The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

capture pilot 14.99 sucker punch!

faneuil

SO - I am finally settling into C1 workflow..

This weekend I was doing a product shoot with P65+ and 100mm macro lens, tight focus - a very fussy process of microadjustments as you can imagine.

Perfect time to try out my Capture One Pilot app (on that brand spanky new Ipad 2)
I've got the ipad next to the hero object on a white table.
Camera poised and yet to shoot.
I try to press that neat little capture button on the ipad.
And the darn thing asks me for $14.99 upgrade charge!

I paid it. When you are this deep into gear that seems cheap.
But I felt like a Porsche dealer had just served me French press coffee.. and then asked for $2 to cover the beans..

BTW- capture one pilot works beautifully. make sure you've got strong wifi signal for snappier image updates as you capture.

:)
Eric

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I also just noticed that. Extremely poor form on Phase One's part. I'm waiting for a popup asking me to pay $20 to apply sharpening.

In fairness, I just checked the website and they DO mention the $15 charge for activating these features. And the font isn't completely unreadable.:rolleyes:

Matt

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
LOL. Yea this one should be a freebie at least to Phase owners. Thought Phase should develop a Phase Club for back owners only. You register your back with them and you get free downloads for stuff like this. I can see the Canon guy or Nikon person paying but for owners of the backs and systems . No it should be a freebie along with a baseball hat to boot. LOL

yaya

I'm willing to bet that all of you have more than one app which you've paid for (Angry Birds?) and I think that $15 for having the added functionality of controlling your camera remotely is well worth it...

(and yes I also had to pay for my copy...)

yair

vieri

I also just noticed that. Extremely poor form on Phase One's part. I'm waiting for a popup asking me to pay $20 to apply sharpening.

In fairness, I just checked the website and they DO mention the $15 charge for activating these features. And the font isn't completely unreadable.:rolleyes:

Matt
LOL. Yea this one should be a freebie at least to Phase owners. Thought Phase should develop a Phase Club for back owners only. You register your back with them and you get free downloads for stuff like this. I can see the Canon guy or Nikon person paying but for owners of the backs and systems . No it should be a freebie along with a baseball hat to boot. LOL
Agree with you both - and I'll throw in one better, for back owners I find it also VERY poor form to ask full price for the general version of Capture One (not the free DB one). They know that almost all of us have another camera system, and assuming we would like to use the same software to unify workflow and all that, after having us pay in the 10th of thousand dollars it seems to me that they could throw in C1 for free - as Guy said, setup a Phase Back Owners Club and let the CaNikon guys pay for it! We want it for free!! :ROTFL: (thinking at the margin they have on these backs, "free" is a big word anyway...!)

Guy Mancuso

Heck my wife just bought all our workshop attendees gifts for Death Valley today. See we take care of our customers. ROTFLMAO

I'm busting chops here. But seriously stuff like this goes a long way in building relationships with your customers. Oh am i going to get hate mail now. I don't care I'm badass and eat cobra for breakfast.

See Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

MGrayson

I'm willing to bet that all of you have more than one app which you've paid for (Angry Birds?) and I think that $15 for having the added functionality of controlling your camera remotely is well worth it...

(and yes I also had to pay for my copy...)

yair
Yair,

Do you really think that this is about the $15? The term "nickel and dimeing" is not about the extremely valuable nickels and dimes. It's about behavior unworthy of a professional. You should not be trying to defend it.

Matt

faneuil

I really do like Phase very much and didn't mean to create a flammable thread.
It was more amusing and slightly annoying..the extra fee.
Given then multiple 10ks I am into phase for, $14.99 just seemed downright silly
Especially the 99 cents!

yes. I too just bought the full version of C1 too for my 5dmkII shoots
But that I understand.

Yes. I would like a free tee shirt and baseball hat at some point!

Eric

Guy Mancuso

Not flammable at all. I think we are all just having a little fun. But it still would be nice and that really is kind of the point. A little perk sometimes just goes a long way.

yaya

Matt if you think of it as another item in the price list that has a low cost and that is required for enabling an added functionality (for example a mask for your focusing screen or an LCD cover) then I think you would agree that it doesn't necessarily have to be free

MGrayson

You insist on misunderstanding. No one is debating the value. It is worth twice $15. The surprise charge tactic, though, is offensive and is, as they say, priceless.

Two apps: a free client version and a $15 pro version would have accomplished the same thing with no bad feelings.

Matt

yaya

You insist on misunderstanding. No one is debating the value. It is worth twice $15. The surprise charge tactic, though, is offensive and is, as they say, priceless.
My apologies Matt,

I've just re-read your first post and realised my response was a bit hasty as you've already noted that the additional charge is mentioned on the site. (it is also mentioned in the Apps Store as an In-App purchase (click "More" on the right hand side) but perhaps it is not clear

I'll pass your feedback to the relevant people in Denmark

BR

Yair

vieri

Matt if you think of it as another item in the price list that has a low cost and that is required for enabling an added functionality (for example a mask for your focusing screen or an LCD cover) then I think you would agree that it doesn't necessarily have to be free

Two apps: a free client version and a $15 pro version would have accomplished the same thing with no bad feelings.

Matt
Indeed - nobody is debating the value, but both the tactic & the fact that you'd think maybe Phase could throw it in as a perk to people who spend 20-30-40-50 K in their gear ($15 is about 0.1% of their cheapest back's price, after all - any retailer would give you a 0.1 % discount, especially if not in money but in their own products...). As Guy said, a little customer attention would cost very little and go a long way :D I don't think that there isn't space in their profit margin for that - if indeed they couldn't do it margin-wise, I think they'd be out of business pretty quick :eek:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Phase One sent an email to end-users a few months back to offer just that. They provided a $15 iTunes gift card to anyone who registered their back. This included all legacy and current backs whether in the original owners hands or not.

Maybe you opted out of their marketing email list?

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Guy Mancuso

Phase One sent an email to end-users a few months back to offer just that. They provided a $15 iTunes gift card to anyone who registered their back. This included all legacy and current backs whether in the original owners hands or not.

Maybe you opted out of their marketing email list?

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off
Maybe I did not even get it, I certainly don't remember it. Okay now that is not exactly fair anyway, I can't remember anything. LOL

Like Terry I thought my back was already registered on our purchase from the dealer. I would like that data confirmed please.

yaya

Terry and Guy all you need to do is to connect your back to Capture One and to check the Update tab in the preferences. On that email that Doug has mentioned (Sept 7th 2011) there was a screen grab showing the update tab...

E

eiaa

I still have all the Phase One emails online available. Unfortunately I have not received a email on Sept 7th 2011.
The closest I could find was Sept 5th 2011 - "Take control with Capture Pilot".
There is nothing mentioned about registering the digital back.
Perhaps the mail was just delivered to the people who already have registered their digital back previously...

View attachment 52381

PeterL

I got it on Sep. 7th. I've never registered a back before. It's a general iTunes $15 credit, you do not need to buy the app if you do not have any use for it.

Cheers, -Peter