Site Sponsors

Thread: New York

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New York

Hey,
    I'll be in New York for few days next week and I just wanted to ask you guys what places I should visit in New York. I'm mainly looking to some great skyline/architecture motives. I wanted to get shots from the ESB, but as far as i know they don't allow big cameras or tripods....

I'm happy for any suggestions.

Thanks
    Christopher

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New York

One of my favourite spots is the river front in Hoboken in the afternoon

It's a 10 min ferry ride from West 39th St. or a short PATH ride to 33rd St.
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Or the Promenade in Brooklyn Heights, for a view of the city from the east.

Post Thanks / Like

Coming from a native New Yorker, the Dumbo area in Brooklyn is spectacular, offering a view of both the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges. It is also very close to the promenade, so you could travel to both in one session.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Check out the High Line.

http://www.thehighline.org/

Also stop on by our offices if you would like. Always like to meet fellow forum members.

Lance
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks fir the infos so far. Lance I will certainly stop by. Another questions are there any rooftops or stuff left where ine could get to with a camera ? I have the feeling after 9/11 there isn't much left.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Christopher:

my shop is in the brooklyn navy yard, a short walk to "Dumbo"

Post Thanks / Like

I had to drive out to Long Island last night and driving just before the Brooklyn Bridge and looking at the skyline and the lights of the city, it's just a world class view.

By the way, do you need a permit or permission to take out mfd gear and maybe a tripod on the Brooklyn Bridge? I've always wanted to get over there early some Sunday morning when things might be a tad slower. Now I'm concerned you could get arrested. Does anyone know if you can just photograph the bridge without Homeland Security, NYPD, and any other anti-terrorist unit taking you off to Gitmo for interegation.
    Last edited by David Schneider; 4th December 2011 at 18:01.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the only problem you'll have on the brooklyn bridge is the current construction hoarding and "hoards" of tourists, cyclists and runners (like myself) all competing for a small lane. Pay attention to the markings, walk/run on the south side, bike, rollerblade on the north side or risk decapitation

I've seen all kinds of cameras and tripods too if it is not busy, but for that you have to be early and early now is 7am sunrise. Once it gets busy which is fast the tripod will be a no go just out of courtesy. But there are few to no Park police on the BBridge. And forget about HS, you are more likely to get guff from rent-a-cops in corporate plazas when you are standing on a public sidewalk that is also part of their property (read insurance) line...

NYC is open for business as far as shooting goes, you'd be more out of place without a camera!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1 the highline
    also the view from top of the rock could be considered better than Empire State. You can see the ES from TOTR, and Central Park to the north. Tripods are def. no up there and you sort of have to watch the pro camera thing, I think they are sensitive to long lenses as if that means pro- But you can stealth away whatever you want. I did have a hard time up there with a 70-200 (white) canon zoom but then, actually, I was shooting for pay...I'm sure everyone does it...Empire State has no restrictions except tripods.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert,

Where can you park and walk to the Brooklyn Bridge at, say, 6am on a Sunday?
    Sounds like a monopod is a better way to go. Thanks.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

best approach to the Brooklyn bridge from Manhattan is to park at the Peck Slip Car lot, about 4 blocks from the pedestrian steps to the bridge, at 6 am you might even find street parking, but unlikely.. some good bridge shots from the Seaport area just south of the bridge, around Front st, Dover to Wall sts

From the Brooklyn side, best shots are around the foot (feet?) of the bridges (Dumbo), and from the waterfront park, including the new park off Fulton at the south end. there is a parking lot or two in the area, you might have better luck finding street parking here than manhattan. you are only a few blocks from the pedestrian entrances to the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges

this shot from the park in brooklyn, south end, looking at very lower manhattan:

and this one, same park at the north end looking at the brooklyn Bridge and Seaport area in Manhattan:

( I live right by that little tiny gray bldg a bit above the head of the lady in the green dress!)

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Top of Rockefeller Center aka The Rock

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for all the info. I just wanted to let you know whatg I will be in New York till Monday and after that in Bosotn till Friday. If someone from here wnats to meet up or so just drop me a line. I will habe a full Arca system and IQ180 with me.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

what jim said!

the new park south of bbridge is great, also there is a new carousel housed in a glass box just between the bbrige and manhattan bridge, you get cool reflections on the side of it.

monopod should be workable on the bridge i agree. I am sorry tho about the hoarding on the bridge. Dont know when it is due to come off. pretty hideous.

totr is always great.

Post Thanks / Like

On the Brookyln bridge

Brookyln Bridge pano2 by yatlee, on Flickr

Statue of Liberty from Battery Park

L1001614 by yatlee, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Nice images Yat.

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by yatlee View Post
    On the Brookyln bridge
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Tripods technically forbidden on TOTR ...... BUT ... Take a collapsed travel pod and you can set it on the top of the low concrete columns on the top level an get great panos. If large crowds as is typical at sunset, swap out your place worth a couple of other people at the front, spend three minutes getting your shot, and do it again energy 15 minutes for an hour. You will end up with a good set as the sky darkens and all the lights come on. A few extra dollars in the ticket line and they will sell you a sunset/sunrise discount for two trips up .... Worth it if you catch some good morning mist and horizontal God beams.
    Nighttime on the BrBridge merits the Canikon with IS. too much sway from traffic for long shutter speeds on a tripod ...... Maybe on an early traficless Sunday dawn?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice thread and images, I haven't been to NY for ages. But what is "totr"?

Post Thanks / Like

Top Of The Rock(efeller Center)