The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Joined you, thanks CI! Question...

B

bdeshazer

Thanks to Chris @ Capture Integration, I'm now the owner of a new Phase One body and a P30 back.

As I'm sure everyone is aware of, CI was awesome and Chris really came through for me, they've got my whole-hearted recommendation to anyone looking to make the jump from 35mm.

There's lots for me to adjust to, but my first shoot with it yesterday went really well, considering I just received it the middle of last week.

I've got the 80mm, 150mm and 210mm lenses, I need to add something wide. Any recommendations for an AF wide-angle? I was thinking about the 55mm f2.8 but was also thinking about about the 45mm because of the P30 crop factor. Thoughts? I'm mostly a portrait shooter and have a tendency to use lenses closer to wide-open than stopped down very much.

Thanks,

Brent

Dale Allyn

Hi Brent. Welcome.

Congratulations on your new kit. Regarding the 55mm f/2.8 and 45mm f/2.8: both are quite nice. I own both, though have a had the 45mm longer. Image quality seems to be quite similar. Some suggest that the 55mm may be ever-so-slightly better, but I've not done any direct comparisons. The 45mm has been very impressive to me for my purposes.

I also own the 35mm f/3.5. This lens shows quite noticeable barrel distortion and is softer in the corners, but for my purposes (landscape) it is a useful and needed lens in my kit. Stopped down it is satisfactory, if not spectacular, and the distortion can be corrected in post if it is necessary. I'm fairly happy with this lens, though would be happier if it was sharper at the corners and exhibited less distortion.

Others will no doubt have input regarding these lenses as well.

Last edited:
B

bdeshazer

Thanks Dale, that's helpful. Are you using the 35mm lens full-frame or on a cropped body?

That was the one thing I always liked about my 1D/1DMKII cameras, the 1.3 crop was just enough to crop out the edges and makes those factors slightly less important. Of course, you always have to think of the future as well and what that lens might be going on later...

If the 45 and 55 are really that close I'll probably opt for the 45. Hopefully others have some input as well.

Take care,

Brent

Dale Allyn

Brent, that's a good point. Sorry I didn't specify. I'm using a P25+ back, so the crop is quite a bit less (~1.16ish). You're right, you will be "cleaning off" the edges with the more cropped sensor.

In comparison to 35mm equivalents, the 45mm on your back will have the field of view of approx. 35mm on FF DSLR. The 55mm Mamiya would be about like 43mm on FF DSLR.

HTH,

Dale

B

bdeshazer

Just noticed that I said "cropped body"...heh, still adjusting to the change.

Thanks again, the 45mm is probably what I'll end up with, KEH has a few in stock but I'm going to see what comes out of Photokina, too.

Brent

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Brent and welcome to the MF world!

The 45 and 35 both have weak-ish corners on the P45+ - not horrible, just obviously less sharp than the very crisp main image area. I suspect your P30 will crop out most of the bad from either lens. From there, the 45 probably has a tad more contrast than the 35, but the 35 certainly has the better build quality. In my case, I went with the 35/55 pair and sold my 45. If I had a crop sensor, I might consider the 28/45 pair instead, but not sure...

Cheers,