The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FRUSTATED

rollsman44

I have tried just about everything to download the Raw images from My Mamiya 645 AFD11 and Leaf Aptus 22 Back. I was able to get Leaf Capture 11.2.4. I can copy my images from my CF card to a New folder on my desktop. The problem is I am trying to get the Raw images to LR ver 2.7 It will not accept these images that I am trying to Import. If I convert the Raw to Jpg in LC it will go into LR. But I want Raw to go in so I can make my adjustments from Raw file and Not jpg. I just purchased this MFD system That I waited a LOOOONG time to get. Now I cant do anything. At this point I am willing to buy another Computer( newer one) and with software that I can upload with No problems. I now have a Power Mac G5 ver. 10.4.11 Is there a REASONABLE one I can buy for my purpose? I only shoot some portraits and some group shots and HOBBY. I do have an Ext HD 1 Tera. I dont need a lot of HD memory for my purpose. I want to be able to use C1 pro 6.0 to PP my images.
Please advise as to my Best and Most economical way to do it. Thanks, rollsman

Qamaro

rollsman,

Typically the best workflow is to go from RAW in the vendors software (Hasselblad = Phocus, Phase/Mamiya = C1 and Leaf = Leaf Capture or C1). This is to get the best possible file to start work on, you basically take you .mos file convert it to a 16-bit tiff for output which can then be imported into you DAM (digital asset management) software (LR, Aperture, etc.). You can then edit in LR or go from LR -> CS4/5.

Of course if you work directly in like C1 you can do lots of the editing and send it out directly to CS4/5 or even use Phase's MediaPro software as your DAM solution. But, if you like LR then this is they way I do it. I do it this way as I found that LR tended to massacre my .IIQ files if I imported them directly.

Hope that helps!

-Marq

rollsman44

Thank you. I will give it a try. I was also told to try DNG converter and then to LR. Take care. rollsman

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I have tried just about everything to download the Raw images from My Mamiya 645 AFD11 and Leaf Aptus 22 Back. I was able to get Leaf Capture 11.2.4. I can copy my images from my CF card to a New folder on my desktop. The problem is I am trying to get the Raw images to LR ver 2.7 It will not accept these images that I am trying to Import.

My guess is that LR 2.7 does not support the raw file produced by your Leaf back. I would look at the Adobe site to see if a upgrade to LR 3 would include the support for your file type. The upgrade is i believe $100 .

The other alternative is to use Leaf Capture to do the raw conversion but output a TIFF format . Then input the TIFF for further editing and output options.

Godfrey

.. I now have a Power Mac G5 ver. 10.4.11 Is there a REASONABLE one I can buy for my purpose? ...
Can't help you on appropriate software and workflow for that camera, but ...

A current Mac Mini outfitted with 8G RAM and a fast hard drive will make your Power Mac G5 seem like a boat anchor, performance wise. A current iMac 27" will do the same, moreso ...

You need a modern, Intel-based Apple system to run Lightroom 3, and Mac OS X v10.6. It's time to get into the modern era if you actually want to get the most out of your medium format digital camera setup.

Having a modern computer and correct software is at least as important as having a high end camera and lenses if you want to do great work with your photography. It's probably more important.

photo570

I have tried just about everything to download the Raw images from My Mamiya 645 AFD11 and Leaf Aptus 22 Back. I was able to get Leaf Capture 11.2.4. I can copy my images from my CF card to a New folder on my desktop. The problem is I am trying to get the Raw images to LR ver 2.7 It will not accept these images that I am trying to Import. If I convert the Raw to Jpg in LC it will go into LR. But I want Raw to go in so I can make my adjustments from Raw file and Not jpg. I just purchased this MFD system That I waited a LOOOONG time to get. Now I cant do anything. At this point I am willing to buy another Computer( newer one) and with software that I can upload with No problems. I now have a Power Mac G5 ver. 10.4.11 Is there a REASONABLE one I can buy for my purpose? I only shoot some portraits and some group shots and HOBBY. I do have an Ext HD 1 Tera. I dont need a lot of HD memory for my purpose. I want to be able to use C1 pro 6.0 to PP my images.
Please advise as to my Best and Most economical way to do it. Thanks, rollsman
Hi Rollsman. Anything intel will do. I am glad you want to use C1 for your images, and I am sure you know that if you own an Aptus then C1 is free. If I hear one more person whine about wanting to use Lightroom with their Aptus I think I will scream.:loco:

There have been several threads recently both here and on Lula about this. It is just so wrong. ( Just my opinion mind you ). But I loath Lightroom. If you are going to spend the coin an a back, use the right software for Pete's sake, it is free and will give you a much better result than one size fits all Lightroom. I know this will ruffle feathers, but it is true.:deadhorse:

Cheers,
Jason.

rollsman44

You are correct about me updating my system to a NEWER one. My issue is transferring ALL my data files, programs etc in my current computer to a new one without losing some or having a proble after that. I will look into a Mini or Imac. Thank you, rollsman
I did not think it would make a big difference in PP my images. Is it possible to explain how or why I would get better image quality? Thanks

Godfrey

You are correct about me updating my system to a NEWER one. My issue is transferring ALL my data files, programs etc in my current computer to a new one without losing some or having a proble after that. I will look into a Mini or Imac. Thank you, rollsman
I did not think it would make a big difference in PP my images. Is it possible to explain how or why I would get better image quality? Thanks
Upgrading to a newer system will mean

a) you can run the latest versions of all the image processing software you use, taking advantage of whatever improvements have been made.

b) image processing will work much more speedily and responsively, making it easier to do what you want to do in rendering your image files. The faster and more responsive the tools become, the more time you can spend trying things and improving your photographs.

Transferring your data and applications to a newer Apple system is easy, Mac OS X provides the tools required to do it automatically (on Mac OS X Lion, for instance, see the "Migration Assistant" application in the Utilities folder). Just follow the instructions. Some older software will no longer work ... you replace those apps with the latest versions or with new software that replaces the functionality. The replacements are generally more capable and work better.

You can make an appointment at an Apple Retail Store with one of the Genius Bar or 1 To 1 customer training/service folks to guide you through the process if you feel you'd like some assistance.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
You can make an appointment at an Apple Retail Store with one of the Genius Bar or 1 To 1 customer training/service folks to guide you through the process if you feel you'd like some assistance.
+1

The free weeky software trainings and by appointment setup / 1-on-1 training are some of the most underutilized services in the world of computer retail.

stephengilbert

No one's mentioned this, but if you're concerned about data files, you'd be well advised to have them backed up on a drive or other media outside your computer. Moving data to a new Mac is easy, as has been said, but I think it would be wise to have your data backed up.

Analog6

Does your version of Lightroom have the latest file recognition updates (not sure what they are called) from Adobe. I think you go to something like RAW files support and you can download 'interpretation' files for the various Adobe products. I had to do this when I purchased my Lumix FZ35 as my version of Photoshop did not have the right downloader recognition files.

Try this page - there are some camera RAW updates there