Site Sponsors

Thread: Question for Hasselblad users

Post Thanks / Like

Question for Hasselblad users

To the Hasselblad medium format users, did you buy yours direct from Hasselblad or go thru a dealer? I am dealing with Jeff Payne at Hasselblad and getting ready to order, but wanted to see if you thought that was the best way to go about this. I am trading in a Hasselblad H2 with a Phase One P20 back plus $13,000.
    Thanks in advance,
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for Hasselblad users

Greg,

I'm probably going to go against the grain here but I recommend dealing directly with Hasselblad. They're good people and they care about their customers. My experience with a dealer was completely opposite (I will not give their name), in fact, after being abandoned by my dealer, Hasselblad stepped in and took care of me.

Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz
    www.jecxz.com
    www.facebook.com/derek.jecxz.photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Haag View Post
    To the Hasselblad medium format users, did you buy yours direct from Hasselblad or go thru a dealer? I am dealing with Jeff Payne at Hasselblad and getting ready to order, but wanted to see if you thought that was the best way to go about this. I am trading in a Hasselblad H2 with a Phase One P20 back plus $13,000.
    Thanks in advance,
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like

I went directly through the Hasselblad representative in Austria.

Very capable, knowledgeable, well organized and friendly people.

Would recommend that path if available as compared to go through another dealer!

Best

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Derek/Peter,
    Thanks to both of you for the insight, that make me feel better about moving forward directly with Hasselblad.
    Thanks again,
    Greg

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jecxz View Post
    Greg,

I'm probably going to go against the grain here but I recommend dealing directly with Hasselblad. They're good people and they care about their customers. My experience with a dealer was completely opposite (I will not give their name), in fact, after being abandoned by my dealer, Hasselblad stepped in and took care of me.

Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz
    www.jecxz.com
    I think you should give the name..it might save someone the same BS.

Hasselblad does have great service. The H2 is also available for the upgrade to the H4x.
    Last edited by johnnygoesdigital; 15th December 2011 at 08:21.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Johnny,

I don't think that's necessary to answer Greg's question and the dealer may have realized their issues and hopefully impoved their service since then.

Please respect my choice, as I respect your choice of keeping your real identity private here on this forum.

Kind regards,
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    I think you should give the name..it might save someone the same BS.

Post Thanks / Like

Many forum members are anonymous...

When I first became interested in MFD, I looked for the best prices for new and used. These usually were posted by established dealers who wanted my business. I did not like the experience I had with Fotocare in NYC, so decided that I would deal with Hasselblad directly. Not all dealers are bad, and sometimes can be a valuable asset. Hasselblad seems unique in its direct access, and the main reason i've stayed with their products.
    Your dealer experience while unusual at these prices, should be noted, if only to protect the community as a whole.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Johnny,

I don't think that's necessary to answer Greg's question and the dealer may have realized their issues and hopefully impoved their service since then.

Please respect my choice, as I respect your choice of keeping your real identity private here on this forum.

Kind regards,
    Derek

When I first became interested in MFD, I looked for the best prices for new and used. These usually were posted by established dealers who wanted my business. I did not like the experience I had with Fotocare in NYC, so decided that I would deal with Hasselblad directly. Not all dealers are bad, and sometimes can be a valuable asset. Hasselblad seems unique in its direct access, and the main reason i've stayed with their products.
    Your dealer experience while unusual at these prices, should be noted, if only to protect the community as a whole.
    To me, there is some truth in both positions - I don't find it correct to publicly defame people in the business, but I understand johnnygoesdigital reasoning as well. A solution could be that those who are now in the market and looking for dealers get in touch directly with Derek via PM and ask away... thus protecting people going to make sizable purchases in DMF and protecting people's reputation as well.
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like

You'll always get more in a private sale then a trade-in, something to consider.
    With the current trade in HB offer I have just been quoted a trade in on a P20 400 more than I paid for it 3yrs ago. I would not expect that from a private sale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

SAME HERE.

I didn't have good luck with the dealer, but hasselblad took it over and I can't not be more happy

Greg,

Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz
    www.jecxz.com
    BlasR

BMROWLDPHOTOS.COM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vieri View Post
    To me, there is some truth in both positions - I don't find it correct to publicly defame people in the business, but I understand johnnygoesdigital reasoning as well. A solution could be that those who are now in the market and looking for dealers get in touch directly with Derek via PM and ask away...
    Vieri, Smart words.

