Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm for Alpa and Sinar - Coming Soon!

  1. #1
    carbonmetrictree
    Guest

    Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm for Alpa and Sinar - Coming Soon!

    So, my main concern with my current purchase of a Rodenstock 28HR is that I couldn't afford to have a small image circle with the Schneider 24XL and not be able to shift. So I decided to wait to purchase this lens a few months down the road once I get comfortable with the 28HR, it was a good thing I waited instead of buying both!

    The first I heard of this was from Thierry for Sinar's ArTec camera coming out. I double checked Alpa's site, and to my surprise, they have listed it as well!

    Thierry, I guess I won't be buying that ArTec just for the 23HR



    The HR Digaron-S 23 mm with the shortest focal length of all digital Rodenstock lenses. The lens will be shown at Photokina 2008 for the first time on our booth.




    Product info
    Manufacturer Linos/Rodenstock
    Product HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm (introduction 2008/2009)
    Details Shutter: Copal 0
    Aperture: f 5.6 - f 32
    Image circle at full aperture: 70 mm
    Image circle at f 11: 70 mm
    Max. angle: 112 °
    Distance settings: 0.25 m - infinity



    Lance at Capture Integration will be keeping me posted on the release of this lens as Photokina nears.
    Last edited by carbonmetrictree; 15th September 2008 at 12:52.

  2. #2
    JEM_DTG
    Guest

    Re: Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm for Alpa and Sinar - Coming Soon!

    Here is some information direct from Linos/Rodenstock's datasheet on the Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23mm, which will be making its way into the ALPA 12 platform, and I believe into the Sinar arTec platform.

    HR Digaron-S 23mm f/5.6

    The new Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 23 mm f/5.6 is the first super wide-angle lens providing a large image circle of 70mm and a flange focal length and back focal length allowing its use with nearly all types of technical cameras. Its optical construction has been optimized to meet the requirements of digital
    photography. An almost diffraction limited high resolution is achieved in the whole image area already for a full aperture.

    So sensors with a pixel pitch down to 6 μm and a resolution up to approx. 60 megapixels can tap their full potential. Especially photographers of (interior) architecture or landscapes, who had to use an analog film for taking extreme image angles until now, will be highly impressed by this lens. The focal length of 23 mm for a 37x49 mm sensor corresponds to a focal length of 16 mm for a 24x36 mm sensor.

    • The back focal length of 16.5 mm is only 1 mm shorter compared to the HR Digaron-S 28 mm and leaves enough space between the rear mount and the sensor for swing-and-tilt movements without touching the sensor or rear standard.
    • The flange focal length of approx. 45 mm allows focusing at infinity with almost all technical camera models. On many of these cameras a flat lens board can be applied, which makes it much easier to set the aperture and the shutter speed and permits the use of the Rollei Electronic shutter.
    • The retro-focus design causes a steeper light incidence at the margin. So the further fall-off in illumination, which is inevitable when using micro lens sensors, can be avoided.
    • No vignetting occures already for the full aperture f/5.6.
    • The optical effect of the sensor cover glass has been taken into account in the optic calculation for eliminating its spherical and chromatic aberration, as well as its astigmatism.
    • The high tech multi-coating provides for ultimate transmission, excellent contrast and freedom of ghost and flare.
    • The HR Digaron-S 23 mm f/5.6 in Copal shutter size 0 is available also with the “Focus-Mount” helical focuser.
    • An especially designed center filter is in preparation

    The lens series Apo-Sironar Digital HR so far will be re-named as HR Digaron-S like the new HR Digaron-S 23 mm f/5,6.

    In additional I have provided a link to the PDF data-sheet for download.

    Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23mm Data-sheet

  3. #3
    Workshop Member lance_schad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Phila./NY
    Posts
    1,146
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    19

    Re: Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm for Alpa and Sinar - Coming Soon!

    So do you think this comment will make this lens usable with the Kodak 31MP sensor with MicroLenses?
    "• The retro-focus design causes a steeper light incidence at the margin. So the further fall-off in illumination, which is inevitable when using micro lens sensors, can be avoided."

    L
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

  4. #4
    JEM_DTG
    Guest

    Re: Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm for Alpa and Sinar - Coming Soon!

