The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rollei Schneider 180/2.8

paul25

I'm curious about this lens, but can only find a small number of brief reviews on the web.
Does anyone here have experience with this lens?

Please share some pictures from the lens as well if you would....

Graham Mitchell

This might help: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28673

I've found the 180 sharp, even wide open. The lens feels wonderful to focus. My only quibble is that it doesn't handle highlights well. There is fringing, iirc. That doesn't generally pose a problem when shooting people but it might be an issue for some. It's also a bit long for my work so it's a lens I keep just in case I need to extra reach some day, and I use it very rarely. For that reason I can't really give you a more thorough review. I know the 40, 80 and 110mm much better.

p.s. there might be some longitudinal chromatic aberration too, iirc. if you'd like me to shoot some sample, let me know.

JorisV

Hi Graham,

Slightly off topic. I have been eyeing the Hy6 for a while now. One of my biggest concerns is the lack of autofocus wide-angle lenses. As far as I know the 40mm is the widest lens available for the Hy6 but it is a manual lens, isn't it? Was or is that also a concern for you?

Thanks, Joris.

paul25

Thanks...
Do you have some pictures, not the test shots, taken with the lens...?

BTW, I'm getting the Super Angulon 40 as well....:)

Graham Mitchell

As far as I know the 40mm is the widest lens available for the Hy6 but it is a manual lens, isn't it? Was or is that also a concern for you?
Not really a concern for me - I usually use manual focus anyway although with an 80MP sensor it is even more critical to be accurately focused. I am still waiting for the Schneider AFD-Flektogon 35mm f/3.5 to be released.

The Hy6 is a great camera - I really enjoy it.

paul25

Wow....
Beautiful.....

Thanks... and please post some more if/when you can find some time to find more...

paul25

The lens was converted to Hasselblad mount, so it fits on my Hassy 205.
I just put Hassy to EOS adapter on the lens to try it on 5D MkII....:)

It's raining here, and I didn't want my Hassy to get wet.....:)

Graham Mitchell

All f stops work fine...:)
Has it been modified to mechanically move the aperture with the turning of the aperture ring?

I see no point in using a lens like this on a Canon, as I wrote in my blog: http://www.graham-mitchell.com/blog/?p=152

However, this might have some merit for use on another medium format body, if there really is no equivalent native lens. I can't help thinking that you could have just bought a used 6008i camera for less than the mod probably cost, if you shooting film, but I suppose that if you have a digital Hasselblad V then this starts to makes sense.

paul25

I did not buy the lens for 5D MkII....:0

I like Hassy V system that I have, 205TCC to be exact, and I have CFV16 digital back at the moment.
I've heard some Rollei lenses are better than those of Hasselblad, which made me consider this lens....

Graham Mitchell

Please don't take me the wrong way, I find this all very interesting. I'd still like to know how the aperture is controlled. This is the first Rollei lens conversion I've ever heard of.

carstenw

I hope it doesn't start a trend. Finding the interesting Rollei lenses is hard enough now, but converting them to other mounts would just make the situation worse.