I did not like the experience I had with Fotocare in NYC...
    Johnny, It was not a criticism regarding being anonymous. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Fotocare in NYC, I truly am sorry. Perhaps by your mentioning their name here, other prospective buyers will be protected. I do not feel I need to mention their name.

Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz
    www.jecxz.com

Post Thanks / Like

Vieri,

Thank you for the response. My intention is not to publicly, "flog" a dealer, but merely a gauge for the experience. Reputations are built on customer experience and satisfaction - that experience is representative of the industry for the most part. Perhaps the feedback section would be more appropriate for dealer experiences too, as it has done for photographers here at GetDPI. One important aspect, is the convenience of actually holding a product at a dealers location if convenient.

Great photos Vieri!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Probably the moral of all this is that "dealer" and "manufacturer" (when a manufacturer offers direct sale) are categories, not specifics.

Some manufacturer reps in some regions can be great, others not so much. Likewise with dealers some are great, others not so much. If you buy from a dealer then you only deal with that dealer, not other dealers. So it does not matter much what the reputation/results are with another unrelated dealer.

This comment is NOT specific to Hasselblad (positive or negative) but rather an advisory that the nature of the question is, IMO, flawed (understandably so). The question should be "I'm considering buying X product through Y manufacturer rep or Z dealer; does anyone have any positive/negative experience with Y or Z when buying X?"

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Post Thanks / Like

Vieri, Smart words.

Johnny, It was not a criticism regarding being anonymous. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Fotocare in NYC, I truly am sorry. Perhaps by your mentioning their name here, other prospective buyers will be protected. I do not feel I need to mention their name.

Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz
    www.jecxz.com
    That was my point... Fotocare is respected dealer in NYC, and if interested in buying MFD from them, just mention this thread, and I'm sure they'll be on their toes. No disrespect is intended by me, but if dealers know they're being "graded", I bet reputations remain intact.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug,

You're right... While on the subject, my experience with Capture Integration was amazing! For readers here, I wanted to mention that I had an obscure question about a Phase product. Dave @ CI, actually researched the question and took photos with his iphone of the item in question from his personal camera, while on the road from a hotel room! That is superb customer satisfaction. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for their input, I just order the H4D-40 directly from Jeff at Hasselblad. I should have it next week.
    Thanks again,
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Vieri, Smart words.

Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz
    www.jecxz.com
    Vieri,

Thank you for the response. My intention is not to publicly, "flog" a dealer, but merely a gauge for the experience. Reputations are built on customer experience and satisfaction - that experience is representative of the industry for the most part. Perhaps the feedback section would be more appropriate for dealer experiences too, as it has done for photographers here at GetDPI. One important aspect, is the convenience of actually holding a product at a dealers location if convenient.

Great photos Vieri!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    Probably the moral of all this is that "dealer" and "manufacturer" (when a manufacturer offers direct sale) are categories, not specifics.

Some manufacturer reps in some regions can be great, others not so much. Likewise with dealers some are great, others not so much. If you buy from a dealer then you only deal with that dealer, not other dealers. So it does not matter much what the reputation/results are with another unrelated dealer.

This comment is NOT specific to Hasselblad (positive or negative) but rather an advisory that the nature of the question is, IMO, flawed (understandably so). The question should be "I'm considering buying X product through Y manufacturer rep or Z dealer; does anyone have any positive/negative experience with Y or Z when buying X?"

Doug Peterson
    Well, it is a very thin line we are walking on here... I am all in favor of "grading" sellers, of course, but how and based on what? A form with X number of points where people vote? A different system?

To me, the problem is in the nature of the equipment more than anything else. We are talking at the same time about the Ferrari of cameras and about the finest image making equipment professionally available (for the kind of shooting you can use them); buyers expect, very reasonably so, a completely different level of service than when they buy a P&S at their WalMart, and are therefore much more sensitive to any issues that might arise both with the equipment and with customer service (also very reasonably so). For instance, see the 15$ app thread, or the comments re: having to pay full price for Capture One (not DB) after spending xx.xxx $ on a piece of equipment... to me, they all fit in the same bucket, together with expecting to be able to "hold the equipment" and test drive them, which is definitely a must and very reasonable when it comes to such equipment. However, it is at the same time much more difficult for the dealer to provide such service with Phase or Hassy or S2 gear than it is to open a box with a Coolpix or a S100. For instance in my local it is not possible to test drive anything, period - nor it is to rent equipment. Nor it is to go to a different dealer, for that matter, unless you want to go to a different country in the process

So, a great idea in principle, but not easy to implement without crossing the boundary of slander/defamation, and not easy or simply impossible to implement in other areas of the world than the US...