    For those who have specific questions, we currently have the Rodenstock APO-Sironar Digital HR 4.5/28mm, 4.0/35mm, and 4.0/60mm in stock, and have been testing our demo units on the entire ALPA 12 camera range. To no surprise, we have found the ALPA 12 MAX to provide the greatest capability with this lens, in allowing for maximum rise, fall, and shift. An easily overlooked design feature of the ALPA 12 MAX is the specific application for mounting the lens on the rear sled, and the back on the front sled, allowing for even greater movements, depending on the orientation of the camera.

    I am happy answer questions, as the Rodenstock APO-Sironar Digital HR (soon to be names HR Digaron-S) range of lenses are the best possible lens line to compliment the ALPA 12 cameras.

    Regards,

    Jordan Miller

  5. #5
    JEM_DTG
    Guest

    Re: Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm for Alpa and Sinar - Coming Soon!

    Judging by the performance of the APO Sironar Digital HR 4.5/28mm, I would not expect there to be much issue using this lens with the current 31MP, micro-lens'd sensor. Extensive movements could be another story.

    The statement quoted is referring the specific lens design that attempts to compliment an imaging sensor with micro-lenses.

    Photokina should be exciting.

    Regards,

    Jordan Miller

    Quote Originally Posted by lance_schad View Post
    So do you think this comment will make this lens usable with the Kodak 31MP sensor with MicroLenses?
    "• The retro-focus design causes a steeper light incidence at the margin. So the further fall-off in illumination, which is inevitable when using micro lens sensors, can be avoided."

    L

  6. #6
    Natasa Stojsic
    Guest

    Re: Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm for Alpa and Sinar - Coming Soon!

    Quote Originally Posted by carbonmetrictree View Post
    So, my main concern with my current purchase of a Rodenstock 28HR is that I couldn't afford to have a small image circle with the Schneider 24XL and not be able to shift. So I decided to wait to purchase this lens a few months down the road once I get comfortable with the 28HR, it was a good thing I waited instead of buying both!

    The first I heard of this was from Thierry for Sinar's ArTec camera coming out. I double checked Alpa's site, and to my surprise, they have listed it as well!

    Thierry, I guess I won't be buying that ArTec just for the 23HR

    I already checked with Alpa, they are expecting to start delivery of 23HR after the NEW YEAR!!!

    So Andrew, by than.... I am more likely to own even 23HR

    I wish... we'll see

  7. #7
    thsinar
    Guest

    Re: Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm for Alpa and Sinar - Coming Soon!

    ... and why should/could that not be?



    Best regards,
    Thierry


    Quote Originally Posted by carbonmetrictree View Post

    Thierry, I guess I won't be buying that ArTec just for the 23HR

    [/B]

  8. #8
    thsinar
    Guest

    Re: Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm for Alpa and Sinar - Coming Soon!

    Yes, it is (will be) available for the arTec.

    Best regards,
    Thierry

    Quote Originally Posted by JEM_DTG View Post
    Here is some information direct from Linos/Rodenstock's datasheet on the Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23mm, which will be making its way into the ALPA 12 platform, and I believe into the Sinar arTec platform.

  9. #9
    carbonmetrictree
    Guest

    Re: Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm for Alpa and Sinar - Coming Soon!

    Well, maybe I'll retract that statement. I just purchased an ALPA 12 Max with the 28HR, maybe I'll buy both and switch from the ArTec to the 12Max every other shoot just for fun -That is if I could possibly borrow an ArTec and the new 23HR lens from you for...say 10 years?

    I can't say anything bad about the 12 Max or the ArTec, I feel like both of these cameras provide exactly what we need and are flawless in design.

    Quote Originally Posted by thsinar View Post
    ... and why should/could that not be?



    Best regards,
    Thierry

    Actually, that might be perfect timing for the lens! I'll just sell all of my Christmas presents off to put down a down payment right after the New Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Natasa Stojsic View Post
    I already checked with Alpa, they are expecting to start delivery of 23HR after the NEW YEAR!!!

    So Andrew, by than.... I am more likely to own even 23HR

    I wish... we'll see
    Last edited by carbonmetrictree; 15th September 2008 at 17:44.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Graham Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    London/Kiev
    Posts
    1,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm for Alpa and Sinar - Coming Soon!

