The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Beauty lens for m645

Mike Dote

Hello,
I'm still new to MF digital- I will be buying my first back sometime in the next couple days. I have a question about lenses though- what lens would be good for shooting beauty with?

I'm leaning towards a 120 macro, but I definitely can't afford the digital version after buying a back and a camera- so I'm wondering...

How bad would it be to use a film MF 120? I see one on ebay for like 500 and there's one locally for $600

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to your replies.

Mike

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you are considering the Mamiya 120 macro lens then the good news is that the glass hasn't changed significantly with this design at all until you get to the current recent Phase One f/4 D AF lens. All of these lenses are MF despite the nomenclature with the exception of the latest $4k lens which now is AF.

If you are getting the original M645 lens then it won't have the electronics to handle the aperture and so you'd have to manually stop it down and also do stop down metering. If you're shooting wide open at f/4 then it won't matter anyway.

This is a great thread btw: Mamiya Lens Reviews

Mike Dote

If you are considering the Mamiya 120 macro lens then the good news is that the glass hasn't changed significantly with this design at all until you get to the current recent Phase One f/4 D AF lens. All of these lenses are MF despite the nomenclature with the exception of the latest $4k lens which now is AF.

If you are getting the original M645 lens then it won't have the electronics to handle the aperture and so you'd have to manually stop it down and also do stop down metering. If you're shooting wide open at f/4 then it won't matter anyway.

This is a great thread btw: Mamiya Lens Reviews

Thanks for the input. I guess I will go with the older lens... I have no problem setting the aperture manually, and I will be shooting in studio so all of my metering will be done with a handheld light meter.

Mike

djonesii

Workshop Member
When I had my ZD with a 1.1 crop, I used the 150mm, and had good success.

Now with a P30+, and a 1.3 crop, I find that the humble 80mm ( non-D ) works well.

One thing to keep in mind is that the MFDB's tend to be brutally honest as to skin texture and tone, so the effects of using a very sharp lens like a macro will be seriously magnified relative to any APS-C sensor, and even to a full frame nikon like the D3X.

For this reason, I'd give serious thoughts to not using a macro lens for this job. The second reason that I would steer clear of the 120mm is that its a MF lens, and in my studio experience, most of the models that I work with like a quick posing rhythm, and that lends itself to auto focus.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just a quick shot as i am just starting airbrushing about 10 models at the moment but I use the IQ 160 and 110mm LS almost for everything. Shot in sensor plus mode ISO 200 with quadra fill flash.

Mike Dote

When I had my ZD with a 1.1 crop, I used the 150mm, and had good success.

Now with a P30+, and a 1.3 crop, I find that the humble 80mm ( non-D ) works well.

One thing to keep in mind is that the MFDB's tend to be brutally honest as to skin texture and tone, so the effects of using a very sharp lens like a macro will be seriously magnified relative to any APS-C sensor, and even to a full frame nikon like the D3X.

For this reason, I'd give serious thoughts to not using a macro lens for this job. The second reason that I would steer clear of the 120mm is that its a MF lens, and in my studio experience, most of the models that I work with like a quick posing rhythm, and that lends itself to auto focus.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Dave,
It definitely does help. Is a aptus 22 the same crop as a p30+ or a zd? Trying to figure out what I need to buy(or not to) so I will be able to get to work

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The 150 3.5 should do okay just need to stop it down some like F 8/11 and it should have a pretty good draw to it also. I may get one myself for the headshots. The 150 D is just too damn sharp for beauty work. Its a freaking laser and picks up everything. The 110 mm is awesome for full length and 3/4 but your pretty dang close for headshots, maybe too close but I like the longer look for head shots myself so a 150 3.5 or 210 might be a good choice plus they are less than 600 dollars too. I use the 110 for fill flash obviously these outside where shot with shutter speed from 1/320 to 1/500 sometimes. The lens I am really waiting on is the 240 LS

D

DoubleM

The 150/3.5 is a great choice .. a beast for the money. My copy is tack sharp at 4.5/5.0 (P65+), for portrait work you can even shot at 3.5 and will be satisfied. The AF is the most accurate of all my lenses on the DF.

Martin

SergeiR

150 AF, due minimal distance is a bit too loose for headshots on 1.1 crop or full 645 frame. You literally balancing on the minimal focusing distance and yet got too much space around sometime. Spacers do help for MF.

Hi,
I shoot with the 120 macro (non D) lens on an Aptus 22 and love it. It's manual focus but exposure etc is electronic. It's my primary lens in the studio. It is an incredibly sharp lens. AF is a little faster, but I find the MF lens to be more accurate/precise especially when not framing the models eyes in the center where the focus point is. I find the minimum focusing distance to be too far away on the other lenses. It really depends on what your style of beauty photography is. If you posted an image with your style that would be helpful. I think they go for between $850-1000 used. I think it's worth the extra couple hundred dollars to not have to open up and stop down to focus on every shot. That's one more thing to worry about/distract you from the shot you are trying to achieve.

I have an H1/P30+ system as well and love the 100 2.2, it's super sharp.

homeiss

I mainly shoot with an m645 150/3.5 N lens. It's an oldie, but it's a goldie! It really is a great lens, but I find the minimum focusing distance too far, just like others are saying. My next lens purchase will most likely be an m645 120/4 A lens.

Mike Dote

You can find some examples of my work online at www.mikedote.com

I am still on the fence between the 120 and the 150. I think I may go for a 150 for now, and use a 120 in the future in conjunction.

Anders_HK

Have sold all my Mamiya 645 system, but...

There was one lens that was difficult to let go:

Mamiya 645 80/1.9 :thumbs:

For its weight and size it is per my opinion the best Mamiya 645 lens ever made and in many ways magic. If want more expensive, more heavy, larger and thus more difficult to hand hold but with smoother bokeh, look at Hassy 110/2. I sold that one more easily...

Yes it is all manual, focus is best made by moving camera back and fourth to reach focus confirmation. Worked well on ZD camera, focus assist on AFDIII was pina (due silly focus confirm system on camera), imagine will work excellent on DF since camera beeb at focus.

If only one lens for Mamiya sysem, that is the one I would recommend. It aint sharpest, but.. the character...

The 120 is sharper, heavy and more difficult to hand hold, and not with same character.

Best regards,
Anders

Just checked out your site quickly...OMG, so funny that you shot Kara also. The only model I've ever met that refused to smile! Me-"Can you please smile a little?" her response, "No, I don't smile." If you are in NYC, I'll let you borrow my macro for a day if you want to test it out. I prefer to use the sharpest lens I can get, because I feel that's one of the biggest advantages of medium format. Message me and we can coordinate getting the lens to you if you want.
Cheers,
Josh

Mike Dote

Just checked out your site quickly...OMG, so funny that you shot Kara also. The only model I've ever met that refused to smile! Me-"Can you please smile a little?" her response, "No, I don't smile." If you are in NYC, I'll let you borrow my macro for a day if you want to test it out. I prefer to use the sharpest lens I can get, because I feel that's one of the biggest advantages of medium format. Message me and we can coordinate getting the lens to you if you want.
Cheers,
Josh
Thanks! I appreciate it. Kara was an interesting character for sure.

I'll message you once I'm done TAing at ICP for the day. I really appreciate you making the effort.

Mike