The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D-40 vs. H4D-50 worth 4K more?

Greg Haag

I am about to upgrade my H2 w P20 back for either H4D-40 or H4D-50. There is $4,000 trade difference between the 40 and 50, does anyone have some insight on whether you would spend the additional money for the H4D-50.
Thanks,
Greg

jerome

Hi,

I upgraded from the H3D31 to the H4D50 (I wanted the D60 but it never came :( )

I don't know if the few extra pixels are 4K worth, but I know the sensor is bigger. I think the choice should be around : do you need a bigger sensor ? if you do landscapes, and use lenses like the 28 mm, you'll appreciate the bigger sensor.

With Tech cameras or HTS it should be better.

Btw, I really see the difference from 31 to 50 : IQ is far better, details are great.

Jerome

fotografz

The two cameras are somewhat different, so how and what you shoot could be a determining factor as to whether it is worth the extra tariff.

The 50 is a 1.1X crop and the 40 is a 1.3X crop factor. So focal lengths are effected ... however, the HCD28mm is D lens, meaning its 28mm taking area is fit to the sensor size of the 50 ... and when used on the 40 produces a 1.2X factor making it about a 33.6mm focal length. Same 1.2X factor for the HCD35-90 zoom. Used with the larger sensor H4D/60, the 28 has a sliver cropped all around, so it is 28mm but the resolution is then about 56 meg. The HCD 28 has a image circle that will cover the full 60 sensor, but it is not recommended for critical use, and the true taking area can be had in Phocus by selecting the auto crop for the H4D/60 application.

The 40 does ISO 100 to 1,600 and is the newer sensor design. so ISO 1,600 is better than ISO 1,600 from the 31 meg cameras ... the 50 does ISO 50 to 800. The 50 is better in the studio, and brighter ambient, where the 40 is better for hand-held and does a very good ISO 800 and 1,600 if exposed and WB correctly.

The 40 uses micro lenses and the 50 doesn't. So if you use a tech field camera with view lenses, the 50 is the better, easier choice to use for this application. the HT/S1.5 is part of the Hasselblad integrated system and corrects for the H4D/40's micro-lens color cast.

As usual, application and preferences drive the selections.

(BTW, the 50 can be upgraded to a H4D/50 Multishot 50 or 200meg if you do still life work. It can still be shot as a single shot 50.)

Hope this helps a little,

-Marc

David Schneider

I thought the previous hassy 39 sensors were 36 x 48mm- so larger than the current h4d40 at 33 x 44. Maybe you mean the 39 is he same sensor size as the 50?
Aaron,

I'm not expert, but in speaking with Hasselblad reps in New York City during the PhotoExpoPlus or whatever they call it now, they said that the sucessor to the H3d2-39 was not the H4d-40, but the H4d-50. Reason seem to be the sensor size.

fotografz

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianhirschfeldphotography/

I have sections for the H3Dii-39ms and H4D-50. The 39 is similar to the H4D-40 in terms of resolution and sensor size. I definitely noticed a difference between the two.
Sorry, but they are NOT similar in size.

The old 22, 39, 39MS and current 50, and 50MS are all the same sized sensor with a 1.1X lens factor.

The 31 and 40 are the same smaller sized sensor with a 1.3X lens factor.

-Marc

Greg Haag

The two cameras are somewhat different, so how and what you shoot could be a determining factor as to whether it is worth the extra tariff.

The 50 is a 1.1X crop and the 40 is a 1.3X crop factor. So focal lengths are effected ... however, the HCD28mm is D lens, meaning its 28mm taking area is fit to the sensor size of the 50 ... and when used on the 40 produces a 1.2X factor making it about a 33.6mm focal length. Same 1.2X factor for the HCD35-90 zoom. Used with the larger sensor H4D/60, the 28 has a sliver cropped all around, so it is 28mm but the resolution is then about 56 meg. The HCD 28 has a image circle that will cover the full 60 sensor, but it is not recommended for critical use, and the true taking area can be had in Phocus by selecting the auto crop for the H4D/60 application.

The 40 does ISO 100 to 1,600 and is the newer sensor design. so ISO 1,600 is better than ISO 1,600 from the 31 meg cameras ... the 50 does ISO 50 to 800. The 50 is better in the studio, and brighter ambient, where the 40 is better for hand-held and does a very good ISO 800 and 1,600 if exposed and WB correctly.

The 40 uses micro lenses and the 50 doesn't. So if you use a tech field camera with view lenses, the 50 is the better, easier choice to use for this application. the HT/S1.5 is part of the Hasselblad integrated system and corrects for the H4D/40's micro-lens color cast.

As usual, application and preferences drive the selections.

(BTW, the 50 can be upgraded to a H4D/50 Multishot 50 or 200meg if you do still life work. It can still be shot as a single shot 50.)

Hope this helps a little,

-Marc
Marc,
Thanks so much for the detail reply! I think the 40 seems to be the best fit for us.
Thanks again,
Greg

Greg Haag

Marc,
Thanks for the detailed reply! I think the 40 seems to be the best fit for us.
Thanks again,
Greg