The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone ever use a loupe on an RZ WLF?

shelby lewis

Has anyone experimented with more options since the discussion in this thread? I am looking for increased magnification but whole 6x4.5 visible. The hartblei one looks like it might cover a 'full frame' MF digital back area without any cropping. Is anyone able to confirm this?

Best,
Pat
Funny... I've just come back here after a ton of time off and the first thing I see is a thread I started a million years ago.

(BTW, a glitch in the forum software deleted my account so I don't think any of my photos or galleries survived)

Although I no longer shoot the RZ, I eventually ended up shooting it with a Cabin PL-367 Loupe sitting right on the viewfinder. I miss the RZ and have considered moving back to it/ :loco:

Best of luck!

Cheers.
Shelby

robdeszan

Thanks for the suggestion Shelby. Can you remember whether the Cabin loupe allowed you to see the whole frame area? Was the image more magnified in comparison to the original WLF?

LCDVF is x2, I can't find what the magnification factor is on the original Mamiya WLF?

Pat

robdeszan

I wanted to share a solution to achieve increased magnification without placing loupes on the focusing screen.

I got hold of a Promaster 3.5x magnifying loupe, intended for viewing 6x6 / 6x4.5 film (great built quality, apochromatic lens with adjustable eyepiece) and attached it to the base of the original WLF (after disassembling the top cover with the magnifying lens), attached it with some 3M no-residue gaffer tape and it is absolutely brilliant!

Thanks to the range of adjustments on the Promaster loupe it can focus on the screen even without its screw-in viewing hood with some range still left before it reaches its maximum extension. Magnification is increased but you can still see the whole frame so composition is not compromised. Two photos with the loupe attached and one (downloaded off the internet) for reference only.

Pat

20161203_094332 (Large).jpg20161203_094354 (Large).jpgpromaster loupe.jpg

Last edited: