The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

schneider sharp fully open

danlindberg

Well, I am almost ashamed that I have not tried any of my Schneiders fully open at 5.6 for the simple reason that everyone says/writes....."useless, mushy, no not really, only so-so, oh huge difference to f8, if you need 5.6 - buy Rodies".....and so on!
This has made me not even try it :eek:

Today I did for the first time. And what a surprise! The Schneider 35 XL at infinity and f5.6 gave me an incredibly sharp borderline of a castle about 150-170 metres away. Believe it or not, but at 100% view there was very very little that improved with f8. I am not even sure if I could pick out f5.6 instead of f8 in a test.
Now, my 35 XL has been to Schneider in Germany for recalibration and I suppose that has something to do with it as well. So, the tip of the day, if you have a 35 XL and it is 'mushy' at f5.6 - get it recalibrated!

I could not be happier, it is not only usable at f5.6, it is darn sharp and impressive :D

anGy

Also have a Digitar 35 and also did not use it full open even once due to this bad reputation. I'll follow your advice, thanks :salute: