The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format question

jsf

I am being offered an adapter that will allow me to put a MF digital back on my Bronica System. The question is; is the Bronica system worth putting a digital back on? I have every lens pretty much made, it served me well as a professional in the '80's as my system of choice. However I really do not know if the lenses are sufficient for digital, should I just scrap the idea and purchase a more modern system. I retired years ago, I have a d700 which I am quite satisfied with, but every so often I long for MORE MP, not for any good reason, just the normal lust that we have for bigger and more. It would be a low cost way of getting into MF digital keeping the Bronica, but if it really won't support the back adequately I can easily wait. So any thoughts on the bronica? Joe

Shashin

I use a Pentax 645D and three of the four lenses I use are from the silver age of film and they are great. I also shoot a Phase One P25+ with view camera lenses also made originally for film and get excellent results. There are other MFD that use silver age lenses and work fine. That was the short answer. Some of the Pentax line are not great. But I have found them a minority by far.

The most important thing for your adapter is that it is within the tolerances for the system--the Mamiya RZ and Hasselblad V have all had MFD backs on them successfully. So your camera might work very well.

BTW, I would not go for MFD for the pixels, but the chip size. That is what gives it its MF glow.

carstenw

It is difficult to search for the performance of specific lenses on digital, but if you search on the web for "Bronica digital", you will find some information.

rhl-oregon

Joe, I'd be interested in what you find out, as someone with an ETRSi system (and who loves the film rendering of those lenses).

I noticed that Sarah Thompson was a longtime Bronica user/ MF aficianado who shifted from film backs to digital backs (in her case, a MegaVision E4 for the Bronica). If you're not familiar with her work, start here:
http://www.findatlantis.com/wiki/index.php/Why_I_Shoot_Digitally.

I do digital in M43 and Ricoh GXR because the latter can mount my Leica M and LTM lenses, and and the former also takes my OM and M42 lenses. But I would go for a digital back for the Bronica once I can be sure it's a worthwhile investment (because it will not be a cheap one anytime soon).

Best,

Robert Long
Eugene Oregon