Site Sponsors

Thread: RZ 67 Pro and digital back?

Post Thanks / Like

RZ 67 Pro and digital back?

I am wondering if one should expect alignment issues or alike problems when using a digital back (with the respective "tolerances") on this mamiya workhorse? Put differently, does it make sense to get a used RZ Pro as a supplement to a tech cam?

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RZ 67 Pro and digital back?

Hi Chris, I own an older RZ Pro and not the newer Pro D and I use an even older Kodak back on it. At first I thought the focusing issues to be related to back and body not aligning but after much practice I've been able to focus extremely sharp. Some will tell you that the backs need some kind of alignment and others will tell you they come perfectly aligned. In my case I figured out it was all my fault.

After many months of debating I decided I will keep the RZ and shoot film with it instead of trying to upgrade to a more powerful digiback. I've also decided to buy a 645 Mamiya or Hasselblad combo with a much bigger sensor and less cables not to mention more portable!

Hope this helps and Happy turkey day!

Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Chris, normally (depending on the back used) you should not experience any issue however the RZ's focusing screen can be adjusted to accommodated any minor misalignment

Hope this helps
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Ed, thank you Yair!

One more question about the adapter plates: Can I use the Leaf adapter with an IQ back or is there a problem? I understand that all I would need is the wake-up cable - so basically, it's like using a tech cam.

(I still don't understand when and why there are, or can be, differences. In the beginning, I thought a Mamiya 645 AFD mount fits all backs having this mount. But then I had both a Leaf and a Phase back on a Cambo adapter plate and the former was loose while the latter was perfect. And Alpa offers different adapter plates for Leaf and Phase MA645 backs).

Thanks,
    Chris