The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help on configuring a Mac Pro

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
My system - the one described in the first post - can't do the 10.8.2 upgrade. Looks like the end of the line for it.
Upgrade from what OS?

If you have any version of 10.8 it is not your system....mine is Mid 2010 2x2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Zeon 32 GB memory ... handles 10.8.2 as it did 10.7 etc etc......

I assume that any Intel Zeon will handle the upgrade.

Check this out...seems like a FUBAR report to me.

S2-P files with multiple layers at 400MB are no problem.

Bob

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Bob - Thanks. I'm running 10.7.5. When I click the download button for 10.8.2. I get a message that it doesn't support my machine (a late 2007 as far as I can tell). I'm having a noisy fan issue with my Drobo so it too is slated for replacement. The problem on mass storage is the port issue - thunderbolt is clearly the way forward but I need something that can plug into my current desktop or file transfer will be impractical. A raid box with both thunderbolt and UBS 3 would be ideal but as far as I can tell this doesn't exist.

Doug - thanks. I've maxed my old box out with all of the suggestions from your article.

I'm clearly living on borrowed time.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Woody,

Your machine must be one of the first generation that cannot run 64bit

See Table at bottom:

Mac Pro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A workaround exists but may not be stable enough:

OS X Mountain Lion can run on unsupported Intel Mac Pros | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

The ESata raid connection on the G Tech drives will smoke both USB 3 and Thunderbolt for large continuous transfer...it does need a board to run which adds a bit of initial setup complexity.

Perhaps a Mac MINI with server OS will suffice for the present and then work as your blog file server down the road?

See Table at bottom:

Mac Mini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apple

I am not sure if it will choke on the video side....

Still no indication that Apple will update the Mac Pros .... many cinema and video guys are moving to PCs....that is not a return path for me.

Bob

I did a lot of searching on this before I purchased mine. It seems as if the 6 core is the is the best for most photo programs. I purchased a used 6 core and then added a SSD and 48GB of ram and I never have problems running any of the programs such as Capture One. Only time I had some trouble on my computer was editing a movie that started to get over 220 GB.