Just my 0.2 worth.
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a lot of experience with Fotocare. They have always been great and gone out of their way to help me out when issues with equipment come up or when I'm looking to buy something. I always deal with Rich there. I'm not questioning your experience, just letting others know my experience. I have also had great experiences with CI & DT as well. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of experience with Fotocare and have bought a fair amount of equipment from them through the years - mostly for the convenience - their shop was just a few blocks from my studio. I'm a fairly easy going guy, but I finally got sick and tired of their attitude and TERRIBLE support. My last experience was so unpleasant, that I decided never to do business with them again. There are lots of really good dealers who go out of their way to support their clients, Fotocare is not one of them.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

An interesting thread.

I really wanted to buy a Hasselblad H4D 40 - so contacted my State Dealer - at first he was pleasant and helpful.
    GREAT.

Then I could not get him to respond - I tried 4 times, even going to his office and leaving my business card - no response - so I gave up (maybe he had a valid reason but I never heard what it was).

So I then contacted the Hasselblad Dealer in Sydney, David at Silver Pixel - he was absolutely fantastic -

Unfortunately - it took quite awhile before I got down to Sydney - by then the IQ series backs were due for realease - so I choose to go with the Phase system.

If Hasselblad had provided follow up in a timely manner, I would certainly have purchased a H4D.

Service can really make the difference.

Regards.

mal
    Australia

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I deal directly with Hasselblad directly in Sydney. Their service couldn't be better from my perspective. I have had a few weird issues which they stuck with to a successful conclusion. I am very happy having only one person to deal with for the complete system. When things go wrong, there is no finger pointing.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug is absolutely correct ... specifics count.

My Hasselblad dealer in Michigan is Jim Arnosky, and is my first line of contact for any purchase, information, or trouble shooting.

He has hand-delivered every H camera I've purchased, went over it first with a fine-toothed comb, spent hours arranging for a H4D/60 demo to test against my H2F/39 Multi-shot, came to my studio and set-up my Rollei Xact-II, and spent all the time needed to shim and test a Rodenstock 120 macro, which we eventually replaced. He has had the answers to 95% of any questions I've asked, and swiftly gets answers for those he doesn't know.

Jim is an ex-studio tech, and knows more about this stuff than most photographers I know, let alone dealers.

In this case, dealing with an official dealer is preferable to dealing directly with the company. Not that anything is wrong with a direct sale, but at these prices I like one-on-one treatment and knowledgable re-assurance.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter Lorber is a Hasselblad dealer in Boca Raton, Fl. He gives his cell phone number to customers that purchase Hasselblad cameras from him and tells customers to call him anytime. I have needed help in the evening and on weekends-true to his word Peter has been available and in every case solved my problem. If you follow this site, you know that capturing and rendering an image can be complex and having a Hasselblad dealer to assist you is almost essential.

Stanley

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to deal directly with Hasselblad. The word attitude has already been mentioned above for a specific dealer and that was also what put me off. In my particular case it was actually the reason that I ended up with a Phase One back and not a Hasselblad back...

A good dealer can provide tremendous value in my opinion but those dealers are few, certainly not the majority. If the dealer is just acting as a pass through I prefer to cut him out entirely.

Post Thanks / Like

I deal directly with Hasselblad directly in Sydney. Their service couldn't be better from my perspective. I have had a few weird issues which they stuck with to a successful conclusion. I am very happy having only one person to deal with for the complete system. When things go wrong, there is no finger pointing.

Jeff, perhaps unfortunately for me I don't live in NSW - so had to wait about six months before I got to see David at Silver Pixel. I never tried to deal directly with Hasselblad NSW - so can't comment on their service - which I assume from your report is very good.

Cheers

Mal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JorisV View Post
    I tend to deal directly with Hasselblad. The word attitude has already been mentioned above for a specific dealer and that was also what put me off. In my particular case it was actually the reason that I ended up with a Phase One back and not a Hasselblad back...

