The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya Auto Bellows

djonesii

Workshop Member
I have been starting to look into macro with a MFDB ...

There are a few sites out there on the web that show a slew of Rube Goldberg ways to get microscope objectives onto DSLR, and then move them around for focus stacking.

That seems a bit complicated as a first go, so I'm going to stick with a simple bellows setup and either normal mount or reversed mount lenses.

Good ole KEH has Mamiya (645 AF) Auto Bellows #NC401 This bellows, and all I can find is that "magnification varies with the lens mounted"

Any ideas how to compute both the magnification and DOF when using various lenses?

Thanks for the help.

Dave

V

Vivek

There are many publications available. Among which, I strongly recommend the Kodak publication No. N-12 (long out of print but easily found used, often for a pittance).

"Close-Up Photography & Photomacrography", Eastman Kodak Comp., 1977, ISBN 0-87985-206-2

Shashin

I would look at a Novoflex Universal bellows and enlarger lenses. Enlarger lenses are really great lenses for macro work as they are optimized not only for small distances and flat fields, but also for resolving power. 80mm and up should have a good image circle for your sensor. If you buy the lenses from eBay rather than from Novoflex, you will get much better prices. You just have to tape off the aperture dial illumination path.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
If you decide to buy that bellows you could also buy it from a vendor that has done the exact kind of work you're looking to do and can provide expert guidance.

http://www.captureintegration.com/2009/08/25/extreme-macro/
http://www.captureintegration.com/store/lenses/

A lot of the formulas and technique you're inquiring about are outlined at those links.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

V

Vivek

Indeed. That is the whole point. If you read the pdf or better if you happen to compare the plastic ones vs the metal barreled ones you will see the advantages.

To summarize:

1. Better construction in terms of build.

2. Symmetric barrel allows one to reverse the mounts easily (no extra adapters needed) as well as allowing the use of hoods (very important for anything serious).

Schneider used to sell some of these labeled "APO-Makro Componon 60/4" and such. These were already reversed.