Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Problem: IQ180 below -4 deg. Celsius

Gerhard

Re: Problem: IQ180 below -4 deg. Celsius

Excellent news! Looking forward.

Best,
    Gerhard

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    I can report that battery metering and general performance in sub-zero temps is being worked on at Phase One's Denmark Headquarters for improvement via firmware sooner than later. I cannot report more details than that, but will update the forum when more detail is available.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Mamiya Leaf, Leica, Arca Swiss, Cambo, Profoto, LaCie, Canon, TTI, Broncolor & More

National: 877.217.9870 | Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Gerhard

Stefan, you praise your expensive chargers, but in my opinion this is the wrong thread.

The problem is neither battery-related not charger-related. It is definitively the misinterpretion of the battery voltage by the IQ180. The battery voltage and -capacity of the Phase One batteries is absolutely okay, even in cold conditions.

An approved "battery checker" is the P45+ or P65+. If you insert a fully charged, cold Phase One battery into these backs they will correctly indicate that the battery is fully charged. The Phase One Haenel charger works absolutely fine with me.

Best,
    Gerhard

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    I can only propose that Users and Phase One also take a look at the chargers and the battery control. The Hähnel chargers are faulty ! [...]

Regards
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gerhard

The P45+ and P65+ consume/draw less power. This is no proof.

On the opposite I have used our charger recently for the fulldome tests timelapse tests that we did with a Leaf aptus 8, I had 5 leaf SAL160 batteries of those only two where charging better than 80 % and over 1600 mHa (new ones!) and I have selected those two for our shootings - they ran 500 shots in a row on the rail until they were empty and this was in Wroclaw at about 5-6 degrees minus , if someone does not believe it he can take a look at my making of shoots, see Patryk and me clothed like eskimoes but nevertheless freezing our Butts off ! (1 run up to one hour waiting to finish - exposure times between 1 and 4 seconds).

see here
    HCam.de | Facebook

and Gerhard - batteries do not slowly break down. LiIon cells have a point where when power draw will be to strong they simply back out and voltage collapses. This happens even more when temperatures are below zero.

and then your Phase IQ180 Back - which is actually probably OK, but energy hungry, just blinks.

Regards
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like

Doug,
    Thanks. I got the same report from my dealer yesterday. I was on my way to pick up an external pack Phase put together when I got the message, "Hang on - you might want to wait." Good news indeed.

Stefan, you may be right, but I don't think that is the core issue here. The batteries seem ok to me.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It IS quite easy to try out what´s the reason: does anyone have an external Firewire powerpack and an IQ180 ? If the IQ180 is still blinking - it´s a faulty electronics in the back . If it´s working then, it´s the batteries !

Regards
    Stefan
    Last edited by Stefan Steib; 18th February 2012 at 08:57.
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like

Stefan,
    See my post on the previous page. I essentially did that, but with batteries. A warm 100% battery reads only 30% in a cold back. Let the back warm up and the same battery reads 100%.

I think Phase will be releasing a firmware update soon with a change that will improve this. Sounds like it has been solved.

Ciao,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

So... New firmware today with "significantly improved" battery life in the cold. This week it is 80+ deg F here. Did anybody have a real winter who could test this? It's next January for me.

I suppose I could find a walk-in freezer.

Dave