The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recommend A Cable Release For Mamiya 645

rollsman44

I just purchased a Mamiya 645 AFD11 and Leaf Aptus 22 Back. Can you recommend a Cable release so I can minimize movement on a tripod. Thank you. rollsman

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Just bear in mind that the long cable release is LONG ... I have to coil up mine otherwise it's pretty unmanageable. Personally I've never had a problem with losing the cables but it always pays to just have a spare. I keep mine separate from each other so that I can only lose one at a time :D

jagsiva

I have the looooong cable release and as Graham says it is very long. On the DF (not sure how the setup is on the AFDII) I find pluging in the cable release not to be the most userfriendly thing to do especially out in the field. You have to take out a substantially recessed rubber cover which is not tethered to the body in any way and easy to lose.

I find my self using a mechanical release from my Leica M9 most often. It's 3 feet long and works like a charm with MUP. It simply screws into the shutter release button. YMMV.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Jagsiva, I use the mechanical release on my M9 too - but not with MUP!!

I store my Mamiya release in a bundle actually held on to one of my Gitzo legs with a rubber band.

Bill

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
On the DF (not sure how the setup is on the AFDII) I find pluging in the cable release not to be the most userfriendly thing to do especially out in the field. You have to take out a substantially recessed rubber cover which is not tethered to the body in any way and easy to lose.
Too true. I bought a clutch of those covers and typically just leave it off my DF & AFD II. I'll put one back on if I know that I'm going to be out in the rain but otherwise I find it's just easier to leave it off. Somewhere I've got a number of those things hiding like pocket lint in various camera bags ...

CI has a very handy link on their website where you can buy these rubber replacements. Ditto for your Phase One MFDB rubber covers too! (Don't ask :rolleyes:)