The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo tech users /Leveling head

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay folks I found a way to make the Cambo leveling head useful otherwise it is a big junk of metal on the Cambo that if attached as it is would be the size of a big ballhead permanently attached to your cambo which honestly is a bad design. Anyway this is kind of nice for Cambo users. So take a cambo leveling head as it is today. See pic below

Than take the 4 screws off the top and remove the section that connects to the camera and put in box. Underneath is a small pilot hole. What I did was Tap a 1/4 coarse screw hole in it so I can take a Arca Swiss flip lock and screw it down on to the base. See Pic below

Than at Ace hardware I got a tapered bolt with allen screw down in 1/4 size at 5/8 in long and bolted it on. Now I leave my existing Cambo mount on the camera use a Arca Plate for quick release and than I have a geared head. I am putting a leveling base on my tripod for the gross adjustments than fine tune with the Cambo. Nice cheap way around the Cube and works really nice. Nice part for me on the RRS tripods I can easily switch this all out house a center column setup with my Arca Swiss Z1 for my DF. Now that i have 3 tech lenses which i consider a full kit than my personal shootingI will be leaving the DF home and just go out with my tech cam like many of us do these days.

BTW the bolt that comes with the flip lock you can use but it is metric which is fine to use but if you go with a standard 1/4 inch thread you can use other types of quick releases a lot easier to mount. Reason why i switched it to 1/4 inch. I will shoot a image of the final look here in a minute

Guy Mancuso

Just some quick iPhone shots. But functionally it is really nice as it has 3 leveling knobs 2 for horizontal and 1 for vertical movements or maybe better said vertical tilt for leveling.

Don Libby

Thanks Guy, I had given this some thought for a smaller light-weight tripod. This on a light-weight walkable tripod and the Cub on the beast - best of 2-worlds.

Don

Guy Mancuso

Yes Don it is a nice smaller travel package and is very sturdy to boot. I will get out in the field and test it out along with some new lenses and I think i will be in heaven. LOL