The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya AF 35mm f/3.5 D

P

Phoakm

Dear All, I am considering this lens to be added into my arsenal.
Please share your views and opinions on this lens.
Will be appreciating your feedbacks. Thanks.
:)

Paul2660

The 35mm D has been a lens I have used from day 1 after I purchased my P45.

Positives:
Small lens easy to carry
77mm filter size
AF/MF clutch outside on the lens barrel
Easy to manually focus, i.e large outer knob
Good contrast and color on the P45+
Can be found used under 800.00 U.S. most places
Extremely sharp in the center

Negative:
Soft in the corners especially from F8 down (for my lens it's sweet spot is
F8 to F14)

I only have the one negative and with Capture 1's edge sharpening, you can get back some of the detail the lens will lose. However if you are down in the F5.6 or lower range, you will get what I call detail smearing in the corners and this is hard to recover.

I recently shot this lens on a IQ180 and immediately realized why people are paying top dollar for Tech cameras! Net it is a very good performer on a P45+ but only so so on a IQ180 i.e. 80 mp back.

Phase now offers this lens in their digital D line up, however from the posts I have read from photographers who have used it, the newer lens seems to be the same as the older version from Mamiya.

Paul Caldwell
http://www.photosofarkansas.com

P

Phoakm

The 35mm D has been a lens I have used from day 1 after I purchased my P45.

Positives:
Small lens easy to carry
77mm filter size
AF/MF clutch outside on the lens barrel
Easy to manually focus, i.e large outer knob
Good contrast and color on the P45+
Can be found used under 800.00 U.S. most places
Extremely sharp in the center

Negative:
Soft in the corners especially from F8 down (for my lens it's sweet spot is
F8 to F14)

I only have the one negative and with Capture 1's edge sharpening, you can get back some of the detail the lens will lose. However if you are down in the F5.6 or lower range, you will get what I call detail smearing in the corners and this is hard to recover.

I recently shot this lens on a IQ180 and immediately realized why people are paying top dollar for Tech cameras! Net it is a very good performer on a P45+ but only so so on a IQ180 i.e. 80 mp back.

Phase now offers this lens in their digital D line up, however from the posts I have read from photographers who have used it, the newer lens seems to be the same as the older version from Mamiya.

Paul Caldwell
http://www.photosofarkansas.com
Thanks Paul. The feedback is informative. I am holding a phase one camera with leaf aptus II 6. I normally doing portrait shoot. The sharpness at the center is my main requirement. Will be considering it and together with a v-grip air in this purchase.