A good dealer can provide tremendous value in my opinion but those dealers are few, certainly not the majority. If the dealer is just acting as a pass through I prefer to cut him out entirely.
    I couldn't agree more. In fact I was considering the purchase of Alpa equipment until I finally had enough of Fotocare and their selling/support tactics. Instead I went with Arca. Both Alpa and Arca are great technical camera systems, but I preferred doing business with DT. I feel I get better pre/post-purchase support than I ever got with FC. There are other dealers who sell Alpa in the States, but I wanted support within a reasonable proximity to my work place.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Greg,

Living here in a remote location in regards for high end photo equipment I was in big need for a supply path and therefore looking for an alternative supply for Hasselblad gear until I met Nicky West (Hasselblad UK Salesmanager for London & South East, [email protected]) two years ago, which was and still is a great fortune. She is very knowledgeable and helpful and responds very quickly to my inquiries. All my purchases have been processed smoothly and reliably. And, what is quite important for me here, she ships world wide.

Cheers, Udo

Post Thanks / Like

Udo,
    Thank you for your insight.
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like

For those of you who may have gone from a Phase back to Hasselblad, I am curious if you have any workflow suggestions. Previously, I have used a combination of Capture One Pro & PS. Are your aware of any good threads I might read? I have searched but not found anything that goes into much detail. It seems many people are incorporating Lightroom into their workflow with the Hasselblad. Any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated. I have downloaded Phocus & watched the videos from Hasselblad.
    Thanks in advance!
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Greg,
    This thread might help a bit. Pretty recent too. http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32530

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to consider is by going directly to Hasselblad you are not doing anything to build a local relationship. What happens when you want to try a lens or get an accessory or even basic help ?

If we don't support local dealers then the next time we need help, they may not be there. Also, if you buy direct then what is the incentive to help you when you go into the dealer ?

I have seen friends buy online to say $20 then as soon as they have a problem, question or need something in a hurry they expect the dealer to bend over to help them. They don't get the concept of building a relationship with your vendors.

I am sure Doug and others will agree even though this gear is really expensive, the dealers profit margin is peanuts.

Post Thanks / Like

I've worked with two Hasselblad dealers over the past five years. Both have been terrific. One is in Connecticut, the other in Tampa, Florida. These dealers have always gone out of their way to ensure that my questions and concerns are addressed accurately and quickly.
    Bob Rosinsky
    Lakeland, Florida
    www.topdogimaging.net

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for your help, it arrived tonight. My daughter was a willing sport. FYI, this was iso 1600 with imagenomic noiseware run on it. Thanks again for your help.
    Greg

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pretty good 1600 for a MFD camera huh Greg?

Maybe a touch to much skin softening for my taste ... I do a lot of this sort of post work shooting weddings and use any noise software on a layer ... then use the layers pallet slider to reduce opacity just enough to maintain some skin texture.

YMMV.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Marc,
    It was a surprisingly good file for iso 1600, this was my primary reason for going with the H4D-40 over the H4D-50.
    I am really looking forward to using this outside the studio. We have a shoot with a coffee grower/manufacturer over the holidays, this will be our maiden voyage.
    Thanks again for your help!
    Greg

Rich Andres

Hello from Foto Care

Hi Guys,
    My name is Rich Andres and I've been in the industry for over 21 years. For 14 of those years I've been with Foto Care. If anyone would like to discuss service and support issues please feel free to contact me by phone, by email, or by stopping in. I also give out my personal cell phone number to rental and sales customers, and now you, 917-886-2582.

As a senior member here I'd like to know your issues if you have them with us. I can tell you I've been here as long as I have because of service and support. That includes pre-sale support and after the sale support. I have helped multiple clients in trouble on set, I have loaned complete systems without charge to those in need, I have sold multiple systems to the same client because they have been happy with the service and support.

Please remember there's always two sides to a story. All I can say is, if someone needs help I can advocate for you or ask someone else here to assist and advocate for you. Our goal, just like any other retail organization, is a happy clientele that comes to us for their photographic needs and purchases.

Thanks & best,
    Rich Andres
    Foto Care
    212-741-2990
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Richard Andres has stopped by my studio and I caught up with him (and Foto Care) at the Hasselblad-Bron Color workshops in NYC during PhotoPlus week. I can tell you it's hard to find a more knowledgeable, friendly, no-pressure guy than Rich.