The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CFV-39 digital back and a missed opportunity to sell thousands of them.

stephengilbert

"BTW excuse this detour from the topic?"

The topic? As I recall, the topic was Hassy missing the boat in its product choices. That topic ended about 95 posts ago.

fotografz

Marc,
Let's hope that neither the Hy6/AFi or the S2 are 'dead ends'! When I had my DMR, I never thought Leica would kill the R system. Great camera as I'm sure the S2 is, however I'm still a bit put off from buying into another leica system since I don't trust they'll be kind. Stop and look at it - do you know for sure Leica will update the S2 with a new sensor or complete the lens line up? Probably as good a chance that someone will provide an updated back for the Hy6 in the future (we just got the AFi-ii 12 last year which is still available). Still the Hy6 path lets you default back to film and there's a plethora of legacy lenses available.

Eric
Reasonable observations and questions Eric.

I was lured to the S2 right from the start, but did not buy into it for over a year. Two Lenses wasn't a system, and the camera still needed work. Now it is 5 lenses, adapters for some interesting optics like the new Schneider 120 T/S, and firmware has significantly improved the camera's performance. The S2 is a focal plane camera so there are a vast selection of adaptable lenses available ... which I have zero interest in. Been there, done that.

I actually do not care if Leica ever upgrades the S2 sensor. Larger sensor 40 meg is a sweet spot for use hand held as well as studio tripod work. I only desire one more lens to add to the four I have ... and that is the next one in the lens line-up slotted for release in 2012 ... a S-24/2.8 ASPH. There are some who would like a focal length longer than the current 180 (longer is also planned), I am not one of them.

I don't think the R and S2 are the same scenario. The R had its multi-decade run ... all of the lenses are manual focus, and a digital R10 would competing with Canikony. A R10 would have looked to the past, instead Leica invented their own future. The DMR was excellent, but for that type of work, the Nikon D3X system killed it. On the other hand, there is nothing quite like the S2, and most certainly no lenses like the S optics.

At least that is my take on it ... whether it is justification or not, the same opinion as others or not ... is not at issue for me. I made the decision, and do not regret it at all. No buyers remorse what-so-ever. Been a long time since that happened :)

It is conceivable that as I move forward in the coming year(s), the S2 and M9/10 will be the only tools I choose to work with.

We'll see.

Anyway ... Happy New Year!

-Marc

fotografz

It is somewhat more advanced than the Contax 645 (which I also own). It has spot metering in every viewfinder, for example, focus trap, but for me the big draw is its ability to do 6x6 as well as host a digital back. There are also many more lenses for it, and much more system around it (bellows, flash accessories, and so on).

I wouldn't call Walker Evans and William Eggleston "legacy products", btw. :) A camera goes out of date, or loses support, a photographer not.
To be fair, the Contax 645 also has a Auto Bellows system ... in fact a T/S bellows, my buddy has one.

It also could accept a huge range of 500 and 200 series Zeiss V lenses via the NAM-1 Adapter ... including the V Mutar shift unit. I even had a Mamiya to C adapter to use a Mamiya 500 mirror and a 14 fisheye ;)

The flash system was more than fine because modules were readily available from Metz and Sunpak ... I used a TTL 120J bare bulb and all the Quantum modifiers with mine.

The C645 vacuum film backs were quite the thing, really did flatten the film in the carrier and led to higher quality negs.

6X6 film is another matter. For that I personally prefer 6X7 ... but the square does have it's charms :thumbup:

-Marc