    I just realised... 70mm image circle. That's exactly enough to cover a full 645 size sensor (56x42mm). Coincidence? I'd love to see the image quality from that combination!

  11. #11
    carbonmetrictree
    Guest

    Re: Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm for Alpa and Sinar - Coming Soon!

    Oh you will, and it will be the most amazing day ever.

    I can't believe I actually lost sleep because of this lens

    Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    I just realised... 70mm image circle. That's exactly enough to cover a full 645 size sensor (56x42mm). Coincidence? I'd love to see the image quality from that combination!

  12. #12
    thsinar
    Guest

    Re: Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm for Alpa and Sinar - Coming Soon!

    to all, concerning this topic. some first impressions and tests:

    We have just got the first Rodenstock 23 VHR here at Sinar and the results look very great, used with the Sinar arTec. The 70mm image circle allows at least 10mm shift at f8 (with eMotion 75). No CA or other distorsions visible in the files.

    It seems to be again a very nice HR lens with superb IQ.

    Best regards,
    Thierry

  13. #13
    carbonmetrictree
    Guest

    Re: Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm for Alpa and Sinar - Coming Soon!

    Thanks for the update Thierry! How is the sharpness wide open? I've been testing out the 28HR and it does a superb job at f/4.5, I'm hoping that this lens will be as good or even better than the 28HR.

    Andrew

    Quote Originally Posted by thsinar View Post
    to all, concerning this topic. some first impressions and tests:

    We have just got the first Rodenstock 23 VHR here at Sinar and the results look very great, used with the Sinar arTec. The 70mm image circle allows at least 10mm shift at f8 (with eMotion 75). No CA or other distorsions visible in the files.

    It seems to be again a very nice HR lens with superb IQ.

    Best regards,
    Thierry

  14. #14
    thsinar
    Guest

    Re: Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm for Alpa and Sinar - Coming Soon!

    I have honestly not been able to shoot a lot, only some test shots at f8, not 5.6. But I expect the quality to be identical, as it is usually with Rodenstock lenses when shot full open, like the 28 HR.

    The lens is now packed already and will leave to Photokina, in our car tomorrow morning: we will try to drive carefully for this jewel to arrive safe!


    Best regards,
    Thierry

    Quote Originally Posted by carbonmetrictree View Post
    Thanks for the update Thierry! How is the sharpness wide open? I've been testing out the 28HR and it does a superb job at f/4.5, I'm hoping that this lens will be as good or even better than the 28HR.

    Andrew

  15. #15
    carbonmetrictree
    Guest

    Re: Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm for Alpa and Sinar - Coming Soon!

    You might run into a masked robber on the way to Photokina, I promise it won't be me!



    Quote Originally Posted by thsinar View Post
    I have honestly not been able to shoot a lot, only some test shots at f8, not 5.6. But I expect the quality to be identical, as it is usually with Rodenstock lenses when shot full open, like the 28 HR.

    The lens is now packed already and will leave to Photokina, in our car tomorrow morning: we will try to drive carefully for this jewel to arrive safe!


    Best regards,
    Thierry

  16. #16
    thsinar
    Guest

    Re: Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm for Alpa and Sinar - Coming Soon!

    we are 2 in the car, and have some 90cm Sinar p2 rail extensions with us: no danger, as efficient as a baseball bat!


    Thierry


    Quote Originally Posted by carbonmetrictree View Post
    You might run into a masked robber on the way to Photokina, I promise it won't be me!

  17. #17
    jmboss
    Guest

    Re: Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm for Alpa and Sinar - Coming Soon!

    Now even though it's early in the game, would there be a MSRP or a "street price" available on this lens yet?

    Joe Bossuyt

  18. #18
    carbonmetrictree
    Guest

    Re: Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 5.6/23 mm for Alpa and Sinar - Coming Soon!

    I'm guessing it will be around the same as the 28HR or even more. I'm just hoping it is not as huge of a jump like the Mamiya 28mm, I couldn't afford to purchase a $10,000 lens!


    LOL! Don't worry, I'll have my bellows cut open to use as armor.

    I mean..not that I would EVER think about taking you two on at the same time

    Quote Originally Posted by thsinar View Post
    we are 2 in the car, and have some 90cm Sinar p2 rail extensions with us: no danger, as efficient as a baseball bat!


    Thierry

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •