The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question for Hasselblad users

Jeffg53

I deal directly with Hasselblad directly in Sydney. Their service couldn't be better from my perspective. I have had a few weird issues which they stuck with to a successful conclusion. I am very happy having only one person to deal with for the complete system. When things go wrong, there is no finger pointing.

fotografz

Doug is absolutely correct ... specifics count.

My Hasselblad dealer in Michigan is Jim Arnosky, and is my first line of contact for any purchase, information, or trouble shooting.

He has hand-delivered every H camera I've purchased, went over it first with a fine-toothed comb, spent hours arranging for a H4D/60 demo to test against my H2F/39 Multi-shot, came to my studio and set-up my Rollei Xact-II, and spent all the time needed to shim and test a Rodenstock 120 macro, which we eventually replaced. He has had the answers to 95% of any questions I've asked, and swiftly gets answers for those he doesn't know.

Jim is an ex-studio tech, and knows more about this stuff than most photographers I know, let alone dealers.

In this case, dealing with an official dealer is preferable to dealing directly with the company. Not that anything is wrong with a direct sale, but at these prices I like one-on-one treatment and knowledgable re-assurance.

-Marc

stngoldberg

Peter Lorber is a Hasselblad dealer in Boca Raton, Fl. He gives his cell phone number to customers that purchase Hasselblad cameras from him and tells customers to call him anytime. I have needed help in the evening and on weekends-true to his word Peter has been available and in every case solved my problem. If you follow this site, you know that capturing and rendering an image can be complex and having a Hasselblad dealer to assist you is almost essential.

Stanley

JorisV

I tend to deal directly with Hasselblad. The word attitude has already been mentioned above for a specific dealer and that was also what put me off. In my particular case it was actually the reason that I ended up with a Phase One back and not a Hasselblad back...

A good dealer can provide tremendous value in my opinion but those dealers are few, certainly not the majority. If the dealer is just acting as a pass through I prefer to cut him out entirely.

malmac

I deal directly with Hasselblad directly in Sydney. Their service couldn't be better from my perspective. I have had a few weird issues which they stuck with to a successful conclusion. I am very happy having only one person to deal with for the complete system. When things go wrong, there is no finger pointing.

Jeff, perhaps unfortunately for me I don't live in NSW - so had to wait about six months before I got to see David at Silver Pixel. I never tried to deal directly with Hasselblad NSW - so can't comment on their service - which I assume from your report is very good.

Cheers

Mal

fotoflood

I tend to deal directly with Hasselblad. The word attitude has already been mentioned above for a specific dealer and that was also what put me off. In my particular case it was actually the reason that I ended up with a Phase One back and not a Hasselblad back...

A good dealer can provide tremendous value in my opinion but those dealers are few, certainly not the majority. If the dealer is just acting as a pass through I prefer to cut him out entirely.
I couldn't agree more. In fact I was considering the purchase of Alpa equipment until I finally had enough of Fotocare and their selling/support tactics. Instead I went with Arca. Both Alpa and Arca are great technical camera systems, but I preferred doing business with DT. I feel I get better pre/post-purchase support than I ever got with FC. There are other dealers who sell Alpa in the States, but I wanted support within a reasonable proximity to my work place.

Jack

Udo

Hello Greg,

Living here in a remote location in regards for high end photo equipment I was in big need for a supply path and therefore looking for an alternative supply for Hasselblad gear until I met Nicky West (Hasselblad UK Salesmanager for London & South East, [email protected]) two years ago, which was and still is a great fortune. She is very knowledgeable and helpful and responds very quickly to my inquiries. All my purchases have been processed smoothly and reliably. And, what is quite important for me here, she ships world wide.

Cheers, Udo

Greg Haag

For those of you who may have gone from a Phase back to Hasselblad, I am curious if you have any workflow suggestions. Previously, I have used a combination of Capture One Pro & PS. Are your aware of any good threads I might read? I have searched but not found anything that goes into much detail. It seems many people are incorporating Lightroom into their workflow with the Hasselblad. Any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated. I have downloaded Phocus & watched the videos from Hasselblad.
Thanks in advance!
Greg

Lee Love

One thing to consider is by going directly to Hasselblad you are not doing anything to build a local relationship. What happens when you want to try a lens or get an accessory or even basic help ?

If we don't support local dealers then the next time we need help, they may not be there. Also, if you buy direct then what is the incentive to help you when you go into the dealer ?

I have seen friends buy online to say $20 then as soon as they have a problem, question or need something in a hurry they expect the dealer to bend over to help them. They don't get the concept of building a relationship with your vendors.

I am sure Doug and others will agree even though this gear is really expensive, the dealers profit margin is peanuts.

BobDavid

I've worked with two Hasselblad dealers over the past five years. Both have been terrific. One is in Connecticut, the other in Tampa, Florida. These dealers have always gone out of their way to ensure that my questions and concerns are addressed accurately and quickly.

Greg Haag

Thanks to everyone for your help, it arrived tonight. My daughter was a willing sport. FYI, this was iso 1600 with imagenomic noiseware run on it. Thanks again for your help.
Greg

fotografz

Pretty good 1600 for a MFD camera huh Greg?

Maybe a touch to much skin softening for my taste ... I do a lot of this sort of post work shooting weddings and use any noise software on a layer ... then use the layers pallet slider to reduce opacity just enough to maintain some skin texture.

YMMV.

-Marc

Greg Haag

Marc,
It was a surprisingly good file for iso 1600, this was my primary reason for going with the H4D-40 over the H4D-50.
I am really looking forward to using this outside the studio. We have a shoot with a coffee grower/manufacturer over the holidays, this will be our maiden voyage.
Thanks again for your help!
Greg

R

Rich Andres

Hello from Foto Care

Hi Guys,
My name is Rich Andres and I've been in the industry for over 21 years. For 14 of those years I've been with Foto Care. If anyone would like to discuss service and support issues please feel free to contact me by phone, by email, or by stopping in. I also give out my personal cell phone number to rental and sales customers, and now you, 917-886-2582.

As a senior member here I'd like to know your issues if you have them with us. I can tell you I've been here as long as I have because of service and support. That includes pre-sale support and after the sale support. I have helped multiple clients in trouble on set, I have loaned complete systems without charge to those in need, I have sold multiple systems to the same client because they have been happy with the service and support.

Please remember there's always two sides to a story. All I can say is, if someone needs help I can advocate for you or ask someone else here to assist and advocate for you. Our goal, just like any other retail organization, is a happy clientele that comes to us for their photographic needs and purchases.

Thanks & best,
Rich Andres
Foto Care
212-741-2990
[email protected]

David Schneider

Richard Andres has stopped by my studio and I caught up with him (and Foto Care) at the Hasselblad-Bron Color workshops in NYC during PhotoPlus week. I can tell you it's hard to find a more knowledgeable, friendly, no-pressure guy than Rich.