price Mamiya 645AFD11 Lense

EBay sellers just selling to the "price uneducated". KEH is a very reputable dealer and many pre-owned equipment vendors use them as a price guide.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

i've just received a 55 from KEH... it's not a pre-owned item... but a reduce to clear operation... a real bargain !

Post Thanks / Like

The "official" street price of the Mamiya 645 55/2.8 AF is still about $1200. But here and there, authorized dealers have been offering new-with-warranty overstock at steeply discounted clearance prices. This is one lens for which it definitely pays to shop around.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New in box 55mm from us is $699 with three year warranty.
    http://www.captureintegration.com/store/lenses/

KEH is also a very reputable vendor and is very honest and trustworthy with their condition listings. They would be the first to tell you they are a sale-only facility though and do not offer evaluation rentals, advice on lens selection (based on extensive speciality and experience), or support (other than a solid return policy for immediately after the sale).

As you might imagine with the release of the Phase One 45D and now the Schneider 55LS there has been a decline in the number of interested parties for a new-in-box Mamiya 55. The vendors that have the resources and speciality in the market to offer to buy up significant quantity from the warehouse can get good deals and pass them on to the end customer. KEH is such a vendor as are we (and a few others across the world). Basically supply and demand. Anywhere you see it listed for significantly more is either opportunistic selling (costs little to offer the sale on eBay and even a small % of takers will lead to meaningful profit) or are box movers that don't specialize enough to know when the FMV of a particular SKU has dropped and don't have the resources or specialization to make custom/negotiated deals for overstock from the manufacturer.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off