The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

capture pilot 14.99 sucker punch!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
It's also worth mentioning that because the App is distributed by Apple (which is the only way to offer software for the iPad/iPhone/iPodTouch) there is no way to limit a free version to just those who own a digital back.

And to accomplish the offer to provide it for free to those registering their backs they actually had to pay out-of-pocket for iTunes gift cards; so they actually lost a bit more than $15 in cash for everyone who did this (I'm sure we can agree they can afford this, but it's still pretty unusual for a company to do) and they only got 70% of this back for those customers who then spent the $15 on Capture Pilot (since they had to send it as a standard gift card they could have also - for instance - bought Angry Birds for their kids in which case Phase would have gotten nothing back and would have effectively lose $15 in cash as a reward for developing an excellent tool).

The Apple software distribution method here is the major limitation. If Phase could simply send out a discount code to their dealers in a way that cost them nothing (or something nominal) to give to their digital back customers I can almost guarantee you they would.

I hope that makes sense. Phase really does think these things through (usually). I think it was pretty good of them to make the app itself free as it's by far the best-in-class app out there (assuming it's set up well). But it also added a lot of support load (having to have staff/support/developers knowledgable about the iOS platform and the myriad of Wifi routers and Wifi setups and the nuances of camera control limitations/issues of a dozen supported cameras.

Phase One opened their software up to third party cameras very early on and it remains one of the best decisions they ever made. The revenue from dSLR users buying Capture One is the major source of funding/justification for the significant cost of developing software that competes head-to-head with behemoths like Adobe and Apple (in many areas exceeding it, some areas a bit behind, but in any case very competitive). Without that funding Phase One would likely have software at the level of it's medium format competitors. That first-class software is provided for free for use with any digital back from Phase One and all recent Leaf/Mamiya digital backs (Capture One DB) - without limitation of number of computers and with free upgrades to future versions. It is only if you want to use the software with a Canon/Nikon to make those products better that you have to pay for the Pro version of the software. They in fact do include Capture One Pro with digital backs when you purchase the Value Added Warranty which is what I would prefer everyone buy - but of course many will opt for the less expensive Classic Warranty and as a way of making those kits less expensive they do not include Pro.

You can really bounce these issues anyway you want marketing / business / perception wise. You can ALWAYS afford to throw in something more, but where is the limit? I would love them to throw in a 32gb card and 12 Eneloop AA batteries with every back and a 10-year warranty, but everything costs and I think it's more fair to lay out non-essential accessories/options as separate items so each photographer can decide what they want to pay for (as including it for free will, by definition, increase the average price required to make the target revenue). For instance a photographer who already has 10 CF cards will not want the underlying cost of the kit he buys to be raised by the "free" inclusion of a CF card. Nor does a photographer who never shoots tethered want the underlying cost to be raised by the development of a tether-only app like Capture Pilot. Normally software would be a different story since it can be "thrown in" at zero incremental cost. But especially when talking about the App store that is not actually the case.

Don't get me wrong though; I understand how you feel. I felt much the same when I had to pay my $15 for personal use. It's a gut feeling of just being nickel and dimed. But I hope the above explains why that isn't the reality of the situation.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Last edited:

faneuil

thanks Doug for the well phrased response.
I missed that 15 USD itunes email.. no biggee.
would be nice if that offer didn't have a time limit and extended to all phase back owner who register.

or a tee-shirt..which I would proudly wear to the gym
:)
Eric