Site Sponsors

Thread: MF SLR camera options

Post Thanks / Like

MF SLR camera options

I shoot MFD exclusively with a Arca ML2 and quite happy that way. However, very occasionally I wish I had an SLR for my back for those difficult to reach jobs or when I just need more resolution than my Canon can provide.

So I make enquiries about a Phase DF and was astounded by the cost of the thing! What on earth has Phase done other that plastering their name all over it to make it cost so much?

I have previously shot P backs on Mamiya AFDII's and the cost to buy the body back then was very little. I shot with the DF for about a week a few months ago and could see very little difference in the camera other than the absence of the satellite delay shutter release of the AFDII. To top it all off it still felt like the completely average camera it always has been.

So to cut a long story short, considering a new Phase camera is in the pipe line I'm looking at a Mamiya AFDIII/Phase One AF as an option. I understand that I can't use the LS in the new Schneider lenses on the older cameras but can I attach a LS lens and just use it with the focal plane shutter in the body? Then, when the new camera turns up an I don't have to re-purchase the LS lenses in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: MF SLR camera options

Why won't you just go with an AFDII/ III and FS lenses?
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Why won't you just go with an AFDII/ III and FS lenses?
    Because I can work now with the LS lenses, if they will work with the older cameras FS until I either replace the AFDIII with the new camera when it arrives or at the same time when the DF is more reasonably priced used.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The LS lenses will not work on any older bodies. They will attach mechanically but you will not have control of the aperture (so you can only shoot wide open) and no metadata is transmitted.

So unless you only want to shoot wide open the DF is your only option for using the LS lenses.

Sometimes we get in DF bodies pre-owned at a lower cost; if you haven't put a feeler out to one of our salesman that might be a way to go.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off