The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya AFD III vertical grip announced

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Photokina 2008
Vertical Grip (Prototype)

2008/09/16

Mamiya Digital Imaging is pleased to unveil at Photokina 2008 a vertical grip for use with the 645AFDIII series.

# Features
This is a vertical grip for use with the 645AFDIII series. The grip features a shutter release button, a release mode selector, an AE lock button and AF lock button all for the convenience of the photographer for when shooting vertically. This product has been designed with the portrait photographer in mind, allowing for ease of shooting no matter what angle your creativity is demanding. The grip can be powered by either AA batteries or rechargeable nickel hydride batteries. Remaining battery power of the grip can be displayed on the camera LCD. Once again Mamiya has anticipated and responded to the needs of the professional by manufacturing this essential item.

# Specifications

Compatible cameras: the 645AFDIII series
Features:
shutter release button, release mode selector, AE and AF lock buttons, rear and front electronic dials.

Dimensions: 153mm (L)x115mm (H) x 78 (W)
Weight: 400g (batteries included)
Date of First Sales: To be announced
Price: To be announced

Mamiya Digital Imaging Co., Ltd

Ben Rubinstein

Makes a lot of sense. Leaf have their new rotating sensor which neagtes the need but for the other manufacturers who are trying to make MFDB shooting a DSLR experience, a vertical grip is a very good idea.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Makes a lot of sense. Leaf have their new rotating sensor which neagtes the need but for the other manufacturers who are trying to make MFDB shooting a DSLR experience, a vertical grip is a very good idea.
Well said Ben. Not as versatile as a rotating back on a 6x6 WLF body, but a definite plus on 645 body. I'll want one :)

yaya

Well it's about time! Shame it won't work on the AFDII and AFD (likely a firmware/ PCB issue) and I hope it's as well built and as affordable as the Contax MP-1 grip.

Yair

C

carbonmetrictree

I'm guessing this will work for the Phase 645 too?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It will Andrew, the Phase/Mamiya AFDIII is identical to the Mamiya AFDIII other than badging ;)

dfarkas

Workshop Member
This is something I actually asked my Mamiya rep to pass up the food chain 8 months ago. I doubt that my request had anything to do with this announcement, but I am pleased nevertheless.

I'll check it out at Phootokina, along with the new Mamiya leaf-shutter lenses.

David

Don Libby

This brings a whole new question of a new L bracket kinda like the difference between the 5D with and without the battery grip.

don